WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Mutiny Hotel

The Mutiny Hotel
Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“Dive in and enjoy the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a week during a recent business trip. After working outdoors all day it was so wonderful to come back to the hotel and be able to hop into the pool and hot tub. I understand that the pool has recently been heated. I have been in several hotels in Miami in December and January and none of the pools are heated and the water is super cold. The Mutiny pool area is very secluded and quite charming and you are very close to the bar.

Room Tip: Ask to be on an upper floor near the front of the hotel especially if you like sleeping with the win...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

During a recent stay I arrived early and was assisted by Matt at the front desk who got me checked in early! He did it without hesitation or question. The concierge Kahlil(sp) was great with finding me transportation to the wedding I was going to. The rest of the staff was very nice as expected, not even an issue with valet.

Rooms are converted apartments so lots of space with a full kitchen. As much as I dislike Miami the mutiny provided me with an escape from the hectic Miami ways.

• Stayed January 2013
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

For us, Coconut Grove was a great location to stay during our Miami trip. We were able to sail on Biscayne Bay from a pier steps from the hotel, visit the fabulous Fairchild Botanical Gardens without costing a fortune in taxi fare, and wander though the village in the evening enjoying the cafe scene. We loved our day on Miami Beach but would not have wanted to stay there - too many people, too much noise. Our suite at the Mutiny was great - very clean, well laid out, and comfortable, including a full kitchen, washer/dryer, living/dining room, king bed, robes etc. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Public areas attractive and spotless. Lovely pool in a lush garden. Tip: For a fantastic view of the Bay & sunset, go for poolside drinks at the Sonesta Hotel next door & bring your bathing suit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above 4th floor. Ask for pool or bayview
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

On a recent trip to Miami, we were limited in hotel availability and the Mutiny was one of the few hotels available. Due to the mixed reviews on trip advisor I was expecting a lot less than what the Mutiny offered. The service from the front desk was very good, after check in they even called up to the room to check if everything was OK. The location is perfect, with a short walk into Coconut Grove, and the Coco Walk shopping complex. The room at Mutiny was large and more than we needed for a 1 night stay. The hotel is older, but the room we were in was well kept. The room was not absolutely spotless and showed a little wear and tear, but nothing seemed to be broken as some of the other reviewers suggest. We did not notice any problem with noise. We enjoyed our stay at the Mutiny and was hoping to stay again on our return to Miami, but it was unfortunately fully booked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

In 1983 I was a member of the Mutiny Club in Miami which was located at Miutiny Hotel At that time the club was the "IN" place in Miami.The club is no longer therel. I met my future wife at the club and we are still married. I have not been back to the Mutiny since then. My daughter, nephew and niece gave us a one night stay at the Mutiny to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The weekend was perfect. Excellent service. They even placed rose petals on the bed in the shape of a heart. It is conveniently located so you can walk to the famous Coconut Grove area of Miami with its many restaurants and "funky" stores. The apartment was in excellent condition. It even had a washer and dryer as well as a fully stocked kitchen.

Room Tip: With east side facing rooms you can see Biscayne Bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had to stay at the Mutiny for a week while on a business trip. I had come a month earlier for a one night stay to prepare for the job I had coming up in Miami and the Mutiny staff put me in a room on the third floor at the back of the building. There is a large parking garage on that end of the building and no view whatsoever. A car alarm went off every two hours all night so I was able to get almost no sleep. Realizing this would be very bad for a whole week of long days working, I requested at that time to be given a quieter room for my return trip. The staff at the desk said she would give me a room as high up as possible on the other side of the building.

On my return trip, I was given a room, again on the third floor, facing the pool which was very noisy. There was also a false fire alarm that night which required everyone to leave the building. Once again, very little sleep before a 12 hour work day.

The staff kept telling me they would get me into a better room but failed to do so. Each room offered was either dirtier or noisier. On the fifth day they moved me to a room that was over some giant generator for the pool system on the fifth floor so I slept with the windows shut tight all night, which is a shame in this beautiful weather. My view was of the parking lot and a bunch of old mattresses lying by the trash.

This has been my worst hotel experience ever.

Room Tip: Maybe if you bribe them with cash. Other people seem to have had a good experience.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Julie G
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We (My wife and I along with our 2 daughters, 14 and 6) stayed at the Mutiny from New Year's Eve through Friday, January 4th, 2012. I have to say that Trip Advisor kind of let me down on this one.

First off, the positive: the service at the Mutiny was excellent. We were greeted as we got out of our cab by the gentleman at the valet desk. He asked our name and then (presumably) passed it to the woman working at the check-in desk. She greeted us warmly, explained where to find the pool, restaurant, elevators, etc. Lastly, she made sure we had the 24 hour guest help number in case we needed something. We were off to a good start.

We were in room 205 on the 2nd floor on the right side (north) of the building, so our balcony looked out over the parking lot. We saw some other families with children on this floor, so maybe they try to put families together?

The suite was large - especially for Miami, and at one time, was probably nice. That time is long past, however.

What we ended up with was a room that was pretty noisy - what with conversations going in the car park and loud cars driving past about 10 feet from our balcony during the night.

In addition, there were lots of things that didn't work or were worn out. The stove had a knob that dangled oddly out of place (and hence a burner that wouldn't work). When my wife opened the nice cloth bag that the hairdryer comes in to get ready for dinner after a shower, the hairdryer came out in pieces.

It's clear that the Mutiny needs some repairs and upgrades to be worth the cost. They try hard, but miss countless important details.

Wobbly lamps, a broken bathroom faucet (they did send a nice maintenance guy to fix it promptly - but it never quite worked right), and a big dirty swath on the bedroom ceiling from the air conditioning vent come to mind. Oh, and little drips and blobs of paint on countertops and trim from a hasty paint job at some point.

I've stayed in hotel rooms that had these problems before, but that's the kind of condition I expect from a $79 room at a truckstop motel. I spent ~$275 per night for this stay.

Again, not to be mean-spirited... Melody at the front desk and everyone on the staff were professional and eager to please. I can't say enough about the people there.

Overall, next time I'm in Miami, I'll find another place. It'll cost a bit more, but I'll have the warm memories of the Mutiny's people to ease the pain.

Room Tip: You'll want to be on one of the upper floors to avoid street noise and hopefully get a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family