“Bed bugs beware”

Majestic Hotel South Beach
Ranked #197 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 17, 2009

At first, the hotel was okay. I don't really expect anything spectacular in south beach. Check-in was fairly quick and didn't have any problems at all. The guy at the front desk said he would give me a room in the back to prevent from the ocean drive people traffic, that was appreciated. The elevator was a death trap, so after the first shot, I prevented getting in that again, besides it was only three flights. The room was mediocre, looked clean and didn't smell or anything. Thought it was funny that they chained down the tv remote. One thing that did bother me was the stupid rules with the mini bar, they muttered something about $25 dollars, but I just wanted to utilize it to keep things cold. They acted like they didn't want to give up the key.

The first night I slept okay with no problems. Woke up after a crazy night on Ocean Drive.
Decided to have breakfast in the hotel restaurant, since it was advertised at a reasonable price. They failed to tell me that my drink (a mimosa) was gonna cost me more than the damn breakfast. First annoyance.

Now it was time for dinner because of my laziness I gave the restaurant another shot, well I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and a beer, since it was happy hour 2 for 1 special. Well to my surprise, the beer I ordered was like a six pack poured into a magarita bowl. I don't drink that much so this was extremely overwhelming for me. I was so pissed when I got the bill and saw that wonderful 2 for 1 cost me 25 bucks. Out of principle I took the second one to go after not even eating the first one. Second annoyance.

So the last night I was there after drinking two gallons of beer, I crashed hard. I woke up to check out to find bites all over my body!!!!!! I have never in all my hotel days experienced bed bugs. So now Im back in NY, looking like I had a fight with a mosquito. How can they bite on the last night, but not any of the other night?? Third of most of all the worst annoyance.

Now checking out pissed me off till no end. The guy at the front desk early in the morning was pathetic. Didn't know how to do anything without calling the sister hotel. There server was down so he forced me to pay my hotel fee by cash, now what if I didn't have cash?? This hotel was a huge disappointment. Next time I will stick to what I know, the catalina and doubletree. Thanks for the bugs, Majestic.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank sam_cooke

Reviewed September 7, 2009

dont stay at this restaurant or hotel they have rude staff and a terrible atlantic salmon dinner.
the waiter outside at the street told us that we get 2 meals for one at the happy our time we were visiting but after the dinner we had to pay for both meals and they told us he would never offer something like that ,even the manager (we called him to solve the problem) told us as liars!!!!!
so be aware of this restaurant they wanna trick all foreign customers.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rx8wanki
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Dirty hotel. The minute you enter (after fighting off the half-dozen or so staff at the restaurant trying to get more of your dollars), you are hit by a brutal stench of industrial cleaner which I imagine they use to flood the place in an attempt to mask the mould, grime, and dirt.

Unfriendly staff. The girl at the counter, when you are lucky enough to find her there, greets you with a frown. I asked her to do an internet search for a hotel a friend was staying at, she googled and promptly gave me a 305 telephone number. I asked is there a toll-free number? She said no. I asked pretty please can you click on the link from the google search to go to the hotel website? She grudgingly obliges. Lo and behold an 800 number on the hotel home page. Zero extra effort, just the bare minimum to get rid of me.

Towels got more and more scarce as our stay wore on. Crowded rooms, cheap pillows with no body, so uncomfortable, prison cell calibre I'm sure. Tiny bathroom, no space for toiletries.

No pens or phone books anywhere to be found. Valet parking at $27 per, cash thanks very much, for the privilege of waiting 30 minutes to get your vehicle. After one try, we opted for street or lot parking. Cheaper too, and available when you need it not when they feel like getting the car for you.

Now the restaurant. Constant harassment from the staff to sit for a drink or meal. You would think we being guests there would be spared the solicitation since they are already getting our cash every night, but you don't know the level of greed of this establishment.

Beware the 2-for-1 drinks. You are served what pretty much equates to 4 servings of beer or drink in one huge, cheap plastic mug, for a cool $25. I told the waiter it's a scam. This is not a 2-for-1. This is a 4-for-4. Nobody who is not an alcoholic can have the second serving in one sitting, and besides, even if you can finish both, you are on the hook for much more drink than you bargained for. Guess we should have asked 'are we getting 60 ounces of beer' but who knows to ask those questions. Dishonest.

Location is lousy. Do not get fooled. You do not want to be on Ocean Drive. Access to the beach there is via a seedy city park with all kinds of riff raff around. You want Collins north of say 15th, hotels like Marseilles (where I stayed in 2000) or Catalina, or others. Beach access through the rear of the hotel, minimal general public and all the attendant noise and filth. South Beach along Ocean Drive is the worst beach in South Florida, rubbish everywhere.

One last note: lots of banging above our room most days, construction almost every day.

Horrible hotel. Stay clear.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nick2009
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We arrived earlier than the check in time but our room was ready (mad props!) and they let us in with no extra cost. The room was clean and the bathroom was fine. The location is great, you are just steps away from the beach and the nice restaurants and dancing spots. The stuff was super helpful and nice, I really liked that. Al, at the front desk was very helpful and super nice to us (everyone is) and we trully appreciated it. We will definitely use the Majestic for our upcoming trips to Miami, it is of great value and very well located. I think when you are in SoBe you just want a nice decent hotel to get some rest and sleep, not to stay there all day right? we highly recommend the Majestic. regarding what we've read in other reviews about the hidden fees, in our case they were never hidden fees, those fees were stated when we booked and also when we checked in, no hidden fees at all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

"Surprised from the Hidden Fees"
22/06/2009, Houston, Texas
We recently stayed at the Majestic Hotel. We was a little shocked from the Resort Fees and the 250.00 Deposit which was never told to us when booking. The rooms was average a little smaller than what you see in the pictures. But the room was cleaned! They did a good job cleaning the rooms. The location of the hotel is wonderful, you are right acrossed the street from the beach with tons of shops, clubs, and restaurants nearby. Please be warned about the Restaurant intrusive approaches for eating there. Everytime we enter and exit the hotel we were approach to eat there at the restaurant. But it seem like all of the Ocean Drive Hotel/Restaurant does that so it was not a big deal to me. But I had a pleasant stay and I would recommend others to stay there for "LOCATIONS"!! The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This hotel is a DUMP!!!! It smells musty and the carpet is damp. The employees dont speak a lick of ENGLISH and they are soooooooo RUDE!!!!!! There is a restaurant in the front of the hotel and when you try to walk in or out they soliciate you CONSTANTLY to eat there. You could walk in and they would ask you to eat there and turn around and walk right back out and they will ask you again. They follow you down the steeet pretty much BEGGING you to eat there.... HOW ANNOYING!!!! Im pretty sure that this place needs to examined by the board of health because it is NASTY and I would NOT eat there if they gave it to me for free!!!! They carry the food from down in the basement and Im pretty sure that is not how it should be. I would not recommend staying here at all. I woke up the next morning and had nasty bites on my legs and I know for sure they were not there prior to going to bed. Im pretty sure they were from the bed.... UHHHH GROSS!!!! Im sure they were bed bugs..... I had to exterminate my suitcase because I was so afraid that I was gonna carry bugs back from that nasty place in my bag. Pretty sure I saw a cockroach crawl across the floor. WAY GROSS!!!!! Im gonna have nightmares forever now and Im so scared for life. The internet connection there SUCKS!!!! U have to sit in a certain part of the room and its so slow you cant stand it!!!! And if you need to use the restroom you might as well go down the street to a portapotty. You cant even sit without your legs hitting the wall. You have to straddle it. Good thing Im not a big girl cause I would get stuck!!!! I really hope no one has to experience this horrific place like I did..... SO PLEASE RUN DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009
4  Thank jensaprincess02
Reviewed July 7, 2009

No one wants to read a long story on our bad experience so I'll make it short. This hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed. There are so many nice places to stay in south beach spend the extra money and enjoy your stay. I've attached pictures of our room which is vastly different than their pictures. The bathroom was impossible to use the toilet. And to get into the place is a nightmare. Stairs at the front of the building and stairs or a so called elevator to get to your room. We had to go up 3 flights of stairs to get to our room. We tried the elevator first and thought we were going to die. It went up 1 floor and then dropped. EVERYONE AT THIS HOTEL IS RUDE. But we all have encounter rude people, it is way more than that. We had an incident in the lobby which is very small. The lobby clerk was upset that we were in his lobby to check in.... We had earlier asked for an early check in and if there was a place for our luggage and was told yes. We were also told we should be able to check in about noon. So we came inside with our luggage about 11:30 it took awhile to get thru the restaurant and the stairs. Al the lobby clerk on duty didnt want us to wait in his lobby. I wasnt taking my luggage back down the stairs just to bring it back. He was only worried about filling the very small lobby with people's luggage that were checking out. Al wanted us to move and demanded that I get up from the couch in the lobby. So when I got up he shoved the couch I was sitting on over into my luggage and knock one of the bags that was on top of another bag over and broke a bottle of alcohol into my bag and ruined my camera and souvenirs from the Bahamas. I asked to speak with the manager which they dont have one. So after getting a little loud in the lobby he finally gave me a name and number from someone at a different hotel. The have 4 properties. When I spoke with Carla she refused to come to the hotel she wouldn't see me if I went to her. She told me that this incident was just like if someone stole 5000.00 dollars from me there was nothing she could or would do for me. I sorry but the negligence of your staff was the reason the we even had a problem. And to totally not even come and see and try to do anything is unacceptable. Do yourself and your family a favor and spend a little extra money on a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple