“Outstanding Miami Vacation”

The Tides South Beach
Ranked #69 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over Labor Day weekend 2013 in the Amber Suite. The reservation process went smoothly. I booked online but then due to some travel plan changes called the hotel to switch some dates around. They were extrememly helpful in helping me, being accomdating, and explaining the changes in price. Upon arrival check in was fast and efficient. I arrived early at 1pm but my room was ready and my luggage was very quickly taken to my room. There were free welcome drinks and complementary sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Lori at the front desk greated me by name every time I walked by. She was absolutely amazing.

The best part of the room was the amazing bathroom that overlooked the beach. The tub was comfy and the separate glass shower were both big enough for two and had the best ocean view of any hotel that I have stayed in in the US.

The food is good but a bit pricey. Some people complained about the noise. I thought it was Ok on the 9th floor and I slept great with the windows closed. For those who complained about it, it is South Beach and noise from the awesome night life is expected. I never used the pool because it was tiny and ticked away but it's Miami Beach so I mich rather go to the beach anyway. Housekeeping was great. They cleaned our room twice a day.

I would recommend this hotel based on outstanding quality and location. You can walk to everything in South Beach! This trip was a splurge for my husband and I so we went all out for the suite. We would definitely come back on a regular vacation stay in one of the regular rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Kristine H
Tides-Management, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your comment and for taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled you had an outstanding vacation! We will make sure the positive feedback is passed on to Nori. Please come back and stay with us very soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's the Fourth time we stay at the the Tides from 08/12/13 to 08/19/13
We saw the difference after it has been sale to King and Grove 2 years ago Less of service, no welcome drinks, no free espresso in room, no one at the door etc...
This year they transform the terrace outside like the others, a cheap ocean drive restaurant
Before, they use to have big couches , we loved to have a drink, grab a appetizer we loved to have lunch every day. This year we stayed 10 days we just eat once the first day, we never returned , bad food, no service ! The french Manager never said hello to us during our 10 days stay ( we speak the same language) When you see him, you know that he can't run a classy/ trendy restaurant. He made of this place a poor place!
About the Service with other guest we wait like 45' for covers and towels at the pool
after several calls the guy just came with 3 towels with no cover.
We asked for something to eat we are still waiting.
Conclusion: no management in this hotel and it is not as classy then before!!!
Good thing: people nat the front desk are pros and very helpful.
Sorry about my poor english but i want that this review can be read by everybody
We will never go back! OK they have nice room but a hotel it's not only that
Régis Pierre

Room Tip: 7th or 8th floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank regis P

Mr. Pierre, thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience. We are terribly sorry that you had such a bad experience and want you to know that we take these comments very seriously. I will be looking into each service breakdown you experienced and all will be addressed thoroughly. We still provide a welcome drink and have actually updated/changed the drink per guest feedback. I will find out why you were not served one of our new drinks at check-in. We also have a new restaurant manager since your stay and he is wonderful with the guests; we are delighted to have him on the team and know he will make a strong impact on service levels. I hope we have your contact information as we will be sending you a complimentary stay. We hope you will change your mind and give us another chance to prove we are still an excellent hotel.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

After reading a few of the other reviews, I feel as though the first thing to address is the noise. I stayed in a room on the 6th floor, and yes, I could hear music from the street below, and from the gay club next door at night. However, it wasn't (in my opinion) an unreasonable level of sound. My bed wasn't moving around, and I was able to sleep without trouble. The bed is set quite far back from the window, and I went into the experience knowing that I would be a) staying on South Beach's party street and b) staying there on a weekend. You don't go to New York and expect to hear birdsongs-- you hear traffic! To me, South Beach/Ocean Drive is much the same; if you want to be in the heart of the action, you're probably going to hear some of that action. There are hotels that are quieter, but they're a few blocks from the main drag.

So, noise aside, how was the rest of it? For the most part, great. The room is massive, and the view of the Ocean is gorgeous. There was plenty of space for luggage, lounging, and so on. At a glance the room and decor is quite beautiful, but up close I noticed that the rooms are getting a tiny bit worn. Nothing major, but might be time for a bit of a refresh.

The food was my least favorite aspect of the experience. We ordered a chicken sandwich and guacamole with chips as a snack to share among two. The guacamole was pretty good, as were the fries that came with the sandwich, but the sandwich itself was pretty greasy. I suppose I expected something a little better, given the beauty of the hotel and the higher star rating. Prices were decent, but when the food is only so-so, it makes the price seem less reasonable.

The bell staff and front desk agents were the highlight of the experience for me. They remembered my name after the first meeting, were always very friendly and warm without being over the top. They took care of requests seamlessly.

All in all, a good experience!

2  Thank RunCatchKiss
Tides-Management, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you so very for your comment. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and appreciated the time taken to share this feedback with us. We pleased that you had a nice experience at the Tides South Beach. We are taking steps to address the existing wear and tear in the guest rooms as well as the quality of food in the restaurant. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Fine if you want somewhere to clean up. Nice hotel and staff. Mykonos volume music from the hotel's own sound system from 12 till 12. Even louder music from the gay bar next door till 3. They get the noise enforcement teams round almost daily but the bar just pays the fine and carries on. Slept on the bathroom floor.

Great for stag / bachelorette weekends.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice but to stay here, stay no lower than 9th/ 10th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank V R

We are very sorry to hear about your experience and the disturbance from the music in our restaurant and next door. We are constantly doing everything we can to enforce the noise ordinance, as our goal is minimal to no disruption to our guests. This is a battle we will continue to fight with our local authorities.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights after ten nights in Disney.

Great location looking across beach and rooms large and clean.

Food expensive and service haphazard but this is a very bohemian area and you go with the flow. We just thought that with staff in the restaurant being a bit more attentive the place would be great.

For a couple of days in South Beach though tough to beat.

• Stayed: August 2013
Tides-Management, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments and constructive feedback. We take the experience of each and every guest very seriously and want to ensure that everyone has a flawless and memorable experience. We take your feedback to heart and will look into each of your concerns - the restaurant prices and service. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights and didn't have a good nights sleep a single night!

I know it's on Ocean so we should have expected it, but it is probably on the loudest section of the front due to the gay bar outside.

We initially stayed on the 3rd floor, corner room. Room was fine but I felt it needed a bit of an update, as well as having very long and big unusual layout. We complained about the noise and they very kindly moved us up to a lovely room on the 7th. This room was even bigger and seemed like it had been taken care of a bit more. I wouldn't have paid the $200 extra an night they said it would cost (they upgraded us for free) and the noise was almost the same. Great views of the ocean though.

Don't know why some reviewers are so bothered about the glass shower thing, if you do like privacy you can barely see through it anyway especially when it mists up, and there's another frosted glass panel between the bath and toilet, so you really aren't visible! Plus there's a DOOR you can shut people!

The hotel is lovely to look at and has a good private beach we used every day.

Room Tip: Email before you go and ask for a higher room - if you pay the lowest room rate the highest you can...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you are your feedback and I apologize for the noise issues you experienced. This is an on going issue for us and we try continuously to enforce the noise ordinance with our neighbors. We will continue to work on this in an effort to ensure a pleasant experience for our guests.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here on the last few days of our US holiday. Overall the service and room was great! We were on level 4 and had a great view of the beach and the hotel pool was great. We also utilised the complimentary beach chairs and umbrella service at the beach which was fantastic. As many other reviews state it can be noisy on the left side of the building (as you look at it from the street) as the bar next door has performances that venture onto the footpath and can get quite noisy but finish up at a reasonable time.
As for the food - Dinner was GREAT! I had the lobster tail and my partner had the fish burger both very tasty and filling with a soft drink each and the generous 18% gratuity included (whether it was deserved or not) came to just over $100.
My caution about price is based on our breakfast the following morning – 2 scrambled eggs, a bowl of fruit with 2 orange juice and water $57 – of course this includes the 18% gratuity ‘added for your convenience’! I was appalled given the strawberries were basically rotten and definitely inedible. 2 doors up there are breakfasts for $6! Go for a wander – it’s worth it!

3  Thank Tess J

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. Constructive feedback is invaluable to us and we appreciate that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts and experience. We will look into the prices at the restaurant as we want to ensure that our guests are being charged fairly based on the area. Thank you again and we hope you will come back to visit us soon!