“Hotel was ok...could use some improvements”

South Beach Plaza Villas
Ranked #15 of 27 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here on a mini vacation for our anniversary. The rooms and bathroom was VERY small. I will say that it was extremely CLEAN!! We stayed during the Olympics and wanted to catch some of the events on tv. Needless to say, the tv reception was terrible! In this day and age there is no excuse for not having a crystal clear picture. There were a couple of other items that bothered us...namely the A/C. It only had one fan setting which was high. No matter what setting you put it on...it still blew very high and was noisy. The shower curtain was too short and caused the floor to get wet when taking a shower. The other thing that needs to be updated are the pillows. My neck is still hurting. The front desk clerk, Jeribeth, was very nice and accommodating. We would probably stay there again due to the cleanliness of the room and the location. Right in the heart of South Beach. Don't waste money on Valet parking..there is a parking garage just a block from the hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for South Beach Plaza Villas

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Based on the internet description (breakfast, bathrobes!) I expected a place with a bed and breakfast feel. Did not happen. Our room was in a courtyard and up a steep outdoor staircase. The room had a bed, a night table, a tv with a few channels and that was it. There were no drawers so we had to live out of the suitcase. I have never before been in a hotel room without furniture. There were also no bathrobes. The breakfast had signs warning to take only one of each item. The wifi was out the entire time we were there (5 nights). On Friday night, they attracted a large crowd of rowdy drinkers which we had to pass in order to get in and out of our room. We did not feel safe. It is only 1 block from a beautiful beach and close to Lincoln Road shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great location. Clean room, light continental breakfast and available valet parking for a fee. One block from the beach and ocean avenue. Great shopping on Collins avenue. Older building so I was alitte concerned on the 3 person elevator limit but would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 3, 2012

One of the good things of this hotel is the location as is in the heart of South Beach at the 14th st, you get breakfast included and a glass of wine on a daily basis. It has WiFi that you can use free of charge. The personnel is very friendly and helpful, as many other hotels this is also art deco, don't expect to get a brand new hotel, however the rooms are renewed. You can have also by night a a hookah at the Bar or the terrace. We enjoyed our stay and passed a very good time.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed there for three nights during a business trip in Miami, hoping to enjoy a little sun after my days of work.

On the bright side, the location is obviously pretty good (1 block from the beach & ocean drive, plenty of restaurants and bars in the area), and the prices are competitive (i.e $90 per night) with internet and breakfast included.

The rooms are OK, nothing more.
The whole room looked tired, but it was still OK in terms of comfort. Based on the number of people I saw complaining about their room at front desk, I guess I was lucky.
Internet worked fine (whenever we had electricity at least).
There was air conditioning and cable TV in mine. There were indeed plenty of cables going from the floor to the TV :)
The A/C unit is on the window, so it makes the room noisier as the window is actually open; luckily, the A/C itself covers street noise, so only other guests can be bothersome if you're trying to sleep.

The yard around which most rooms are located is actually the terrace of a bar / restaurant, so it might become extremely noisy during summer months.
Most of your neighbors will be people staying in South Beach for some hard partying. If you don't plan on sleeping too much either, you'll be fine.

Breakfast is not good; a choice of a bagel, muffins, yogurts, apples, coffee and juice. Nothing seemed or tasted very fresh. There's very little room to sit in the breakfast area, and you usually have to queue quite a bit.

Valet parking is $25 + tax per night - make sure you call ahead when you need you car, as it takes them over 10 minutes to have it ready. I don't know where the parking lot is, but it is not covered for sure: I got my car back covered in bird feces.

The people at front desk weren't very nice as I checked in, checked out, or whenever I needed anything; they even turned out to be pretty dishonest - I won't get into too much details here.

If you don't expect more from a hotel than a bed and all you're going to do is go to the beach & hit the bars, then the place can be fine for you -just like 90% of the hotels around there!
Otherwise, and especially for a business stay, I would recommend to spend a little more and find a more decent place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mrmnem
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Depressive place.. I travel quite frequently to Miami, and have stayed at many different hotels.. This one was not pleasant. Front desk staff, was unfriendly and unprofessional (Jose).
The place is "dead". Seem to be mostly old people staying here ..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank SalsaSenorita_10
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The hotel is in a great location on South Beach. 14st and Collins, one block from the beach. We paid $200 a night and for that we got a room with no light and it was very dusty. It wasn't a terrible room, just disappointing. Basic, very dark, staff were average. Then they charged an additional $25 "resort tax" for the 3 nights we stayed. Also could hear every foot step of everyone else coming back at 3am partying. The breakfast was inedible. For +$200 a night we expected more, but in South Beach I guess that costs more. For our last night we moved to the Hilton at Biscayne Bay, near downtown and for $207 we got a huge room, king sized bed, bay views, basically everything you expect from a Hilton hotel, but we were the other side of the bridge, so I guess you pay for the location of South Beach.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple