“Choice of the discerning (but slightly) older traveller.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tides South Beach

The Tides South Beach
Ranked #71 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Choice of the discerning (but slightly) older traveller.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week. It was a $32 cab ride (fixed fee) from MIA and it was especially nice to be greeted with a "hello, mr ...."as I exited the cab. The check-in was easy and I was escorted to the room. The room was great, 5th floor, 502 I think, seperate walk in wardrobe, nice bathroom ( although the toilet wasn't very private ), great size, very comfy bed and fab view over the beach. The pool is small and there is no pool "scene", but this isn't that type of hotel, but I liked the pool area. Ocean Drive is a great location, close to the action, Lincoln Road is about a 15minute walk. The free pastries and coffee are a nice touch, I was up early one day and had them nice and warm, don't think they last very long though. The Palace Bar next door is a lively gay bar but the music stops at about 11pm, so it really doesn't interfere with sleep. I thought the staff were very professional and helpful. We ate at lots of places, Yardbird and Fogo were the best of them, I would say comparable to London prices. All in, a really great stay, would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank browny0508
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for the gracious feedback on your recent stay at Tides.

Very nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the service, its location and its amenities.

Hope to see you back with us soon.

Regards,

Mathew Pargament

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Towson, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My trip,was a combo of business and pleasure.hotel ,staff and location really worked for me.the best! One suggestion.may need earplugs in evening if you are trying to relax.Beach setup was great and enjoyed tranquil pool area.use valet park as it is great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank johndo1
Mathew P, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent trip to King & Grove Tides.

It is very nice to hear about your wonderful experience regarding the attentive staff, location and beach set up. Our apologies for the excessive noises generated by our neighbors. We are working daily with our neighbors to heighten their sensitivity to our guests, sorry for the disturbance.

Hope to see you back with us soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

. I would like to say that I scheduled my visit through Travelocity on March 2013 instead of February 2013 And did not realize it until I got to the airport on February 4, 2013. I bought new flights on the outside chance I would still be able to stay at the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel unannounced Jessica Winer the hotel manager was more than gracious and accommodating me booking the room. The waitstaff is fantastic, could not be more accommodating and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I highly recommend this facility to anyone who is looking to stay in South Beach. A plus.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your gracious comments on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that Jessica was able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed your stay.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Oklahoma City, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had a nice stay at The Tides. I think the small things do make a difference. First, food and bar service is very hard to come by. Bell boys, front desk people and waiters all seem to blend together. We sat for 20 minutes and no one took our order for breakfast so we left. No service at the pool either. Rooms are great. They are huge and I love that the windows open. Bed was comfy and room was very clean. Some people complain that the pool is too small but I thought it was lovely. If you are elderly or have small children, the bath tub is insane to get in and out of. The noise level at night is pretty high but it shuts off like a switch around 11:00. The music actually put me to sleep but might be harder on other people. Kudos to two of the bell boys (Michael and one other) who were so helpful and offered up tons of recommendations. Also a runner's paradise, as this is a central locatiOverall we enjoyed it but might opt for the Ritz down the street for better service and a quieter location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WrldtrvlrThree
Thank you for your authentic and gracious feedback on your recent visit to King & Grove Tides.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of attentiveness with the food & beveage service at the restaurant and pool. We have recently reviewed and modified our staffing schedules to support the service levels one would expect, sorry your experience was not engaging.

I am glad you enjoyed the spacious accommodations and the privacy of the pool, and the attentive service provided by michael and the bell persons.

Hope to see you back with us in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a one night stay coming back into the states from the carribean and was pleasantly surprised. It is about a $35 cab ride from the aiport, but I wanted to be on the beach and on Ocean Drive. Perfect location. Had enough time to get some shopping in the next day before my flight home, staff was nice enough to hold our bags and make sure the cab was on time for our flight. The room was huge & looked a lot better in person than the pics I found on hotels & booking. Didn't try the food as there are plenty of places along the drive to try out. The only thing I can recommend to this hotel is that the wifi be included & breakfast included then I would give it a true 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms have small windows but I love the ocean so its worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nice to hear about your recent visit with us.

Glad you enjoyed the spacious room and that our staff was attentive. Sorry about the miscommunication on the WIFI, our WIFI is complimentary.

Hope to see you back her in the future.

Joplin,mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I came to Miami to run the ING Miami Marathon on Jan 27, 2012 - also to vacation and celebrate my birthday. I did EXTENSIVE research as to where I wanted to stay in South Beach over many months. After reading reviews, looking at maps I settled on The King and Grove Tides - and I made the best choice.
The hotel is exquisite and lovely right on Ocean Drive and 12th. The service from the management and staff is beyond excellent - attentive and personal without being intrusive. I had a corner Ocean view suite on the 4th floor which had a jaw-dropping view of Ocean Drive and and ocean beyond - absolutely perfect!!! It was like a dream to awake to the sun rising over the beach every morning. The rooms are the largest on Ocean Drive and DO look exactly like the photos posted on the hotel's website. The hotel is rather quiet - not a party place but for resting before my marathon is was perfect. For relaxing dining or cocktails while people watching on Ocean Drive it is where you should be.
During the weekend the place next door is fairly loud with its music and shows going late into the evening - however during the week it is not.
It is close to all dining and shopping - you have no need for a car in south beach anyway. As a woman who travels alone often - I felt completely safe and comfortable.
Complimentary pastries and coffee in the morning - is lovely and not available at most hotels on Ocean Drive.
Complimentary chairs, umbrella and towels on the beach make your beach days super sublime.
Free internet access also a plus.
Not a place for a hip fun pool scene - the pool is small but tucked in the back of the hotel - nice quiet place to relax away from the busy beach scene. Cocktails and light faire foods are served there. Nice fitness center - small but for die-hard workout freaks you can still get your workout in before heading out.
My parents stayed at place on Collins which was nice but in no way compared to the comfort, luxury, large rooms and excellent service that I received at the Tides.
Everything was PERFECT. This is where you want to stay - It is absolutely worth it.
I mean truly - if you are going to South Beach - why would you want to stay anywhere else?

Room Tip: Higher floors - better views - Ocean front suites have amazing views!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Diane D
Thank you for your feedback your recent visit with us.

I am glad to read you felt the hotel was the perfect place during the ING marathon, to vacation and to celebrate your Birthday.

Looking forward to your next visit with us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Top Miami hotel, perfect view right on Ocean Drive. Staff were so helpful and friendly offering a first class service. Food was also of excellent quality and overall a fabulous stay! Would definitely come back to The Tides.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So nice to hear about your recent stay with us.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed the location, the staff was attentive and friendly, and you enjoyed the quality of the food offerings.

Thanks for your comments.

Hope to see you soon back at Tides.