“Just OK”

Ranked #189 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Danvers, Massachusetts
“Just OK”
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Although our stay started poorly, the place grew on me. Mostly because of the staff, who were generally very helpful. When we arrived, however, I was shocked at several things. The elevator. It must be original, which is OK. I could take the sudden drop before the door closed and write it off as an interesting quirk. What I couldn't write off was the dirt on the interior of the cab and on the doors one had to push open to exit. They were dark with the dirt of who knows how many hands, and were not cleaned during our stay. The smell was another extreme turn-off. The whole place reeked of the kind of cheap "air cleaner" that used car salesmen use to cover noxious odors in upholstery. The air was saturated with it, most notably in the halls. I wondered what they were trying to mask. I didn't know if we could stick it out, but we did, mostly because I could find no other rooms during this "Food and Wine Festival" week. The lobby was in disarray as well, with construction on the bar, which was closed all nut the last night. I will say that they did a terrific job of transforming a forlorn space into an attractive restaurant.

So, the other cons: noise. Unbelievable, unrelenting noise. Cars, motorcycles, drunks (many, especially after the bars close at 3 or 4 AM), garbage trucks, and my favorite: the army of men with leaf blowers who fan out at about 6AM and blast their way across the front porches of all the hotels in the neighborhood until around 6:30. No real coffee in the room. The housekeeping staff kept leaving me decaf. When I brought it to the desk and asked for the good stuff, I was just told, "that's all we have". Seeing as how I'm paying an involuntary daily "resort fee", I don't think that's an acceptable answer. Or if that's the case, at least say, "And we'll be getting more right away".

The room was a decent size and clean. The beds were extremely hard. The room we were first in had broken shades and looked out at the close-in wall of another hotel, but when I asked if there was another we were given a much nicer one facing the park/beach. Though two of the five shades in that room were broken as well, the view of sun and palm trees made up for it. There is a nice TV, a decent desk for working and only enough space for one person to stow clothes. The bathroom was clean and functioned well, but was lacking in shelf space for sundries. I was traveling with my teen-age daughter, so you can imagine what kind of space we needed. The internet access was spotty. You really had to go down to the lobby to get consistent reception. Finally, one of my pet peeves: no chair to sit, relax and read in.

So overall, an OK place, especially for singles or college folk, as others have noted.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BobofBuffalo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Wyncote, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I stayed at this hotel during President's Day weekend. The location, in my opinion, is fabulous. You are at the corner of 7th Street and Ocean Drive. Right across the street is the beach.
When I arrived, I was a little leary that the hotel may have cancelled, lost, or never even received my reservation (happened with another hotel on South Beach). I was happy to learn that they had my reservation and was waiting for me.
In getting to my room, I did find it to be small, but what I needed it for (sleeping, changing clothes, the occasional sleep-in), I found it to be good.
The staff was really accomodating. My housekeeper always asked me if I needed anything and would sometimes reclean the room even after she made it and I came in for a mid-day chang.
There is a resort fee of $7.50 per day for beach chairs and towels.
Overall a nice stay. If you are looking for bells and whistles, honestly, stay somewhere else. If you are looking for inexpensive, convienent, and clean, stay here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Angela P
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2009

on the whole the majestic was not a bad place to stay,location could not be better for the south beach strip which also has its down side if noise is not an issue,there was shouting and doors slamming until five in the morning and when this finished the garbage trucks came out to play!!!!!When choosing a room make sure your clear when you state you want a sea view as we had to put our heads out the window and look right to see the fantastic ocean!!!Hotel was clean but there is strange odour throughout the hotel,I'm not sure if it was from the detergents used or if the carpets had seen too many parties!!Staff were very friendly and rooms were cleaned regularly throughout our 10 night stay with clean towels at hand also.One down side is if you like to laze by the pool the Majestic does not have this facility and it appears on the web site that the pool at the SISTER hotel is beside the Majestic but its actually about 5 or six blocks away,we did however take a stroll to have a look and we were not inpressed as it was in small courtyard mainly surrounded by other buildings with a huddle of people at one end catching the rays.All rooms are equipped with mini bar with a seal that we did not break but we still had a bill on checkout and were informed that the bottle of water left in our room was part of the mini bar,its not about tthe money we just felt it was a cheap ploy by the hotel to make a quick buck,aswell as this we were hit with a resort fee of 7 dollars per day that was never mentioned at all so just be aware of the hidden cost as our hidden charges amounted to nearly $100.Great destination for groups of single guys and girls but if your a couple looking for a relaxed holiday to unwind I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
DC
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Last minute went there for a friends birthday. Never been to Miami and when I got there, I feel in love with the front deck. People could sit out there and watch everyone walking up and down the street. Best thing, you have to be buzzed in the building in order to get in which is great for security purposes. Elevator was smelly and a little slow, but that was not a big issue for me. We were on the second floor, had an ocean view thank to the front desk agent. She was very nice (forgot her name) and she gave us the room b/c it was my friends birthday. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean, iron was awesome. Anthing I needed they brought to us, except bringing more towels....the maid service was a little slow on that. Walking distance from everything and right across from the beach. Night time was the best b/c we could go anywhere and it was right at our feet...literally. It was not loud early in the morning, but loud at night but everyone is outside at night so that is expected. If you are looking to party and have a great time and also be in a great Hotel...The Majestic is it. I will be back soon!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Miss_Icey
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2009

If you're looking to stay in South Beach and you've started your research on accommodations, you'll see that your choices are endless. For me, I wanted something close to the beach and inexpensive, but clean and comfortable. After much investigation, I booked by 3 night stay at the Majestic on Ocean Drive. I arrived 4 hrs before check in so logically, my room was not ready. After speaking with Carlos (one of the most polite gentlemen I have met in a very long time), he gave me the option of choosing another room that was available, which I did. I was given the keys & up I went to the 3rd floor. The room was exceptionally small, but I wasn't concerned because it was just me and I wasn't planning on spending much time in my room...as long as the bed was comfy & the room was clean, that's all I cared about. I began to unpack my suitcase when I discovered a leak in the closet ceiling. I called Carlos right away and he immediately came to my rescue by sending a gentleman up to my room to take my bags to another room on the 2nd floor. I walked in and voila...I was facing Ocean Drive therefore the beach! YAY! He called me shortly after to apologize for the inconvenience and for my trouble, he upgraded me. WOW! I was blown away! I unpacked, freshened up and off I went to meet up with my friends for lunch.

My first night in Miami Beach, I unfortunately had my purse stolen in a club. LADIES...IF YOU TAKE A PURSE, MAKE SURE IT HAS A STRAP AND YOU HAVE IT ON YOU AT ALL TIMES! After reporting it stolen to the Miami Beach Police, they informed me that it is very common and that 9X out of 10, it's someone who works at the venue that takes it because they quickly figure out that you're a tourist by watching you take pictures all night, yaddy yaddy yadda. Clearly distraught, I returned to the hotel purseless...no key, no money, no nothing. Maria was at the front desk and she was so calm and kind that she told me not to worry. She sat with me for a good half an hour 'googling' phone #s I needed to cancel my credit cards & cell phone. Thank goodness for her, I would have been lost otherwise. I made the best out of the rest of my trip (thanks to my good friends) and was glad I stayed because it was a great time! When I checked out, darling Carlos was there to say goodbye. When I went to settle up for my room charges, I had to tell him that he couldn't charge my credit card because I had to cancel it and then told him my sob story. He was so sweet and kindhearted that he didn't even charge me for my 2 lost keys (normally $25 each).

Overall, my stay at Majestic was memorable. If you are thinking at staying at this hotel for a place to lay your head and get clean, it's perfect. If you're looking for luxury & space & a bathroom sanitized like a hospital, you're going to have to pay more for a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Oh ya...we just happened to be there during South Beach's 'Art Deco Weekend' where Ocean Drive was a street party from Friday morning to Sunday night...what a blast!!! :-)

• Liked — LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!
  • Disliked — Not as clean as I keep my house but I'm anal.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank BCmo
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Booked the hotel on hotwire was listed as 3.5 stars. Nice address I will give it that directly across from the beach. Room inside was that of maybe a days inn/ howard johnson witha nice LCD tv and a "mini bar" which consisted of a small fridge in the corner of the room. The room is very clean however. The lobby as of this second is apparently under renovation and looks like hell.(01/20/09) and the commonways kind of remind me of a trashy apartment building. The window looks out at the back alleyway in both directions. So basically if your just intending on coming to south beach to get drunk and hang out at the beach well then its a great place... a romantic night with your woman.... probably not. Guess well just get drunk so that we feel like we are back in college.... woooo boobies!!! oops sorry.

• Liked — That its across from the beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David M

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Far North, MN
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We just got back from a 4 night stay at the Majestic and had a wonderful time. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and the rooms are VERY clean. We stayed at the Carlton last year and that was okay. This hotel is the sister to the Carlton and, in our estimation, WAY better. It is very close to the beach and Lummus park and, of course, the News Cafe. (incredible breakfast!) We definitely will stay again and highly recommend this property to all who want to thoroughly enjoy their stay in South Beach.

• Liked — The hotel is very close to the beach
  • Disliked — Since the hotel is right on Ocean Drive it can be noisy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple