“Big suite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Big suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at the Essesx House June 2013. The suite was super huge and clean. The suites are in the back of the main hotel in a different building. You walk through the hallway of the main hotel, through a door which leads you to an outdoor pathway/sidewalk, and the suites are right there. Location is great, 10th and Collins...One block away from Ocean DR.

However, the room phone was not working. I went to the front desk and informed them of this issue. They then told me they were in the process of switching phone companies. I said yall should have told me that before I paid my $350.00 for a suite, I could have went elsewhere. I hate being inconvenienced. Meanwhile, they applied a $50 credit to my room which I used for food and drinks at the Clevelander.

Also, the actual pool at the Essex house is super small and crammed. It looks like a kiddy pool. The Clevelander is the sister hotel next door, on 10th and Ocean, which guests have access to all their amenities as well. However, the Clevelanders outdoor pool was under construction. WOW, REALLY!!! They have happy hour at Clevelander, half of drinks and food. Chicken was good. Clevelander has an outside club on Ocean Drive, and a rooftop bar, in which I enjoyed both. Overall great location, but small pool was a major downfall.

Room Tip: Next time I will stay at a different hotel and just go to the bar at the Clevelander.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
london, on
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Took bus 150 from airport $2.35. Can't beat the price and so easy. Just follow the pink signs at the airport. I have never been here before and was surprised at how easy it was.

This hotel was in a great location in South Beach. Lovely art deco hotel. Close to everything.

Stayed June 29th till July 2nd

This was my first time in SoBe and I had a blast. Our room was just fine. Not big, but not to small. Yes the air-conditioning was loudish but it was the fan noise and it drowned out all noise from hall ways ect.
It would have been nice if the bathroom had sink counter space but there were shelves. We were only there for a few days anyway.

Great continental breakfast to start off our day. Croissants, muffins, toast, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal, orange juice, ice water, coffee, & tea

Staff were friendly and helpful.
I would definitely stay here again.

The elevator was super cute. Maximum 3 people.

The small pool was nice and quite, just the right size to cool off. (But not big enough if you want to actually swim.)

Didn't try the restaurant. So cant tell you about it.
All in all it was a great experience and loved the fun atmosphere of SoBe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I came to Miami for a weekend get away with my 2 friends. The room we booked at the Aqua in Miami beach had no a/c , which we found out after waiting for 2 hours to check in. We decided to call Essex house to see if we could come right over. I spoke to a young man named James Salmon, who was very kind and understanding. He said to come right over and he'd hold us a room. When we arrived there was a nice man named Quincy who informed us James was at lunch but let him know that we were coming. He began to help us and even let James know we had arrived. James came off of his lunch break early to meet us and help us as we'll. The room was clean and beautiful and the hotel was fun overall. The level of efficiency from James and Quincy made up for any problems we had at the hotel earlier. I would stay at this hotel anytime I visit Miami again!!

Room Tip: First flood rooms are more convenient .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

When I came to the hotel I heard a lot of mix reviews about the place so I didn't know what expect but as soon as I showed up they treated me great and I enjoy my whole stay the location is great rooms is great the place is just great

• Stayed July 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a nice modern hotel. Only a block away from the beach. Happy hour which consisted of wine, beer, and sushi was complimentary and served in the lobby every evening for an hour, very nice. The air conditioner was loud, but I did not hear any music from the neighboring hotel as the other reviewers have said. The bed was comfy and nice. The $29/day resort fee is ridiculous, resort fee for WHAT? Is this the real cost of the "complimentary happy hour"? There were no extras that would require a resort fee. Parking is also an issue, about $30/day to valet or you can park in the garage in the back for $24/day. After checking in me and my spouse decided to self-park in the garage. As we were going into the garage a valet person from the hotel turned the corner so fast and wide he almost hit us. Glad we didn't decide to valet. I don't recommend paying $30 to have your car in unsafe hands. There was no microwave or fridge in the room. No fitness center. The TV was huge, but had static galore therefor the picture was horrible. The staff was very friendly. Overall a pretty good stay, but too many extra fees/costs for me

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melanie b
EssexHouseTeam, Manager at Essex House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Melanie B,

Thank you so much for your review. We are extremely concerned that you mentioned you were charged a "$29/day resort fee" as we don't charge any resort fees at all.

We attempted to look up your account based on the information in your profile, and found a reservation we believe to be yours. We did not find any fees in that account that would explain your review. Please contact us at reviews@clevelander at your earliest convenience so that we may resolve this matter for you.

Again, we do not charge any resort fees at all and would greatly appreciate the chance to look into this matter further.

The Essex House Team
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel was perfect location wise. The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. They even called to confirm all requests 2 days before our arrival. Rooms were decorated modernly and clean although hotel is an older hotel. The entrance and hotel lounge are amazing!! Noise from the clevelander and hotel resturant below can be heard as walls are thin but nothing ear plugs or a drink won't solve. Wish this hotel had a bigger pool but a plus is you can order food from clevelander while sitting poolside at the Essex! Location is just amazing walking distance to everything especially the beach which I could see from my room. You also have access to the all the patios and roof tops I'm the clevelander hotel! Doesn't get better than this I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I chose the Essex House hotel largely due to location, and the hotel definitely ticked all those boxes for me, but it was the amazing staff who really won me over. I wanted an Art Deco hotel close to the beach and shopping, in the heart of the Art Deco district, and Essex House matched these criteria perfectly, as the hotel is a two minute walk from the beach and the Welcome Centre (which is where the Art Deco walking tours depart from, well worth the time and money), is within walking distance of the Collins Road and Lincoln Road shopping areas and close to all the nightlife too. The hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are clean and well presented, but it's the amazing service that wins prizes for this hotel. The front desk staff were AWESOME - welcoming, friendly, interested and helpful. Nothing seemed too much effort for them, from finding a pair of scissors for me, to charging my iPhone when my international adaptor failed! Most of all, they are quietly attentive - it was my birthday the day we checked in and, after a wonderful dinner at the on-site restaurant (where Jose's service was exemplary), we returned to the room to find a bottle of wine, a slice of scrumptious red velvet cake and a hand-written birthday greeting waiting. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family