Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
1,160 results
All reviews broken shaker bunk beds shared room south beach dorm room cool vibe pool area two blocks enjoyed my stay the location is perfect ocean drive lincoln road hostel miami cereal hip privacy
Selected filters
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Short version: great restaurant, great bar(s), great location. Skip staying here overnight and just get drinks and food. ESPECIALLY if you're a light sleeper.

I think this place markets itself inaccurately, but if it changed its marketing, could be great. Their site makes it seem like a glam trendy hotel (with $$$ private room prices to match.) It's really a nice hostel with a few private rooms. I can't speak to the shared/dorm room experience, but the private king room was underwhelming (especially for the price I paid).

I had originally requested a quiet room since I'm a light sleeper and they said they were happy to accommodate. When I arrived, I reminded the man checking me in about the quiet room request. He then checked me into LITERALLY the loudest room on the entire property (maybe out of spite?) The window looked out directly on to the patio bar and was directly above a speaker that plays loud music 24/7. It also shared a wall with the bar's women's restroom.

Once I realized how loud it was, I asked the front desk if there were any quieter rooms, and got a really rude response. They laughed at me and said none of the rooms were quiet, but offered to show me a room in a different part of the property to see if it would be quieter. Lo and behold, it was! I couldn't hear any of the outside noise and that night I slept like a baby. I'm not sure why they didn't book me in this room in the first place, but was happy that they were able to accommodate me once I said something. I did not appreciate the rudeness though.

Both king private rooms were dirty (the floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned and when I walked in I stepped on a pair of broken sunglasses on the floor.) Air conditioners are LOUD but I appreciate that they have them. No coffee machines in the rooms, but there's a shared kitchen where you can get hot water, etc. Bed and linens were comfortable.

Location of the property is perfect, and I had great experiences at the restaurant and bar with excellent service and hospitality. Would not recommend staying here unless you don't mind a lot of noise and dirty rooms, but would definitely recommend for drinks and a bite to eat.

Room tip: King private room 6 in the guest house was quiet and large. The room next to the women's restroom in the main building is LOUD.
1  Thank aurorak327
Mary Beth B, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am so sorry that you didn't have a better experience with your guest room, and that your initial request for a quiet room had not been honored. We will be working with the front desk to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2019

The property is located near beach and creek, and the free trolly to SoBe. There are bar and restaurant and the swimming pool surrounded by palm trees where you can just hang. On the weekends, the lounge was quite noisy beyond midnight. It seemed like that the lounge was a spot to hang for locals as well. To avoid check in problem for multiple beds reservation, going to the person instead of self check in system is recommended.

Date of stay: December 2019
Mary Beth B, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2019

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for leaving your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback regarding the self check in function.

Reviewed December 20, 2019

I stayed 3 nights in a female dorm. The hostel is lovely, room was spacious, the bathroom clean, and enough space to put bags etc.

Information: it would be appreciated if some info about the area, etc. would be given at checkin

breakfast: only from 8 pm, way too small breakfast area

While no info were given at checkin, for my taste I received too many emails previous to my stay, with suggested upgrades resp. choosing the bed (for a charge)??

But for the price, absolutely worth staying here!

Date of stay: November 2019
Mary Beth B, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2019

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding the information received at checkin and the amount of email communication. We will be sure to look into these items!

Reviewed December 16, 2019 via mobile

Great drinks and food in a relaxed garden atmosphere with cool music and vibe. Food was delicious with small portions. Great for a relaxed fun group of friends to hang or a date. Very chill place in Miami that is worth checking out

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Mary Beth B, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience while you were here! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

While I have been following Freehand since they opened I was very excited to visit. They have created a really great space around the pool and Broken Shaker bar area. The private room i was staying in was less than ideal, my curtains did not close properly which let light in all night.

The check in procedure took about 20mins on the Saturday when I arrived - which was solely due to the fact that there was 1 staff member at reception. I had been traveling for 30hrs to be checked in like that was not cool.

The breakfast is also very basic so I ate at nearby restaurant each morning, and the kitchen gets extremely crowded when they serve at 08:00.

I did find it difficult to meet anyone as there are mostly locals using the dinning and bar areas. I wasn't sure who was from the hostel or not.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank tlouw
Mary Beth B, General Manager at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2019

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave your feedback. I am sorry to hear about some of the issues that you experienced while staying with us. We will be following up on Saturday staffing levels to ensure that future guests do not have a similar delay during their check in. We will soon be undergoing a rooms refresh, which will address the issue that you mentioned about your curtains!