“Nice Rooms but everything else annoyed me!”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed in three hostels in Miami, Miami Hostel, Bikini Hostel and Freehand. there really wasn't a lot to choose between them.

Freehand had very nice beds/rooms and the decor was much nicer there, but there was no real atmosphere, and it was the most expensive. Probably would be best if traveling in a small group.But there was no where quietish you could sit down and just use the internet ect, This really annoyed me. . everywhere played loud music all the time! Internet didn't extend to the rooms either. also breakfast wasn't great. Its just in the lobby which means very cramped with nowhere to sit. and they started building work early in the morning which actually sounded and felt like a small earthquake going off!

Bikini hostel was ok, But had the worse beds ever! and the most annoying and loud motorised door locks. other than that it was ok, Nice common areas. ok / average atmosphere.

Miami hostel was similar to Bikini in price and the level of facilities, I didn't think the beds were as bad here, but they were very similar squeaky metal bunks. Ok/ average atmosphere again, nice common areas. Best of all though, Free food, it was nice to come in in the evening to Pizza or pasta and not have to worry about finding somewhere to buy food. ok it was for the most part basic, but it was good.

Service was pretty average for all hostels, nobody appeared especially friendly, But Miami Hostel did let me check in 3 or four hours early, so they win here for me! :)

Location was about the same for all 3 hostels, Free hand was closer to the beach, but further away for everything else.

the other two were pretty similar, possibly Bikini has the slightly better location, but there really isnt anything in it.

All of them charged More than was stated on the Hostelworld Website, From memory some would not include Hostelworlds 10% in the price, even though thats the deal with paying through Hostel world. and the prices seemed to vary daily!

I don't think you'll go far wrong staying in any of these, but again, nothing really makes one stand out over the others. If I were to stay in Miami again, I'd probably go for Miami Hostel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank paul216x

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I am happy I decided to branch out from my usual with this hotel. It is so expensive to stay in Miami in the Winter so I gave this "hostel" a try. I am glad I did. I booked a private room. I was there on business. It was stylish, clean and the staff was wonderful. My one caution is that it is a bit loud at night. Bring earplugs if you are not there to party.
The outdoor area is fantastic. It is has a bohemian vibe. It is like a bit of San Francisco in South Beach. I also love that there is no "resort fee" or WiFi fee that effectively raises ypur room rate. You can rent a towel for $5.
The location is great. A fairly short walk to Lincoln Drive. The beach is a block away. The rental bikes make all of South Beach easily accessible. Street parking was easy to find and there is a lot a block away. The crowd skews young (I am 44!) but everyone is friendly.
A few small complaints...
The pool is only open until 6pm
There is no coffee available before 8am
The breakfast is just okay.
Have fun!

Room Tip: Room 209 is in the center of the hall and ALL of the hallway and lounge noise makes it's way int...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank steferx
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had one day before going to Miami and still hadn't found lodging after countless attempts to book via airbnb. Then Trip Advisor asked if I was still in search and sent me some suggestions, including the Freehand. The reviews were great, and I can now say totally on point. All my friends who live in Miami (and didn't have room for me) suggested we go to the Freehand to have drinks, not knowing I was already staying there. It's a trendy spot for those looking for a low key hang by a pool surrounded by charming touches like street art on the fence and fairy lights in the grove of trees. I stayed in an 8 person shared room. No complaints except one of the two bathrooms there was clogged and it took them a day to fix it.

Room Tip: Check out the bungalows!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alejcali
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - we are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is great value for the price, very friendly staff. If you are traveling solo or with a group of friends that is the place to stay at, very close to the beach, have a good breakfast and most importantly a bar and a swimming pool.. Lots of party.. Meeting new people, making friends from all over the world...

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AwesomeSmSm
Reviewed January 13, 2014

A really amazing hostel ! It was very clean. And if you have any question or problem they will come in 10 minutes. For example, we asked for blankets because we were cold (yes I know, cold in Miami ^^) and the handyman was here 10 min later with 2 big blankets ! The staff is really helping if you have any question. Perfect place I will come back there if I come again to Miami.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at the Freehand Miami for 2 nights and had a great time. Check in was efficient. We had a 4 bed room for the three of us, nice furniture like no other hostel has. We really appreciated the nice garden with the swimming. The guest kitchen is fine as well. Only drawback was the fact that we had a third floor room and the elevator was out of order. No problem without luggage but climbing the stairs with the luggage was a bit tough.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Truus58
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It's worth crashing at Freehand for a night, at least. You will experience Freehand's trendy charm and the youthful adventure of a hostel, at half the price of a mediocre airport hotel even if you also book a rental car.

The accommodations are comfortable and clean while the helpful staff will show you around the facility if you ask. The building's charm (with the ambiance of a well-traveled hipster with accompanying music during breakfast) compliment a key perk: it's location. A straight shot from MIA, it's easy to find. There's a public parking area is a block away ($1/hr and free overnight). Staying here means that you're close to the action but far enough from SoBe to actually find a place to park.

Although staying in a hostel isn't for everyone, at breakfast time one can find a wide range of travelers, mostly young but a few in their 30s and 40s. Staying here was a good decision.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo