“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 29 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
London
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

I was a bit surprised to see all those negative reviews from everybody! I did not think this place was all that bad for the price. We arrived in Miami early one morning having flown in from Peru. We did not have any reservations and started calling hotels from the airport. (By the way there is no information, or hotel assistance at Miami hotel whatsoever, which I found very disappointing, so we had to rely on a guide which I bought from the UK).

We wanted to stay in South Beach. We called a few hotels and they were either fully booked or ridiculously expensive and then we found the Plaza (By the way, South Beach Plaza Villas and the Beach Plaza are under the same management). The price was around $100 a night for a king size bed, which I thought was really good for the area. We only stayed a couple of nights.

The room was on the small side, but it was clean, recently renovated and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit tired, but clean. The stuff was friendly. The only thing I didn't like was that the TV did not have a remote control but then again who watches much tv on vacation?

Our room was in separate small building at the back of the garden, with an independent entrance separate to the main building. To be honest, the rooms in the main building didn't look that great (they were also cheaper if I remember correctly), so my advice would be that if you are planning to book at this hotel be careful which room you ask for, especially given all those bad reviews below.

The area between the garden and the entrance lobby smelt too much of bathroom freshener. Apart from that, it was a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Location, Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Not a lot of natural light. Smelly lobby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I work as a Travel Agent and trip advisor does show the truth about some hotels. I stayed in the South Beach Plaza in September and i can truthfully say that this is the worst hotel i have stayed in during my time of travelling. I can safetly say whilst travelling around the world i have stayed in better hostels than this.

There was flies in the bed and i must have killed more than twenty in the bathroom, there was wires sticking out the wall and there was a leaking shower.

The staff have the worst people skills i have ever come accross! the hotel manager is the rudest most unhelpful person i have ever met.

I realise allot of people come on these type on websites to complain but i post allot of possitive comments and i can post this advise:

do not stay in this hotel!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelAgentTreker

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

The cons: we got ripped off on the wi-fi and there was no tech-support. The attitude of the front desk and restaurant hostess is that of disinterest, almost elitist. We ate at the restaurant on-site which was in a beautiful setting with fountains and lush palms; the tiki bar was small but was a fun addition to the atmosphere. The room was not anything special: water sprayed all over from the shower, there was not adequate room for toiletries and the mattress was hard! But, we were drinking and clubbing so much that we just used it as a place to crash. We paid about $150 a night, which is well below other hotels for the location.

• Liked — South Beach location close to great shopping and beach
  • Disliked — hard mattresses, apathetic staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Becca_C
Bemidji, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

We had booked just one night through AMEX for this hotel. There is something very wrong about how they advertise this hotel on the web...the true address of the hotel is 1401 Collins, but I see the web page for the hotel says 1411 Collins...the pics for the Bar are accurate, but very narrowly framed to make it attractive. When we arrived, we were taken to a "villa", which the check-in clerk said was "very nice". We were taken up several stairs (no elevator in the "villa" part of the hotel) to a three room "place"...old furniture, dark lighting, single window could not be closed, no screen, some kind of permanent "hole" in the frame, rotting window frames, smelled of smoke, no sitting "chairs", no where to put luggage, etc. We said we couldn't accept the room...they took us to another "newer" area, and showed us another unit which looked as though some workers were staying in...sawdust in the entry,etc...dark, not cleaned..they said they would "clean" the room. At this point, we demanded our money back....the "head desk agent" then made a phone call, and said that they would give us their "presidential suite" at no extra cost...this was also up the same type of 15 steps, opened directly into a bedroom, nicer than the others..there was a sitting are, kitchen (where no light would come on), another bedroom, and one bath. This was better than the others and we were exhausted by now, so agreed to stay. All windows (3-4) were with rotting window frames, but we could close them. The bath had one free-standingsink, new, the shower tub/conbo was old and the "shower" was a large single stream trickle, and there was a little colony of ants that wanted to come through the rotting window frame above the "tub", so we just tried to drown them...we made it though the night fine...was quiet enough, linens clean, etc....breakfast (free with room) was a stale dry bagel with small cream cheese packet, apple or orange, one beverage, but the $303 total bill was outrageous for this....and, since it was pre-paid, we had little recourse. Avoid this thing...they are somehow jumping on the back of the neighboring South Beach Hotel, I think...which looked quite nice...who knows, but do not stay here!!

• Liked — Not really anything..it was simply in South Beach
  • Disliked — The entire experience related to the cost...
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MNBJItraveller
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

The photos on the website must be from another hotel.

The hotel was the worst I have stayed in. The reception area was very dark with a disgusting smell. The rooms were supposedly refurbished. They had no curtains, plug connections that did not work, the sink was so far in the wall that you bumped your head on the mirror every time you washed, the shower (loose term) either spouted cold or burning water. Worst of all was in the sunshine state of Florida, you walked into the room and had to switch on a light to see, they had blinds closed with dirty net curtains, in a dark dingy room with dark floors, furniture and wait for it !! leopard skin and brown covers on the bed. It was like walking into a black hole. Not what you would expect in Florida.

There was a complimentary breakfast - only if you were first down, they only had a choice of one muffin or a cookie the day we were there.

The reception staff were useless and very unhelpful.

There is a happy hour with free wine, but even that was horrendous with music so loud you could not speak to ech other.

I promise you that I am not exagerating. I have travelled to many parts of the world and stayed in many hotels but this has to be one of the worst I have ever stayed in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Having to stay here
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elainegargan
edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

I have just returned from this hell hole and I would never go back. We arrived on one of the sunniest day of the year and walked into a black hole. The reception area put me off and the smell was overpowering. Rooms were half finished and we had a light which was on all the time as the switch was just a hole in the wall.If you wanted breakfast you had to go early as they run out of things fast. We asked for milk for our coffee and the girl had to run over to the garage and buy some. Staff had never been trained on how to speak to the customers. As for the $9 resort tax that was a joke and daylight robbery. We have been to most places in the world and I can safely say this was the worst. If you want a nice relaxing place to stay steer clean of this dive.

• Liked — the way out
  • Disliked — the way in
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank lorraine123
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2007

As noted elsewhere, the photos of the lobby are somewhat accurate, but the rooms are a real problem. I'm 24 hours into what was to be an 11-day stay here. The rate is good: $114/night during the week (then $219/night for the same rathole starting tomorrow night). Location is good. But problems abound. The toilet was disgustingly dirty. The bed is sagging and dirty with polyester pillows. Outside windows are filthy. Air conditioner just barely cools the room. Shower pressure is nil. The only table or desk is a little round kitchen table which wobbles as I type this. I've asked repeatedly for something else, without success. I left money for the maid on the pillow this morning; another staff member took it before she got to my room. There's no coffee maker or anything else in the room to make you feel at all like a guest. The staff shrug their shoulders. With rooms at these prices, I'm sure they're just hoping they can get out of here too, towards better-paying jobs at better hotels. I'm searching for another hotel as soon as I finish writing this.

• Liked — My pending departure
  • Disliked — Just about everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business