“Perfect way to combine amazing views with a run down condo?”

Flamingo South Beach / Calico Apartments
Tampa, Florida
“Perfect way to combine amazing views with a run down condo?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

My brother lives at the Flamingo and since we were going to be in Miami for a week, we decided to spend the time there. We have a baby and we thought the pool was a must. My brother appartment is nice and we thought that all were the same. Much to our surprise the appartment was not up to par. We had an amazing view of the city (we were on the 14th floor, facing west) but that was it. The carpet was disgusting (they had to place rugs on top of the worse stains to hide them), there was no way of having coffee (no coffee maker and the electric kettle was broken.... someone, likely while drunk, decided to place it over the stove!). There were 3 forks and 6 spoons and 5 knifes (the appartment was for 4 people)... One bathroom was OK but the other was minute. Both outdated, and one of them without a working electric outlet.
We had only noise issues one night, the others it was pretty quiet.
We rented the condo through goflamingocondo.com and we did not have any issues with them, they were polite but I wish they had disclosed about the condition of the appartment. We were given magnetic keys that did not work (had to use my brother's extra one).
The pool was nice and had a nice view. There is plenty of shade. There is a small bar where you can get drinks and some sandwiches and like.
The condo is in a good location but be aware that the beach is on the other side of the island! There were always taxis at the front but you can walk around, pretty safe area. Very close to Lincoln Road, where many restaurants are open until late.
Parking was about $16/day but if you can find it, there is parking spots available outside (make sure you do park in the areas allowed, otherwise you will get a ticket).
Overall, I do not think I will go back there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lucybelle1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

I am a current resident, and cannot wait for my contract to finish. I thought the fact of being well located and having a partial water view would cover all the negatives, but it doesn't! at least for me. The units are dirty, plagued with roaches (no matter how many times you call to exterminate, dozens show up dead in the carpet, and dozens reappear again!)... The units are old, bathroom cheap and tiny with tiles dirty and old. Even after 2 years, they wont change your carpet. Walls are super thin (trust me!!), its a constant issue with the neighbors. The parking although half empty, is overpriced at $160 a month, and not included. No visitor parking. Maintenance is from bad to worst, never answer phone, leave messages that get ignored!!!!.. overall... it doesnt cut it!, very similar to a really expensive restaurant with a great location that cookes horrid food!.. welcome to the Flamingo! is the biggest marketing scam i have seen!!! they fooled me!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lovesobe2011

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our 2 bdrm apt was $1,600 for 7 nights. Many electric outlets were not functional, dishwasher did not work, washer/dryer combo did not work, and the filthy stained carpet was disgusting. We never even got our pass key until 36 hours before we left. I have been trying to get a call back from the agent since we got back. He will not return my call, e-mails, or respond to my snail mail. What a big dissapointment!

Room Tip: Word of mouth. Do not trust the website.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bking8891
mikeandjen2002
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

I'm a native of Miami and know the beach well. I moved away several years ago but always come back to visit. Knowing the area like I do, I chose the Flamingo because of the location. You can walk to the beach, to Lincoln Road, and if you are a runner like me, it's a great area to run (especially on the Venetian Causeway). We stayed here for 5 days with our two children (ages 6 and 3). Overall we were pleased and think we were incredibly lucky to get a decent unit that was relatively quiet. We stayed in the South Tower 5th floor and rented from an individual owner via VRBO (www.vrbo.com). Our owner met us personally when we arrived - and though I think this was a good customer service gesture, I soon figured out that it was also because the South Tower only allows rentals for a one-month minimum. The owner pointed this out when we arrived and said that if anyone from security asked who we were to say we were "his family visiting from out of town." This made me a little uncomfortable but we went with it.

From what we noticed, the North Tower is to be avoided unless you want a constant party atmosphere. The North Tower is a low-rent building whereas the South Tower is a condo that is inhabited by owners. The Central tower is the one shown in most pictures and is the tall, gleaming new structure. That is also a rental property but judging from the prices that approach near $3,500/month you see mostly professionals living there. We wanted to stay in the Central Tower but there are little, if any, short term rentals available.

The South Tower (like the North Tower) was built in 1960 so its not exactly the most contemporary of places. Some units have been renovated but most, like ours had not been. Thankfully, the units next to us on both sides were not occupied while we were there, so it was quiet. That said, we had a direct view of the North Tower and the noise coming from there was loud, at times obnoxious, and seemingly at all hours - day and night. We heard people boozing, yelling, fighting, and partying late into the evening from across the area that separates the two towers. Again, South Tower was relatively quiet. One good thing to point out - the windows and balcony sliding door are soundproof, so when closed, you could not hear the noise from outside.

The grounds overall seemed well maintained and I saw no evidence whatsover of what some other reviewers are saying about fleas, cockroaches, dog feces, etc. We saw none of it and felt comfortable letting our kids play outside in the grassy areas and pool area. The pool in the South Tower was terrific and was kid friendly. Be advised, however, that this is South Beach and that it attracts Europeans which usually means lots of smoking and nude sunbathing. This doesn't bother us personally, but when kids are involved its a little different. We only had one instance where we felt we needed to bring the kids indoors and that was because of the amount of smoking going on.

The unit itself was no frills but it served its purpose. We like a little more luxury but given that we spent so much time outdoors it didn't bother us as much as we thought it would. Overall, it was a clean and centrally located place to sleep at the end of a fun filled day.

I do recommend this property, but I advise you to deal directly with owners and to avoid the management companies and concierge companies at all costs. And - stay only in the South Tower.

Room Tip: Deal with owners directly only
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank mikeandjen2002
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

We rented here for a month because we thought it would be very high end. We paid a FORTUNE for our apt (which was beautiful with a great view) becuase we wanted a luxury vacation. Instead the place is crawling with undergrads on spring break...complete with bright colored plastic glasses...screaming drunks by the pool....idiot guys screaming "I LOVE YOU MIAMI" off the balconys. It is completely gross.

No adult should stay here. And by the way..renting here by the week/weekend is illegal. Thats why everything is done in CASH. 1 month is the minimum. Im happy to see they are cracking down on this. A group of 5 guys came in...were found out to be illegal renters...and were refused entry. They lost all their money and were stuck in Miami with no place to stay. Ploice are here all the time because of drugs.

Bottom line: if you are an adult professional stay away because its pretty but is basically a dorm experience in a 4th rate college. If you are a kid on spring break...dont take a risk of loosing your money by renting illegally. If you are Euro-trash coming for a month to do drugs and party.....come, you will love it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jphanse1
The Burg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

I will be up front with you about this. I don't know why some people are complaining about the dog feces. Now outside in the court yard there is a grass area where people walk their dogs and it does smell like it, but this is outside and far from any indoor place or room. This is a condo My unit was lovely and included an awesome view of southbeach. The condo has security and randomn visitors are escorted away from the property. There is a conveinient store in the lobby and two pools. Now I did not get in the pools but they both were large and people were in them everyday. Not to mention the location was great close to south beach, a 10 min. walk away, and near Lincoln Mall resturants and other groceries. So everything is very close. I went during Memorial day weekend which is a party weekend on south Beach but this hotel is just far enough from the strip that you can get peace and quiet, and when your're ready to party jus walk or catch a quick cab. The owner will give you everything you need plates towels linen, and my room had a washer dryer. I didn't have a dog so as to the flea situation i can only say that there was nothing like that in my room or anywhere near my room. The only thing I will say is the price is up there but if you have the money its the best bang for your buck. Luxury.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

I stayed here for a month just after Christmas and the place is amazing. Reading reports on TA stating that the pool was freezing, I was a little concerned, but got a letter through my door on the first day to say this had been fixed. (I understand it had been a long time coming).

I stayed in Unit 1058S and it was amazing! All mod cons and the best bed I have ever slept in (I even took a photo of the label so I can try and find one at home). The main this is the amazing bay views from this unit. I saw others in the building and the other towers and many are dated which explains the other reviews. Just ask for a modern apartment and you should be fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple