“Upscale hostel- mini hotel”
Review of Freehand Miami

Freehand Miami
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I passed over this hostel initially when I first looked for accommodation, however another hostel recommended this one and I found it a great stay and met my needs. The atmosphere is very relaxed and inviting, reminds me of a cabin, it's worth the money! They have a great pool, the keys to the rooms are magnetic cards, it's very clean, staff are helpful and seemingly like their job, breakfast is decent (not lavish), it's very close to bus stops, the beds are very comfortable, the 8 rooms are spacious and I would highly recommend this hostel it's a great stay in Miami!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We decided to stay here based on TA reviews and the price. We went down to Miami with 18 girls for my bachelorette party (the other 4 stayed elsewhere). I wished we knew there were 2 bungalows as we would have booked them both. Instead we got one bungalow and 3 shared quads. Check-in was a bit slow due to all the rooms we had but the staff did their best to help us bring our luggage to the one room that was available.

The bungalow room was very spacious, we were able to host 18-21 people there one night for some pregame festivities before heading out. The fridge came in handy for drinks. For a large room, I wish there were more mirrors, there was only one mirror.

Anne Posschelle was great at responding to our emails and inquires before our travels. There were 2 girls that were supposed to have a shared quad with strangers and ended up not having roomates at all. AC and electricity worked perfectly although sometimes it was hard to turn on and off the pull chain light in the closet/locker room.

The pool/bar area was very cool and hip. We hung out there one night and ordered a sangria bowl (about 200.00),

We ate where the locals ate and ate at the nearby Cuban family restaurant, Topical Beach cafe almost everyday and packed coolers at the grocery store and headed to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here for a night, overlayed, and had an awesome time. Free wifi, good enough bedding and privacy even in shared rooms. It also has access to the beach, a stonethrow's distance, and to South Beach, in a bus or bike. Definitely recommended as value-for-your-money option in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lebarrueto
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights mid-week. Very cool place and happening at night. We stayed in a king room and it was amazing, much nicer than I expected. The hotel staff were young and helpful and the bar and outdoor area are amazing. Great for those who want a fun atmosphere but not at the expense of comfort/luxury. Very close to the main south beach areas.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Niz C
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review us! We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. Come back soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had made a reservation for me and my 14 year old son in a mixed dorm room. Upon my arrival around 10pm, I was told that children under 18 are not accepted in dorms and they didn't have any other room available except in a 4 bed dorm for me and my son for US$ 190.-, one night !! which I couldn't aford.
I had to find another place to stay right away, because they wouldn't let me stay for the night.
This detail is not mentionned anywhere on the hostel website neither on booking websites.
Though, it looked like a nice place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kinnaree99
FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for reviewing us. We are currently revamping the website and will be including the minimum check in age in a more public spot. We hope you come back to stay with us soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Love this place! Probably more than i love any European hostel. I only stayed for 1 night (aka 10 hours) but the rooms were spacious and comfy, there was complimentary breakfast, a live perfomance on a Thursday night, and the super-cool hipster bar (The Broken Shaker) was poppin but not super packed. Theres games everywhere: foosball, ping pong, connect 4, board games. The pool and outside seating is beautiful. Just a short walk from the beach and < 10 min cab ride from Lincoln & Collins roads. The music they have playing all the time is pretty cool, gives off a kind of hip, relaxed and indie vibe. The only thing bad I heard was that someone had broken into the lockers of the room i was staying in 3 days prior.

FreehandManagement, Management Team at Freehand Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we're glad you enjoyed your experience at the Freehand! Regarding the incident you mentioned, immediate action was taken and we addressed the isolated event. We have additional layers to avoid a re-occurrence. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

- Very good service
- Nice and clean rooms
- Very good location nearby the beach
- International meeting point for young people
- Especially during the weekend a little crowdy and loud until late night

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh