“Well located, very dirty, no housekeeper”

TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes
Ranked #83 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We have stayed at several Marriott hotels in New York, Orlando, Atlanta and other cities and we were surprised to find out that this Marriot hotel in Miami is very bad. Carpets extremely dirty. They never made the beds. The housekeeper knocked at our door while we were sleeping, gave us some clean towels and stated that she could not come back later to make the beds or clean the room in two days. The kitchen was dirty, needles to say that the dishes and cutlerly were also very dirty. They did not have extra pillows for the sofa. Very dissapointed. We paid the same rate that we paid at Fairfield in Orlando the day before for a very bad service.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 27, 2010

This was my first TownePlace visit. We used this opportunity to get away from the Christmas craziness in the city. The location is convenient to restaurants, food and drug stores, coffee place, and the 826 highway. “Main Street” Miami Lakes for shopping and dining is fairly close, but you will need a car to get there.

They have a friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were fine – not as large as other chain’s suites, but comfortable and clean. It is not a new property so it shows some wear and tear. There are several lamps, and the couch lets out if you have one additional adult guest or small children. I prefer a firmer bed, but it may be perfect for others.

Having a kitchenette is very convenient when staying for long periods. It has a regular-sized refrigerator/freezer, small stove and oven, microwave, coffee maker (coffee, tea, etc. included), and dishwasher. Also, pots/pans, plates, glasses, etc. for 3-6 people, depending on the number of beds.
No problem with the hotel, however, there was lots of noise from other guests, at least when we were there. It reminded me of a college dorm, where you can hear when people close their room doors, talk in the halls – even if they’re way down the hall.

Continental breakfast is available, including: muffins, juice, cereal, coffee/tea, apples and breakfast bars. There was a very small gym, and a coin laundry. The pool is small but it is RIGHT in front where EVERYBODY can see you.

Although I might consider a TownePlace in another city, I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank platynum1
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights. Room also had kitchen. Continental breakfast was provided with muffins, cereal bars, orange/apple juice. Not very close to the Miami activities like south beach and happening places, but the price per night was decent.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We were in Miami for 3 nights to see the Mets play at the Dolphin Stadium. This hotel was excellent as a base for travelling out from Miami during the day and for the baseball in the evening. The room was clean and comfortable and had cooking facilities (if you wanted to use them) and having a refrigerator was handy. The breakfast was free, but not really worth the effort to be honest.
The reception staff were all friendly and helpful, especially when it came to accepting our luggage which had been missing en route from the UK/Amsterdam/UK again and Washington DC for 5 days. Who knows when we would have received clean clothes if the reception staff hadn't persuaded Fed-Ex to leave our luggage with their signature rather than trying to find us in the hotel while on holiday!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanH775
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We recently stayed at the Miami Lakes Marriot TownePlace Suites in a 2 bedroom suite. We were advised before we went that the hotel was undergoing a soft renovation and that was fine. I was hoping that we got one of the rooms that had just been painted and got new carpet. Alas, we did not not. Our room was what I would expect for the money we paid. I never really felt like the room was cleaned as well as it should have been and we quickly discovered ants all over the suite, especially in the kitchen. Even though we had a kitchenette, I never felt comfortable leaving food in the fridge or cooking because of the ant situation. They were really small ants that you couldn't barely notice unless you looked very closely, but they were there.

1 hour after getting there, our traveling companions realize that their TV in their room had a green picture and they couldn't adjust it. The old Zenith TV just wasn't cutting it. She called to the front desk to ask for a replacement. 5 days later at checkout, we had never received a replacement TV. I also called and asked about the laundry facility and asked if there was a cost and was told no on the phone, but when I get down to the office, I realize that it was a coin laundry and they charged for the washer/dryers and the soap. I'm fine with paying, but just let me know if it costs money so I don't have to trek all the way back to my room for quarters.

Also, it was sporadic when the breakfast would be out. They said it was available from 6-9, but often I went down to the office area at 8am and it wasn't out. Instead, they would ask you what you wanted and then go retrieve it. It seemed to be a total inconvenience and lazy on the staff's part.

There were other snafu's, but I do have to say that the beds were comfortable, we received fresh towels everyday and the housecleaning did an okay job of wiping things down. I never felt like things were really cleaned while we were there and not once was the floor vacuumed during our stay. So, if you go to the beach, be careful not to bring sand into your room as it will just stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Not my favorite of the Marriott brands but for the price it was a pretty good value, Easy to get to, off the Palmetto Expressway, freindly staff. Not much of a breakfast just juice and breakfast bars.

Room was clean and decent sized, not a new property so it shows some wear and tear.

Priced about $50 less than any other Marriott property at the time I was there.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank CDY
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Old, fairly clean hotel in a busy area. Scariest thing is that there are many long term guests there who hang out in the parking lot all night and a trip to your car results in catcalls and hoots from those people.
TV did not get sound on many channels. Another in our group had ants everywhere. Desk notified but nothing was ever done. Rooms are so small that I had to watch Tv thru my toes; TV was actually that close to the bed!
Continental breakfast was a joke. Donuts/ danish tossed on one table with one self service coffee container sitting next to them. That was it. Nothing else.
Staff slept-walked thru their duties and exhibited no personality or guest service skills.
Never saw a manager. Maybe they need one.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank HoneyBunny271
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami West/FL Turnpike
Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
#1 of 4 in Miami Lakes
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)

Been to TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes? Share your experiences!