“Great, Cheap, v Nice”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed October 16, 2013

When I booked it was very cheap and I stayed their for 4 nights throughout August. Well worth the stay, although it is quite a walk from a few of the main attractions and the nightlife.

Was the most comfortable hostel I have stayed in!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Adam B

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The freehand is more like a hotel and does not feel like a traditional hostel. The atmosphere doesn't make you feel like a juvenile, broke, backpacker, but an adult who's enjoying some wonderful amenities and greeted professionally by staff.
An amazing place in every which way for the budget conscious and non budget conscious alike.
The atmosphere and location is ideal. I came alone but didn't have to be alone if I didn't want to. I met some great people and had awesome company. Convenient bus routes and the miami beach bus is only 25 cents for a ride and goes all around miami beach. The downtown bus and bus to the airport is between 2.25 and 2.65. The public transport in miami is extremely efficient and for once i did not have to rent a car. It was about a 30-40 minute bus ride to the airport. The property is lush and green, and you have plenty of seating options depending on your mood. The lounge chairs near the pool are ideal for sunbathing , umbrella use optional. The beach is a 5 minute walk away, ideal and quiet. Food options include the onsite restaurant and a nearby subway and a cuban supermarket with prepared food you can purchase at reasonable prices , not to mention excellent coffee between 1-2 dollars.
( The coffee at freehand is not so great..sorry guys). The meals at the supermarket that I bought were large enough for me to pack half of it away for the next day..
Conveniently located is also a Walgreens nearby for your practical needs.
My room was an 8 bed dorm with 2 ensuite washrooms. Always clean and you get a fresh towel daily. Reading lights and outlets in every bed, plus air conditioning units.
The public kitchen has a great gas oven, water cooler and fridges, that is always kept neat/clean..
The atmopshere in the evenings is really great and it's no problem to socialize, have a few drinks and enjoy the setting.
The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and a big help!
Great cleaning staff as well!
Breakfast is fruit/pastries/coffee/and juice..
The orange juice is really yummy..but i'm not a pastry person, and i always travel with single packs of instant oatmeal, to make a more complete breakfast. the water cooler has a hot water option and it took me 2 seconds to prepare some oatmeal with the rest of the breakfast. Just a tip!
Also the cuban supermarket offers' basic and more elaborate breakfasts, starting at 1.50 for a bowl of cereal..
The hostel suggests some day trips and i heard of many people who enjoyed the " everglades tour" and even picks up at the hostel for 39 bucks..
Can't go wrong!
It's the best place I hear to stay in miami beach , and you won't be sorry you came!
I heard some comments about it being loud in the evenings. Don't forget there is a bar in the back terrace, so if it's a concern bring ear plugs and/or ask staff about options where noise levels may be reduced..

Enjoy!

T

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank TanyaInCanada
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review our property! We're glad you loved your time at the Freehand. Come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Need to stay the night in the Miami area and opted for this hostel after reading reviews. The facilities were clean, friendly staff, centrally located, and within walking distance to most of everything you need in the south beach area. Plus the price was fantastic! Also there are so many people staying from all over the world that you're bound to meet someone cool.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TravlrGrl
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

A hostel with a pool? And a leafy courtyard? And a hipster bar?
This place is fantastic! The rooms are uber trendy, just like the rest of the establishment. We stayed in a four dorm and it had plenty of space to store things, as well as its own bathroom.
It's about a 15 minute walk to the restaurant/shopping strip of South Beach, but the hostel rents bikes so you could always take that option to get around a bit faster.
The Freehand is really close to the beach and a little cafe called Tropical Beach Cafe, where we got our daily smoothie fix.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

When I walked through MIA with my carry on luggage, I found it incredibly easy to find the exit and hailed a taxi within sixty seconds. The 34.00$ can ride was beautiful.
First, from the outside you gasp at the beautiful architecture surrounding the establishment. When I walked in I could have easily spent an hour absorbing the local art, books, maps, activity boards, and the retro furniture took my breath away.
The staff was excellent. Check in was easy and took under ten minutes and I found the staff to be extremely accommodating and friendly. My room was a king bed private room, minimalist and perfect. Retro bathroom , beautiful water bottles, very eco friendly.
I could write a book on the Broken Shaker bar and outside courtyard and pool. Flabbergasted doesn't describe my first reaction. It was breathtaking , beautiful , cool music of a variety of genres. It truly took my breath away.
I found a bartender named Randy to be my favorite, Bc he was so kind and attentive to my and whoever else I was around. Some of the other female outside waitresses were not very friendly and actually a bit rude ( and I am born and raised from New Jersey).
My water was always complimented with mint, cucumber, and/or lemon which was lovely. I felt like I was in paradise sitting by the pool all day, chatting with locals and other international travelers. It was truly a pleasure.
I will visit Freehand Miami in the next few months without a doubt. Freehand Miami is five stars and I fell in love at first site.

Written sincerely with love and positive vibes

EMILY SNYDER
GYMRAT27@gmail.com

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Emily S
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we're glad you had a great experience and are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Clean place, comfortable bed, close to beach.

Booked it on the basis that we could get parking (was told by email we could), but then when we turned up it was a struggle to find a spot; they have a bar as part of the hostel which can be good, but our room faced it and one night we wanted an early sleep, which we had no chance of getting!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Originally I was tossing up between this hostel or the Miami Beach International Hostel because of the location. Ended up going Miami Beach and what a huge mistake that was. Atrocious doesn't even begin to describe it. Ended up getting a refund and moving to the Freehand. Wow. I ended up travelling for a few months in numerous hostels and this one takes the best hostel prize. It is hotel standard with super cheap pricing. The rooms are super spacious and they considered all the extras needed to make a backpacker feel at home with bed privacy walls, personal lamps and power outlets, couches and tables in the rooms and 2 brand new bathrooms for 8 people. I travelled on my own and met some amazing people here. The pool and beer garden was a perfect addition. Don't even worry about it being 'out of town'. I walked into town all the time and was only like a 10min walk straight down the main rd. You will not be disappointed I promise!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo