“INCREDIBLY WONDERFUL”

Ranked #67 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GA
“INCREDIBLY WONDERFUL”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

everything at the Tides is wonderful. From the moment you arrive all the staff members work as team to make sure that you are happy. And happy we were! One person is only nicer than the next. EVERYONE was very friendly and more than helpful. I have stayed at some very nice and expensive hotels with good reputations and the TIdes far exceeded all of them. The room was beautiful and spotless and the food was fantastic. The mojitos are the best "this side of Cuba" I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
TSBManager, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear GaCare,

We are highly grateful for the feedback you have shared for your recent stay at The Tides South Beach.

My colleagues and I are especially proud of your recognition as we take pride in providing our guests with intuitive service and strive to do so as a team.

I have shared your thoughts on our Mojitos with our Food and Beverage team and they are extremely pleased.

We will look forward to welcoming you back soon and remain at your service.

Jorge Gutierrez

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, England
Reviewed September 9, 2010

A great art-deco hotel right on Ocean Drive - with great service; good sized rooms, a lovely pool area and also loungers and umbrellas on the beach. We stayed here for 4 nights and everything about it was great - the service is pretty full on - they Mr and Mrs you at every occasion and practically run to press the lift button before you do - but were genuinely friendly. We ate at their restaurant which was good - a bit pricey, but food was good. Ask for a corner room if you can and the higher up you are - the better the sea view! Very comfy beds too,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I have recently returned from a week stay ( last week of July) at The Tides in South Beach and the experience exceeded all of my expectations in a hotel. From the moment my friend and I presented ourselves at the front desk till our departure, we were greeted with extreme friendliness and hospitality. We were checked in immediately, receiving our room key cards by the most charming front desk assistants named Brooke and Stephanie, while our luggage was brought to our room. Brooke was extremely helpful and pleasant in facilitating our arrival and getting us settled. The lobby is exquisite, beautifully decorated with an inviting ambience. Our room was gorgeous and fitted with the most comfortable bed and linens I have ever slept in. The room service was impeccable, servicing our room even if we decided to sleep in and only leave at, let's see, some days it was 3:00 pm maybe 4:00 pm once. The entire staff went above and beyond with service and always anticipated our needs. For example, I was asked if I would like a cold bottle of water several times in a day (dispensed generously), needed my car or needed assistance in anything whatsoever ...consistently. I would like to add, the personal assistant at the front desk, Francisco, contributed greatly to our fabulous vacation. He did everything from handling our reservations at restaurants to explaining with great patience the sights to see and all the upcoming nightlife options, even brought our cocktails to the room with extreme promptness and always carried with him a brilliant smile. He gave us the impression as though we were the only guests at the hotel and it was his mission to make sure we were happy and content. To sum up our experience, the entire staff was incredible, has a superb location at 12th & Ocean, fantastic shopping area a few minutes away by foot, beach just in front of hotel, had masterfully created drinks especially their mojitos, I did not have a sit down meal at the hotel's restaurant but can comment on the tastiness and enjoyment of the food during room service. Next time anyone is planning a visit to South Beach, consider this hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We had a wonderful week at The Tides and enjoyed exploring South Beach from such a beautiful base. Great service, modern, clean rooms and perfect location.

The only point I wish to make (and this is purely precautionary) We booked through Virgin Holidays and obviously paid for our accommodation in advance, however on leaving we were given a bill for the full price of accommodation again and the hotel apparently had no recognition of our virgin 'voucher' which offered a receipt of prior payment.

Whilst they did not charge us when we left and assured us they would follow up the matter with Virgin directly the whole incident was really embarrassing and quite frankly rather stressful not least because as we needed to leave promptly to get an internal flight and the whole debacle held us up.

It was handled as best as it could be there and then, however I was assured that someone would call us to confirm that it had been dealt with. Following a series of calls to The Tides (from a UK mobile from the Bahamas!) with no response, I can only assume it was sorted!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Leyland UK
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at the Tides for 4 nights from 21st August following a weeks cruise .We had stayed at the Epic Hotel for a couple of nights pre cruise in Biscayne Bay .This was a special holiday for our 50th birthdays with our 13 year old son and we decided to stay at the number 1 rated hotels in Biscayne Bay and South Beach.Dont get me wrong the Tides is a very good hotel and we enjoyed our stay but there were a few things I just didnt get unlike the Epic which was just fantastic .
We received an email from guest services during our cruise with restaurent recommendations and asking if we had any special needs .I had already advised the hotel of our boys allergy to feather pillows and this was received and foam ones provided.I also advised the hotel that we would be arriving early around 9.30am as we were arriving from a cruise ship.We got a taxi from the port but had a bad experience with the cab driver .He did not know were the hotel was and whilst driving up and down South Beach was waved down by some people .He stopped the cab and said ' heres your hotel' and told us he needed the fare from the people who waved him dowm.We were on the beach side of the road so got our lugggage from the boot crossed the road to find we were not at the Tides .We also in the rush left our sons camera bag with video and digital cameras in the back of the car but it was too late he had driven off .We had to walk some 2 blocks to find the Tides with help from a few people .We arrived at the front of the hotel but it was dead ,nobody on the doors so we had to carry our cases up the steps and into the lobby .We were greeted with a 'you checking out ' I said no 'checking in ' Our bags were then taken from us and we checked in .As expected our room was not ready but we were given free drinks while we waited .It was our intention to have a walk but we explained to the reception the issue with the taxi and could they do anything to try to trace the driver has we did have the taxi number if not the firm.They basically made a token effort but said there were many firms in Miami and if it wasnt the firm they used it was virtually impossible for them to trace.We later found out that this was not as hard as they made out .A call to Miami Dade taxi regulators later in our holiday informed us that it was an airport registered cab and they gave us lost properrty details .We tried there and a lady gave us the airport taxi telephone number after confirming no items had been handed in.A nice lady at the airport told us that the cab number was registered and tried to page the driver without luck .We left our hotel details and she promised to contact us if they had contact with the driver .They didnt so we have made a formal complaint to the authorities about the conduct of the driver.At the end of the day it was our fault and we will try our holiday insurance.I would like to say the Tides went the extra mile to help but they didnt.
Now to the hotel . We were escorted to our room at about 11am which was a nice suprise and told we could have our welcome martinis anytime .We chose to have them at the pool later .We had booked an oceanfront studio suite .Now dont get me wrong the room was nice and maybe its because its South Beach but anyone expecting a suite , a suite it isnt .Its a normal hotel room with 2 double beds ,closset ,safe, Nespresso coffee machine , mini bar . large TV and nice bathroom.There are 2 chairs and a table with a small window with views of the Beach.I have never been to a hotel with so little information in a room .No book with anything about the hotel just a room service menu.No TV guide etc etc.I also founds the personal assistant thing a little bizzare .It is not a butler service .We rang the button onj the phone several times and it was basically answered guest services just like any hotel .We paid $1339 for 4 nights inc a free night !! Internet is $9.99 a day ( free computer and internet access at Epic hotel )
Katherine at the pool was a very nice young lady who was about Sunday and the last day of our stay Wednesday.There was no pool service on the Sunday at all and Monday and Tuesday it was sparce .The pool area is small but nice with 2 large cabana area's at each end .There are no private cabanas.We ordered lunch at the pool the first day 2 turkey club sandwiches for my wife and son and belly pork for me .They were very big portions both should have come with fries but I was told they had no belly pork left so I opted for the wagu beef sliders which were basically 3 mini nice burgers .I asked for a portion of fries as they diid not come with them.Katherine gave us 3 scoops of ice cream free as they didnt have my sandwhich but whoever prepared the bill charged me $6 for the fries even though they came free with my original sandwich ! We had $6 mojitos later in the day which were nice.
Later that night we ate on South Beach at Medi which we found to be moderate at best.Way overpriced and like most on South Beach its 2 for 1 drinks.Be careful as there are no prices on the menues and some of the cocktails are min $19 and up to $35 so if you want 1 its expensive ! I also hate the practice of adding 18% tip then the additional line for extra tip .This was the same on the cruise ship and you get most servers sulkong if you dont add .There is just no way I am paying anything above 18% unless its a one off ! We ate breakfast up thr road at the Carlyle hotel for $4.25 which they do till 1.30pm.Only issue again here was one day I wanted a beer just 1 and it was $16 because it was 2 for 1 so I had to have 2 !!
The Tides did a lunch special at $9.99 .It was nice but my skirt steak and fries was the smallest portion I have ever had .A handful of fries and a steak which went in 2 mouthfuls !! We had room service one evening .The food was good but again ordered a portion of fries which were didnt arrive with the order .The man who brought the order had to go back to get a portion which took a while and we had to start our food .Again not the service i was expecting at this hotel and for the rate paid .
The hotel provides free beds and umbrellas at the beach across the road which is run by a firm called Boucher Bros .The staff were very nice but if you didnt stay at the hotel the charge was $18 for a bed and $15 for an umbrella .You can see why the locals lie on towels !!
We ate one night a TJI Fridays on 5th Street about a 10 min walk away .Great food and cocktails the best we had and just $9 and none of the 2 for 1 nonsense.We also ate at Larios on the Beach Gloria Estefans place at 8th Street and this was brilliant .The best food we had decent prices , very nice venue and great cocktails at $11.
In summary yes the Tides is a good place to stay .Did it blow me away as expected and like the Epic Hotel which was half the price ? no it didnt .The staff are very nice so I can only blame the management.It appears very Disney like in its pricing .Its a recession and it aint going to get the same volume of customers ( the hotel was very quiet when we were there) but it charges more provides less and knows it will still get its loyal customers and new ones who know no different .South Beach is vibrant and a great place to stay and we just took the view this is South Beach you have to pay but speaking to someone who stayed at the Victor Hotel it would appear they got what we got if not more for half the price .Thats my view - overall met our expectaions but did not exceed them . We hope to visit South Beach again for longer next time and we now know the ins and outs .We will probably stay somewhere else even though the location here is great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JlemaTSB, Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback on your recent stay at The Tides South Beach. We have reviewed your valuable comments in the spirit intended and sincerely appreciate the comments you shared.

First, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate events your family experienced during your stay with us. We have addressed these deficiencies with the utmost urgency as this is not indicative of the service we pride ourselves in providing. We take pride in serving our guests from the moment they arrive and please understand that we have shared your comments with the appropriate departments in efforts to avoid this from reoccurring.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at (305) 604-5070 or at Jorge.gutierrez@thetidesresorts.com when your travels bring you back to Miami as we would like to restore your confidence in The Tides.

Jorge Gutierrez
Director of Rooms
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We spent 4 days at The Tides in Miami as part of a 2 month break in the Americas - and this really hotel stood out. The service was amazing - in all of our travelling we've not yet come across a hotel with better service! a welcome drink, organising our dinners at top restaurants - no task was too small. The hotel is beautiful - very trendy, very elegant and you cant ask for a better location. Thanks again for making our stay in Miami such a highlight on our trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
JHB, South Africa
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The staff was very friendly and helpfull. We enjoyed staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple