“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #138 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hotel is located very close to the beach, a 5min walk and you are on the beach. The rooms were clean and nice. The lighting in the rooms weren't too great, but that was fine since we were out most of the time. Staying here, we were given free vouchers to beach chairs and umbrellas while we visited the beach. This was great, especially when it's so hot. Free beach towels were provided when went to the beach. Our room had a kitchen with all the necessary kitchen wear.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mishy108

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Me and four friends decided to visit Miami after graduating. A friend had recommended The Dorchester and we followed suit. There is a main hotel area, then the suites. We had two suites booked. Two of my friends shared one, and myself and two other friends shared another. The suites were really lovely. Clean (cleaned every morning by the cleaners), really spacious living room area with a good interior, nice kitchen, and a smaller bathroom/bedroom. Out of the rooms, i didn't like the bathroom so much. The decor was a bit old, and the room was horribly ventilated - with only 1 little window.

The hotel had a decent bar and pool area. However, we didn't use this much as we would normally go to South Beach/Oceans Drive area. On arrival, the queue to check in was pretty long, they're reception could do with more staff/being bigger, but the staff were polite and helpful - no complaints there. There was a little concierge, and wi-fi was only avaliable in the reception area - not in the rooms.

We would normally eat at the hotel 'cafe' every morning (I wouldn't call it a restaurant, however, I think it was only open for breakfast/lunch anyway, not dinner) as we had a breakfast deal included when booking. It included a buffet style breakfast and it was ok. Nothing spectacular - but it did the job.

On arrival, you also get free bed vouchers for the beach, however, we never actually used these. This was silly as a bed and umbrella on the beach can come in really costly when bought from the beach people (or whatever they're called). The Dorchester section of the beach was quite far up and quiet. Which is fine if you prefer this, however, we wanted a more lively scenery - so we decided to walk further down the beach.

The Dorchester is situated on Collins Avenue, and is a pretty good location. You are not too far out, but far enough to be away from the South Beach lively life. First couple of days, we used to walk down to Oceans - it is probably a 20/30 minute walk, which in the humid, hot July weather is probably not the best move. We started getting taxis down to Oceans, which was only about $6, and split between us - it was like $1 dollar each. It could come in costly if you was solo though.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples, friends and family. We got a decent deal. Flights to/from London, 10day stay in The Dorchester, breakfast, all at around £1,300+.

All the cafes and restaurants on Oceans Drive will charge a lot more for food and drinks as it's the 'main' part. Check out restaurants on Collins or Washington, if you don't want to spend a lot on food everyday.

The Miami nightlife is expensive. As we were a group of girls, we were ok with general free entry into clubs, free drinks, etc but for guys - I can only imagine how much it might be. Talk to promoters walking around, but be cautious. Miami clubs are built around VIP/tables to be honest, so if you are going out - be prepared to spend big.

This was my second time visiting Miami, I had been before when really young with family. However, for a group of young girls to have fun, party but also relax - I would recommend The Dorchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

When you have to cancel your reservation 2 months in advance because a Hotel droops the ball; NO BUENO!
Made a reservation for 3 nights in March. I was quoted a total price and gave my credit card.
Called back a few day laters because I had not received an e-mail confirmation and upon my inquiry, I was told thet the quoted prices were incorrect and the they couldn't honor them.
Unfortunately, I had already made plans with my friends, bought my flight and taken money from all my friends and deposited into my credit card account.
They pretended to feel bad for the mistake and said that the manager Juan Velara would call me back to see what could be done. Guess what? Yup, I never received a call back.
Called again. They said Juan Velara would call again. Guess what again? Yup he never called back. I finally called reservations and canceled my reservations (funny how they were still active) then I asked for an e-mail confirmation and they had my wrong e-mail address! At this point i figured if they had dropped the ball 2 months before, I wasn't comfortable in seeing what they had in store for me! I am in the Hotel industry and customer service is always the number one priority, regardless if it's the Hotel's fault or not. Don't you forget that Mr. Juan Velara.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Chris M

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Priceline rated this hotel 2.5 star. Far from it. Bed had hair an bathroom was dirty. Bell boy refused to give me my car keys unless i gave him a $5 tip for doing nothing. Bottom line - dirty place and bad service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sean p
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Situated on the edge of the Art Deco area the Dorchester is within easy walking distance of Ocean Drive and the beach as well as nearby Lincoln Rd with its pedestrian district of shops and pavement restaurants. We stayed in one of the suites which are situated at the back of the hotel so relatively quiet. The apartment was very spacious with a small outside sitting area.
In the front of the hotel set back from Collins Ave is a pleasant courtyard area for relaxing/drinks /breakfast, with a reasonable sized swimming pool nearby. There is a Happy Hour everyday when a limited range of free drinks are available. The hotel also provides an umbrella and 2 chairs on the beach. Parking is expensive but that is true of the area generally.
The breakfast was average and the service poor mainly because one girl was expected to do virtually everything except the cooking! ( it was too much for one person.)
Overall we enjoyed our stay here and the location was good
BUT on checking out we signed and setled our bill in full, only for the hotel to take a further unauthorised charge from my credit card the next day after we had left!! I have emailed the hotel several times requesting details of this charge, but have failed to receive a response.
So Beware!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Having stayed at variious Miami Beach hotels (Sagamore and Alexander All Suites) I can safely say this is the best deal on Collins avenue. Clean spacious one-bedroom suites await travellers at a reasonable cost. With umbrellas and chairs included in our stay, I would have to say this is the best kept secret on the strip. Yes the drinks are overpriced but they do offer drinks for 1$ during happy hour....so get your good wine at Publix! It would have been nice a heated pool, but we weren't in Miami for that!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lapastaepronta
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Very good location and comfortable rooms but everything was extra - parking, breakfast, etc. The staff were able but not necessarily amiable. The location however was very good and we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family