“Miami baby”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Ok, so my friend and I arrived to the hostel kind of late, and check in was average. We had to wait for a while and the girl was not very friendly. We went to the front desk periodically throughout the week and staff was much better and very helpful. (I will assume my check in was not the best because it was late and they were busy).

The rooms were nice. We stayed in the four person girls room. Housekeeping would come in during the day to change towels, take out the trash, and/or change the sheets if someone had checked out.

The Broken Shaker - Many of the tables have reserved signs on them, and I'm not sure how to make reservations. We attempted to hang out there twice, but after being walked over several times by staff we just gave up and went back to Lincoln Rd. (Note: Sometimes random people will come to the hostel in the evening just to go to the bar).

Amenities- There is a pool that closes at 6, but guests are allowed to continue hanging out in that area all day. They have bikes that you can rent for the day for $15 (they supply the locks). They also have the regular things that you may need like deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash etc. (you can rent...yes rent...sunblock for the day). Breakfast is fruit (apples/bananas), mini muffins, cereal, orange juice/coffee.

Overall, if you enjoy staying in hostels this one is good and feels clean. It's close to the beach, and they will call you a cab at check out time. If I chose to stay here again I would probably spend the extra bucks for a private room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Club kids stay away from Freehand, so you don't ruin it for everyone! Freehand is not your typical Miami experience and that's a good thing. The Broken Shaker was a hip scene, many of the people we met were local young professional types.

We preferred hanging out in South Beach and the location of Freehand was not close. Deco bikes are about two blocks away and an easy way to get around.

I stayed in one of the new King Suites and it was new and nice: bedroom, lounge room, TVs, quite, ice cold AC, and private bathroom.

Negatives:
-Freehand has no parking. Breakfast is a joke. Felt pressure to buy their booze.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hollis C
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on our property! We value your opinions and we hope you stay with us again!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed here on our last night in Miami because we had heard it was cool, it was cheaper than most hotels, and the bar was reputed to be awesome. All three turned out to be true, although there were some downsides as well. First things first, this is a hostel. Even in the king suite, which we stayed in, the A/C didn't quite do the job in one room, the bathroom was tiny (but immaculate), and the room was spartanly decorated. But it's also the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in: the TV was big (and there might have been one in the bedroom too), the couch was better than most hotel suite couches, there was a real live plant in our room, and we were very comfortable. And the bar was all it was billed to be - one of the best drinks I've ever had - I came back after dinner to have another it was so tasty. The pool was small but looked nice to dip into while laying around. Had coffee and donuts in the morning, always a nice hostel touch. The only downside, and I doubt this will be a real downside for long, was the location. It was mostly residential, a little isolated and not much was in the immediate area. But there was tons of construction around, so I imagine there will be much more to do very soon. Overall, for younger travelers, this is a great value, especially if you're a fun-loving type (it's close to many clubs if the bar doesn't do it for you). For older travelers, it might be too hip by half, although there were certainly older people at the bar and I'm sure a few of them were staying there. I'd recommend it to anybody who likes hostels, and even to many who typically wouldn't be interested in hostels otherwise. Just don't expect room service or other 5* amenities.

Room Tip: The king suite is totally worth it - huge, nice couch, and set in back, away from noise of bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charles S
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to hear it met your expectations and that you enjoyed your room! Come back to stay with us again!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2014

For a hostel, this place was decent, modern, semi-clean and safe. There are just a few things that I do not think travelers should have to overlook no matter where they are staying. The plumbing was awful in our dorm. The shower was clogged from the moment we took our first shower and we had to shower in shin deep water. Not to mention water was pooling behind our toilet, which to me looked like it was due to a bad seal or wax ring, this left the entire bathroom floor soaked during our whole visit. This was reported to the front desk twice, where they told us somebody would be up to have a look. We waited, and waited and waited, both times, and just left. The issues remained the same both evenings we came back after "maintenance would be right up." Obviously, maintenance never came. Also, when inspecting our bunks for bedbugs, we did find translucent baby termites on the bottom bunks under the mattresses crawling around the wood. They of course do not really bother you, just kind of creeps you out. Having coffee and cereal out in their backyard, was worth the troubles. It was beautiful out there and was taken care of very nicely by very pleasant grounds men. The front office staff could put a little more love into their space though. The calendar on the wall was out dated, as well as flyers for events they had up. A beautiful space, just needs the right attention to detail to make it shine a bit more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank tradedsmiles
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We appreciate your feedback. Come back to stay with us again soon!
Miami
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed for 6 nights at the beginning of my backpacking adventure alone! It's difficult to meet fellow backpackers in this hostel, however I think that's miami in general. The broken shaker bar is full of local hipsters, the tables have reserved signs on them from 4pm onwards making hostel guests feel a little unwelcome. However this is from a lone female backpackers point of view. If you are looking for a hostel with great facilities and good price then it's great! But if you want to meet fellow travellers and feel at home ... I would avoid the freehand... Actually I would avoid miami...

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Wanderlust1234567
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 4-bunk room which was quite comfortable. The front desk staff were very nice, quite helpful and willing to make adjustments to my booking. Good location and clean environment. However, the bathtub in my room wasn't cleaned in the 6 nights I was there and the drain was slightly blocked so I sometimes had to stand in a pool of water. Made a report at the front desk but nothing was done. Breakfast is mainly cereal with overly diluted milk, bananas/ muffins, tea or coffee. Overall, it was a good place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014