“Room to Sleepwalk!”

Ranked #139 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Seattle, Washington
“Room to Sleepwalk!”
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at the Dorchester for a long weekend in November. I flew in from the West Coast and my Best Friend drove down from the Daytona area, and we shared a one bedroom suite. That suite was roomy, spacious, and comfortable. I have lived in apartments smaller than the suite! The bedroom was large and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was tight, but the fixtures were lovely. The living room had a sofa comfortable enough to sleep on There was a separate dining room, and the kitchen was furnished with all the utensils we needed. There was a small porch which overlooked the courtyard fountains and flowers. The furnishings and carpet were a bit worn, but comfortably so - exactly what one would find in a typical European hotel.
The desk staff were extremely helpful with suggesting places to eat and other navigations. Desmond, the night clerk, was exceptionally polite and helpful.
The hotel lounge has a 'Free Cocktail' Happy Hour - they choose one cocktail to serve each evening and although they advertise it as 'free', there is a $1 fee for each drink. The pool is LARGE and was always deserted - the water was warm and relaxing. Did not partake of the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank TraveLoveRN
jvalera, Manager at Suites of Dorchester, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Dear TRAVELOVERN,

Thank you so much for your comments. We know that we have a unique product that is a jewel of a find in South Beach. Real-size apartments with all the real amenities of a hotel, kitchen, living rooms, let's just say, it is hard to go wrong there. We are so happy you like our service and amenities. I will personally let Desmond know about your comments, and we know that he always goes the extra mile for our guests. We are glad to be what you needed during your stay in South Beach.
Juan-Manuel Valera III
Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We have stayed here several times. The Dorchester is an old property that's split into two separate areas - the suites and the regular hotels rooms. We've always stayed in the suites. Took a look at the regular hotel rooms once, which were pretty ordinary. The suites are great value for South Beach, modernized with a full kitchen, big couches and comfortable king bed in the bedroom. Great value for a family, although I don't think the couches convert to a bed and I seem to recall our friends had problems getting a rollaway when they stayed there. The great thing about having a suite is that you can go to the supermarket and stock up, then eat in your room, which saves $$$. The rooms are quiet too, which is a major plus in Miami as the walls tend to be paper thin here and people like to party so you're bound to be up all night unless you choose your hotel carefully. If quiet is important to you, try to get an upstairs room not backing out onto the street. There's a fantastic souvlaki/felafel shop opposite if you are hungry and it's cheap. Pool area is okay, nothing to write home about. You are right in the midst of the expensive hotel row (Shore Club, Delano etc) and a ten minute walk to Lincoln road where there are loads of restaurants and shops. Right across the road from the beach too. It's long walk to Ocean Drive though. One word of warning, the hotel staff are hopeless and not interested in helping you. We had a package Fedexed to us and they lost it for five days, we were at the desk twice a day trying to sort out the problem. It was only when we said we were calling the police that it was finally located!! If you go in realizing the management is terrible and don't have any special requests, then you'll be fine. If you're after a more upmarket suite experience, try Z Ocean Hotel (Crown Plaza) up the road.

2 Thank canyonmom
Dear CANYONMUM,

We would like to thank you for your sincere comments. Our suites are a one of a kind product, only bettered by their awesome location. I also noticed in your comment that there was an opportunity for better tracking of a package of yours at the desk, and for this I apologize. Nevertheless, I appreciate your sincerity and would like to let you know that we are trying our best to make the Suites of Dorchester the number one destination spot for those looking for larger accommodations, with all the amenities of a hotel, and superb service.
Juan-Manuel Valera III
Asst. General Manager
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Dorchester is not a luxurious hotel but it is very cosy. The suite I stayed in was very big, with lots of storage and it was nice. Cons: the air conditioning was too noisy, there weren´t enough kitchen utensils. Pros: the location - it's very close to my favourite street for a drink or shopping which is Lincoln and not far from the famous Ocean Drive (I would have gone there more often if it weren´t for the stupid men with huge snakes around their bodies for a picture); the quick response of the staff to satisfy your needs and the service is very good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank IsabelTorres
Merseyside, England
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Very nice hotel and lovely rooms...everything you would want for an overnight stay - we were going to a concert at the Jackie Gleason Theatre and it was only a 5 minute walk away...perfect!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank helen68
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2010

This is a nice Hotel to stay if you want to be close to the beach and the action. I went with my daughter and we felt safe. The room was big and clean, really quiet. We got a great friendly service from Carlos, he will give you all the information you need about the city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia031
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I booked with the Marsielle Hotel through expedia but my reservation got switched the Dorchester without my knowledge. I arrived at the Marsielle and was told to go to the Dorchester. It was a one night stay so I would not have mind but I was not called or contacted to let me know. Very frustrating

The staff at the Dorchester was terrible as I was pointed in the wrong direction to my room twice. The room itself is very nice for the price. As you would expect, the walls are pretty thin considering year of construction.

Michigan
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I just returned from a 4 day trip to South Beach Miami, where I stayed at the Dorchester Hotel. It was a wonderful stay. I have been to Miamii before, but didn't recall this hotel. It was a very nice surprise. It is in a great location and within walking distance to pretty much everything. It is across the street from the beach, but it wasn't a bother. The hotel was very nice and clean. The room was nice sized and the staff were very friendly. The pool was very warm and was a nice place to relax. There is a small lounge located on the property which has happy hour from 7-8 PM every evening. Drinks during that time were $1 each (small but worth the price). They offer a very nice breakfast but it is $14 per person. Overall, I was very pleased with our "find" and would definately stay there again.

1 Thank michigansavannahgirl