“VIP Treatment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Nashville, Tennessee
“VIP Treatment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We arrived at our hotel, King and Grove, by 1pm. Our check in time was 3pm so we planned to leave or bags at the front desk and to enjoy a late lunch but to our surprise they let us check in early. We were shown to our room which was amazing! From the moment we checked in we were treated like VIP and the room made me feel like a million dollars. We stayed in room 302 on the third floor. I know reviews warn to stay on a higher floor but I was so thankful a room was ready early that I didn’t say a word and I’m glad I didn’t. What makes room 302 special is that the window opens and it has a little ledge beneath. I read in other reviews that the windows on the higher floor don’t open so we enjoyed this and we enjoyed all the noises. The club next door is super noisy but it’s amazing (nightly drag queen show) and does quiet down around midnight. Pros and cons of this hotel/room?

Pros = The window opens, iPod charger in room, free beach setup with luxury loungers and beach towels. Noon checkout! Free water by the pool, free welcome drinks, and the friendliest staff. The room is beautiful, the bed is comfortable, walk in closet, right on the strip, gorgeous views, and the security! Not only do they have attentive staff in the front lobby but you can’t actually access the elevator without a hotel card. There are so many pros, I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Cons= There are cons of course. They were not deal breakers for me but here they are so you can decide. No privacy in the bathroom as there is a glass window from the shower to the bedroom. South Beach is very segregated. We had some super hot gay men nearby but in our section of the beach we had a lot of bums and gangsters. The people watching is part of the fun but since we went with our 6 year old I would have preferred a different section of the beach. We walked down to the end and found a family atmosphere farther South near the beach that connects to the Hilton. The noise wasn’t that bad from outside but the noise from the hotel hall was unbearable at times. The hotel should provide a fan or a noise machine to drown this out.

**Tip** drink the in room coffee which has a modest $2 per packet charge. This is half the price you will pay for coffee in the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Noellea81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
newport coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Kelly Wearstler was the designer for this boutique South Beach hotel about 4 years ago. Feels like it needs a bit of updating and freshening, but because the service here is so earnest you almost forgive its shortcomings. The corner rooms (06 series) have a nice view of the ocean and down Ocean Drive, but closet space is compromised because of the stairwell. The oceanfront rooms have a much better layout and feel bigger...but make sure you have a higher level room, as the music and noise from the entertainment outside at night can keep you up til the wee hours. Fabiola, Giselle, Ficky and Nory win employees of the year in my book!

Room Tip: High floor, ocean front are best. Request to have the AC vent over the bed covered.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

And even noisier if you go Memorial Day weekend (which was a surprise to us that it was HipHop weekend in miami...should read forums more often!)
Agree with a recent reviewer, at these prices , they should offer more complimentary items (like the Ritz does and is cheaper). Reviews from few months ago said that there are complimentary pastries and coffee every morning in the lobby--- no such thing. No free water (except if you are going to the beach and they will give you 1 or 2 bottles at front desk).
We were celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary and they did nothing special for us.
Our room began to have water drip down the wall into a bubble which finally burst on our last day there. (dont stay in 802 for awhile!).
I did find the front desk staff very friendly, and the Tides restaurant had nice staff (although have to agree with others,, the food was not very good and my husband actually got very sick the night before our flight by eating dinner there).

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if available.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went here with a friend last weekend and we had an amazing time. Our room overlooked 12th street beach and it was beautiful. The hotel is very clean and cozy. Everyone who works there is very accomadating and helpful. The "check-in" in cocktail was amazing...highly recommend it. The bathrooms were my favorite in our studio style suite as the shower had just glass on both sides so your significant other can see you taking a shower ;), very interesting with a nice touch (i personally liked this). I would def go back in the future!.
One drawback, next to a club/bar that gets very loud during the day. A lot of drag shows go on there and loud music during the day.

Room Tip: If just you and significant other get studio suite room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Miami Beach undoubtly has many good and expensive hotels. Among them is the King & Grove Tides a real revelation.
It isn't cheap, that's for sure but it has bright, spacious rooms of some 55 m² where other hotels call 40m² a suite.
The hotel is meticulously clean and the beds are super.
The staff is very helpful and makes your stay an unforgettable experience.
Cross Ocean Drive and you're on the beach - can't be closer!
Breakfast is till 09.00 only.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have been to South Beach a number of times. This was the first time staying on Ocean Drive. I admit it is a bit noisy, though generally speaking things do calm down late at night, except for the random police siren at 3 in the morning.

The hotel:

Staff are terrific.
Room is nice.
Complaint: Nothing is complimentary. They want $2.00 for the nespresso pods in the room, which by the way, are impossible to work.
$8.00 for a bottle of water. Come on. We pay plenty for the room. No water?
No coffee in the lobby of any kind. No complimentary breakfast, which is okay, but then please have better breakfasts. No oatmeal?
Since I am a swimmer, I liked the pool, which is not crowded.
Complimentary beach chairs and umbrella, very nice. At least that is a lovely amenity.
Will I come back? Probably not. But I am not disappointed that I stayed here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brauna
Rossendale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Tides in May 2013. On our arrival we were not disappointed, check in service was swift and courteous. Our room was on the 6th floor and was a corner room. I would strongly recommend when booking you request a corner room. The reason being you get two windows, one facing the beach and the other on the corner. This just adds to the bright feeling of the room. I have seen some reviews stating the furnishing of the rooms is not upto standard. What utter rubbish. We have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and believe the Tides is furnished to a very comfortable standard and importantly with furnishings in keeping with its Art Deco era. The bathroom is large and also there is a separate dressing room. Also importantly there were no additional expenses, with a beach set up included in the price. My only problem was the bar next door that every evening has live drag queen shows. These are so popular that they erect barriers into the road to accommodate the customers. The volume of the music and acts are in my view excessive. To the extent that albeit we were on the 6th floor it caused me some irritation in my room. Furthermore we wanted to eat at the hotel restaurant on the outside terrace, but declined to do so as conversation would have been almost impossible. The Tides is great, but I strongly recommend the management do something about the shows next door which detract from the relaxed intimate atmosphere they try to create.

Room Tip: Book a corner room on as high a floor as possible
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple