“Being cool doesn't mean you don't have to get the basics right”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Yes, the vibe is definitely cool. And drinking/dining in the atmospheric courtyard around the pool with all the young hipsters at night is a Miami-style experience for sure. But the 'hostel' label and being cool doesn't exempt you from getting the basics right. We reserved a bungalow for our family of 5 several months ahead, and received written confirmation of our reservation, only to be told matter-of-factly upon arrival that the bungalow was not available and they would give us two adjacent rooms instead. Not an apology, nothing. Sorry, but how hard can it really be to actually have a room available that you confirmed as a 'reservation'?! And when you screw up, and you're in a service industry, at least apologise for the inconvenience.

The toilet in the children's room leaked water when flushed, so the bathroom was a swamp in no time. We told the girl at reception and they would look into it. When we came back to the children's room some time later, the 'solution' that they apparently came up with was to put towels around the toilet bowl. For 338 dollars for 1 night for a family of 5, you need to do better than that, I don't care how cool (you think) you are. If you can't get basics like reservations and proper bathrooms right, you should reconsider if you are in the right business.

Generally speaking, the bathrooms really need an update; everything was really worn in our two rooms. And if you are a light sleeper, pick another place, especially if it's. saturday night; the crowd in the dining area outside makes a lot of noise and the windows don't offer much isolation.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid a room that looks onto the patio. The sound of people drinking and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jakooandco
There are newer reviews for Freehand Miami

Reviewed June 8, 2014

It is a kind of hostel we stayed at the hotel in two rooms. I and my 3 boys liked the beds very much. The bath rooms were very old but the breakfast was our favorite... The location of the Hotel is really good it was very close to the beach and by car we travelled all over Miami . I want to mention the hotel staf was really nice and helped us when we had problem with our car. If I go Miami again I can stay ther.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dilek y
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Dear Travellers,

Please be aware while choosing this hostel, I just had the misfortune of having my Apple MacBook Pro and iPad stolen from the locker. Earlier in the day one more room mate from the room had his Laptop stolen. The hostel staff did nothing and are unwilling to review the camera recording stating they are unauthorised to review the recordings and need to wait until the manager arrives. I have reported the incident with Miami Beach Police. Not expecting much from the investigations though.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Saideep
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Hi there,

We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience. Please contact us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com so we can investigate further into the incident.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Loved this hostel, even better than expected! The decor is fantastic, the staff are helpful. It's clean and comfortable - more like a hotel than a hostel. I would definitely go back again.

Our room was comfortable and clean - and private! Pool is great and the outside area is really nice. The drinks at the bar are amazing and the atmosphere at night is really good.

So close to the beach and there are shops only down the road. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Go private, we got a 4 bed dorm and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We're so glad you had an amazing stay at the Freehand - we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

The place is great and definitely more of a hotel. Really close to the beach. The biggest issue is the front desk service being extremely slow. Usually one person on the desk and leaving it unmanned long periods. Service is definitely not worth the money you pay...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we value your input and hope you decide to come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Is much better than most hostels I've stayed. Probably the most comfortable beds. Pool is nice and bar is good and stays open until 2am if your back by then. Had to get taxis to the main part of ocean drive each night but it's only $10 one way including tip so not bad. If I was coming back to Miami I would probably splash out and stay in a more local hotel. But if your on a budget this place is perfect.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ben E
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I was extremely excited about staying at the Freehand Miami. Everything was easy until I arrived. First their card reader wasn't working so I never received a room key. I understand that these things happen with technology. Whenever I needed to get into my room I had to go to the front desk to ask them to open my door. One lady didn't have a key to open any of the doors even though she was working at the front desk.. the other guy made me wait for 5 minutes and just continued helping the people behind me even though I had been waiting before any of these people. My stay is up and I still never received a key. A guy who looked like a manager told me that I should ask the girl at the front desk to make me a key because it was now working and that he had made keys earlier on in the day. I get to the front desk and the girl says it's still not working. Is there some kind of miscommunication going on or something? Having no key was just a hassle.

I stayed in a four person dorm on one of the top bunks. Whose idea was it to put a light so close to the ladder? Every time I climbed up the ladder to my bed I would knock the light - a bit dangerous (room 105). The bathrooms were tiny and whenever I had a warm shower I had to get a towel to turn off the hot water tap because it was extremely hot.

The fruit and orange juice at breakfast was great.

The outdoor area, pool, ping pong tables and bars were awesome. A great way to interact.

Oh and the beds were extremely comfortable and had a lot of privacy!!

Room Tip: Try to not get a room on the bottom level. I was in room 105 and I could always hear people out in t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CarlaLouise1992
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback – we are sorry about the inconvenience with our room keys during your stay! Please reach out to us directly at info.miami@thefreehand.com and allow us to make it up to you!