The Essex House has an exceptionl location, one block from Ocean Drive and the beach, right on shopping-oriented Collins Ave. It is one of the Art Deco hotels, so expect the lobby area to be periodically invaded by groups that listen to a guide depicting some of the objects (they will say out loud how much two of the objects cost). It is also located in a busy neighborhood, so don't be surprised if the veranda is visited by some night creatures looking for a seat.
Of course the hotel is oriented towards holidays and vacations - event the one-page contract you sign is written with a sense of humor. I got a comfortable room overlooking the side street. Staying at the Essex, you have access to the adjoining Clevelander with its bars and pool. Service is friendly but when I needed directions in the nearby area I had to ask my smartphone.
Thing is, I was there on a business trip. The hotel had no meeting rooms, and they arranged a room at the Clevelander - not really a meeting room, but a bar with color light all over the ceiling. The bars at the Cleveland will provide you with more noise than you are going to want if you have to wake up early the next day. And take note, I was there in the winter when it's calm.
A nice thing: in the afternoon, a free glass of wine or a beer are offered in the lobby.
So to summarize: nice rooms, nice lobby, poor breakfast, great location, good entertaining if you are in vacations, completely unfit for business. Just make sure what you are looking for before you go!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essex House is an award-winning South Beach hotel in the Miami Beach Art Deco District. Surrounded by nightclubs, cafes and designer boutiques, Essex House is an Art Deco landmark property in the heart of South Beach. The hotel features 70 rooms including 14 luxurious suites to help you leave all of your stress behind. Your stay includes complimentary continental breakfast, a daily happy hour at Zen Sai Restaurant, and access to the nightlife at our sister property, Clevelander South Beach, located just steps away on Ocean Drive. Essex House Hotel is the perfect choice when you want the best of all worlds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Essex House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essex House Hotel Miami Beach
- Essex Hotel Miami Beach
- Essex House Hotel South Beach
- Essex Miami Beach