“Nice boutique hotel, but not the best”

Ranked #71 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice boutique hotel, but not the best”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My fiancee and I spend 4 night at The Tides in July, 2011. I am late in getting this review out. The is a nice Boutique hotel but not the best boutique hotel I have stayed at in Florida by a long shot. I will explain below.

Good Points:
1. Outstanding service top to bottom
2, The concierge group is excellent
3. The rooms are clean
4. Right across from the beach
5. Free beach chairs and umbrella set up for you by beach attendants
6. The adjunct staff is excellent
7. You feel safe here and you are safe here. Somone is on guard outside and
no suspicious characters can get buy the main desk inside without notice.
8. Complimentary pasteries and coffee each morning at 7am

Bad or Poor Points:

1. The corner Premier Ocean Suites with window on the front and side are nice but:
a. I did not like the fact that there is no real seperation between the bedroom
and living room.
b. It's hard for two people to be the the bathroom at the same time.
c. The closet space is small for a walk in area.
d. These may be minor points to some but for $650 a night I have stayed in
much better accommodations.
2.If you are a light sleeper you will have trouble sleeping in an Ocean Front
Suite. Right next door to The Tides is a popular street bar and the crowd likes
to party all night long. If you are a light are even moderately light sleeper you
will need ear plugs. I'm talking about yelling and howling until 4 am.

Well you are in South Beach and many people do come here to party. I understand it is one of the biggest party places in the world. If you are just coming for a beach vacation, to people watch and take in the restaurants and Art Deco buildings and are not a party type and like to go to sleep at a reasonable hour , Im sure the hotel has quieter rooms than the Ocean Front Suites.

There were many families here from England and South America. The hotel does have an international feel to it and the concierge staff is multi-lingual.

I would recommend this hotel as a safe place to take in the beach scene and a good starting place in which to explore the surrounding area. It would be nice for a small family of four from any country to use as their home base.

So I do give this hotel 4 stars and not 5. As a boutique hotel goes it is probably one of the best in South Miami Beach.So I guess you are paying for the location. I can only compare this hotel to The Brazilian Court ( BC) Hotel in Palm beach, another boutique hotel in south Florida. The BC is a 5 star place, but then again it is not in SOUTH BEACH!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper make sure to ask for a quiet room, or else bring ear plugs
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ted1348
GeneralManager_Tides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review, as posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciated all of your comments, both praises and constructive criticisms and, although we are never happy to hear that a guest has been less than satisfied, we feel we can use these experiences to improve. We will keep in mind your comments regarding the layout of the rooms and will continue to monitor the noise level from the bar next door.

We do have several styles of guestrooms and hope to be able to offer you a quieter room with a more appropriate layout during your next visit to Miami. We look forward to being of service to you once again.

With sincerest regards,

jorge.gutierrez@thetidesresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We went to the Tides to celebrate our anniversary and I must say that we too were not so sure it could live up to the TA hype. It did.

After an initial mix-up over our reservation, we experienced actual customer service, which can be hard to find these days. Jorge, the director of operations, was fast, responsive and committed to satisfy our concerns and ameliorated the confusion within minutes. Though we were disappointed to not have received the original suite we expected, we were more than satisfied that our happiness, satisfaction and enjoyment seemed to be at the top of list by all hotel staff.

The food at La Marea was excellent, while seated outside, by the pool or enjoyed during in room dining. Perhaps we are De-sensitized from NYC living, but we kept "looking out" for the Ocean Drive hub-bub. It was actually quite calm, and lively only during acceptable hours.

Another excellent trend supported by the Tides is the subsidized beach rentals from the city concession. We have vacationed many times at luxury resorts in South Florida, only to have to charge over 50 dollars a day for chair and umbrella rentals. We have always found this inexcusable for a beach resort and we are happy to report that this was no issue. The rentals were included in our accommodation- excellent and appropriate!

Lastly, a special thanks to Francisco for making our last day a true day of leisure by organizing a deliciously late check out and printing boarding passes/checking us in to our flight.

We only spent 3 days, but we would definitely return. Know that if you are interested in being treated as a valued guest, it is possible. Thanks for a great relaxing weekend-

p.s. internet access would be appreciated as part of the room rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure meeting you during your stay at The Tides South Beach. I was certainly glad to be able to take care of the mix up over your reservation and pleased to learn that the outcome met your expectations. We do strive to exceed those expectations and believe that by offering a personal experience, we can more readily do so. I have passed on your comments to Francisco and he was happy to have been part of your experience.

Thank you for your warm comments. We look forward to seeing you once again at The Tides South Beach when next you find yourself traveling to Miami.

With kind regards,

oslo, norway
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Why is this hotel ranked #1 by Trip Advisor??? A nice hotel but.... When I was having breakfast sunday morning at 10 there where 2 other people sitting and waiting for their meal to be served when I entered the restaurant. I think it took about 10 min before a the waitress came out from the kitchen, recognised me and gave me the menue. I ordered The Tides breakfast, Tea and a orange juice. I could here that the waitress had to call someone and ask what the Tide Breakfast included. While I where sitting there the neighbouring guest had to ask for the food because they where in a hurry. The waitress answeared " You didnt tell me that where in a hurry?" They also had to sen out the omelet because it was wrong. When my breakfast arrived I had to ask for the toast and it was delivered after I had finished my dish and I also had to ask them to fill up the peppermill. When the next guest artived 2 waitress told her that another waitress would soon come and take her order. I sat there for about 1 hour, it was total 4 guest there and 4 waitress and it was no coordination between the waitresses. It was a very dissapointing breakfast. I stayed in an expensive room and it was not wort the money- sorry. Next time I stay in for instance Dellano.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

It was with great disappointment that we read your candid comments on Trip Advisor, as they relate to your experience at breakfast. Please rest assured that we will be passing on your comments to our Food and Beverage staff and will use them to improve our service. We understand your hesitancy to return to The Tides South Beach but do hope that you would re-consider stopping by if ever your travels find you again in Miami. We would be pleased to offer a more accommodating service.

Thank you for your helpful input.

Sincerely yours,

Melksham
Reviewed September 17, 2011

It is with great pain that i write this review, as my wife and I had a wonderful time at the Tides, the staff were excellent in every way complimentary drinks on entry, knowing your names within a day, all added to a wonderful family feeling, so why BE AWARE you ask?. Well one very big problem on our return home my wife found 6 items of clothing missing from her suit case, as this is the only place it could have happened we E-mailed both the manager, and group head offices, including Hotel, neither has even bothered to reply. so again i say! stay by all means, but don't take anything nice to wear, and if you do lock it all in your suit case while your away from your room. Ps what really grips is the fact that we letf a nice tip on exiting our room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robert M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your candid posting on Trip Advisor. Although we were pleased that you had a wonderful stay and that you were treated warmly by our staff, we were quite distressed to learn that you were missing 6 items and that your inquiries have gone unanswered. We would like to be able to speak to you personally and so ask that you kindly contact me directly at the email/phone numbers listed below.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences and would like to investigate the matter of your missing pieces. We look forward to hearing from you and remain,

Sincerely yours,

London, England
Reviewed September 16, 2011

After several trips here over the years, South Beach always entertains but very little here lives up to the hype. The Tides is an exception.

The previous gushing reviews I'm pleased to say are accurate. The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating, including the house keeping folks. The rooms are amazing: Very large (for SoBe), sound proofed (although see my comments about the noise from outside, below), high ceilings, great views along Ocean Drive and out to the ocean, great shower, great bed, massive walk in closet. 10 out of 10 for the rooms. Importantly for me, the room's window opens and so you can get real air as well as the fantastic (and quiet) AC.

The view along Ocean Drive and the hive of activity there is a strong point for me - it's noisy and busy, and I like that. If you are looking for a peaceful holiday don't come to South Beach! Seriously, there are many hotels in South Beach that are much quieter. For example I have stated at the Marriott which was quiet compared to the Tides, but it's a mile down South Beach and so quite a long way away from the action/center/shops and bars.

Some small nice touches: the towels and sun beds on the beach, just over the road from the hotel, are free. There is a reasonable looking gym on the mezzanine. The very heavy petrified tree trunks which serve as tables in the room (I am writing this review on one now) are as funky and interesting as previous reviews have mentioned. They'll mix whatever martini you want.

So The Tides is rated #1 on TA and I wholeheartedly agree - i have not tried all the hotels in SoBe, but I can't see how this hotel could be beaten on it's current top form.

As usual, there are a few niggles. On Friday from 5pm ish there is a DJ playing on the front bar area on Ocean Drive. I had the misfortune on a previous visit to be here during Spring Break (it was a dreadful experience) and the crowd that has come in and are currently dancing on the steps of the hotel to the DJ's house/trance music remind me of that Spring Break crowd. It's out of character (ie needing a house DJ here - the typical guest here is a 40-50 yr old couple with no kids in tow) for the hotel and it should stop.

Other small niggles. I like the fact that there are no promotional or sales leaflets cluttering the room but a hotel services directory would have been useful.

When I asked a guy on front desk if there was an ice machine he looked at me as if i was a crazy alien. I didn't like his attitude and also i don't think it's an unreasonable request for somewhere like this in the Miami heat to have an ice machine? Finally, the wifi is $10 per day - for non chain hotels like The Tides, isn't it about time to include the fee in the room charge and not levy it as a surcharge? - it's just annoying.

so small niggles...in summary, if you don't mind the high energy location - this place is the best. I'll definitely be back.

If you've found my review helpful please can you click the helpful button! Thanks

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
11 Thank ChiswickTurnhamGreen
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your very recent posting on Trip Advisor. We were honored to receive such high praises and equally grateful for your candid remarks highlighting the “niggles” which need a bit of improving. We will certainly keep your comments in mind moving forward.

It was a pleasure serving you and hope to see you again here at The Tides South Beach.

With best regards,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Great location. you will be near Port of Miami, Lummus Park Beach and Lincoln Road Mall. Moreover, The Wolfsonian Museum and Jewish Museum of Florida are close to the hotel.
This South Beach hotel has its own restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner where you will find a selection of items to try. There is also a poolside bar and a bar/lounge so guests can sip a refreshing drink poolside or indoors. Make the most of your trip, whether for business or pleasure, by taking some time to relax as you will find a fitness facility on offer. Don't forget your swimming goggles and swimsuit as this hotel features an outdoor pool

Room Tip: We stayed on first floor due to kids and they loved it.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kitu02
GeneralManager_Tides, General Manager at The Tides South Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your recent comments on Trip Advisor. Your description of the surrounding area, its attractions, and the in house offerings will be a great help to those booking with us in the future.

It was our pleasure to have been of service to you and would be thrilled to welcome you and your family back to The Tides South Beach during your next visit to Miami.

Very sincerely,

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Tides calls himself Diva of the Ocean Drive. And like a true diva the service is sometimes very friendly other times less friendly. Location and rooms are excellent.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your Trip Advisor comments regarding your stay. The Tides South Beach is known for being the “Diva of Ocean Drive” and, as such, is always striving to perfect her service and hospitality to our visitors. We will use your comments regarding the inconsistencies in service throughout our training sessions so that we can continue to improve.

We thank you for your candidness and ask that, if ever your travels find you in Miami again, you allow us a second chance to make your stay a memorable one.

With kindest regards,