“Okay room, great location!”

Courtyard Miami Downtown/Brickell Area
Ranked #40 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel itself is fine for an overnight stay. The room was clean, but a little musty actually- though perfectly fine for a night. The best thing about the hotel is its location, if you are cruising or planning to go to the Bayside Market. Bayside is easily within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Well, we were a party of 4, just coming back from NYC to spend 4 days in Miami before going back to Brazil. The daily rate was very high, but we chose to stay closer to Miami Beach as well as not far from the airport and we were always very well treated when staying at Marriott hotels.

Check-in was smooth, people on the front desk spoke Spanish and English, and both are fine for me. We payed US$ 15 for each day of parking in the 6-story building garage that´s just beside the hotel (actually I think the hotel was built altogether with the garage building because the hotel pool is on the top of the garage building). The hotel staff told me that the parking was not hotel responsibility (another company took care of it) and therefore we shouldn´t leave anything inside the car (GPS Navigator, cameras, stuff like that). I´m from Brazil, so I´m already very cautious with this kind of thing in my everyday life.

In the first day we went to Walmart and did a whole bunch of shopping for things we can´t find in Brazil. We arrived quite late at the hotel (about 11pm). I had to carry many shopping bags from the car to the room upstairs. The next day when we went inside the car, I started looking for my sunglasses (I thought they were supposed to be in my wife´s purse). It turns out that the only thing that had stayed in the car overnight were my sunglasses and only because I forgot them on the glove compartment because we had so many things to carry from Walmart the previous day. Still, my sunglasses weren´t there, they had been stolen overnight, even though the car was locked.

I was very upset and complained to the front desk who obviously told me they could do nothing. I also complained to the parking manager, who obviously also told me the could do nothing (in fact I believe they are conniving with this kind of thing). I wasn´t let this small bump get in the way of my vacation but it was very disturbing being robbed inside the parking garage that cost us 15 bucks a day. I still don´t know how this burglar got inside the vehicle. He had plenty of time to look for something to steal, since there was nothing else in the car, an the sunglasses were inside the glove compartment. There are no surveillance cameras in this parking garage. A friend of mine that lives in Miami actually thinks some thieves have some "all-purpose" keys for these rental cars, that allows them to open most of the rental cars in Miami. So look out, if staying in this hotel rest assured that anything left inside the vehicle overnight WILL BE ROBBED!

Aside from that we had a lovely stay. The hotel is very well taken care of, the restaurant on the main lobby is very good, great food, lovely space for a conversation late at night. The rooms are very clean and spacious. I hit the gym a couple of times, a little bit on the small side, but the equipment is new. The location is excellent during daytime but full of bums and beggars at night so beware. The Bayside Marketplace is nearby but I wouldn´t go walking there at night. This hotel also got a laundry room (coin operated) which was great as we were in the end of our vacation and running out of clean clothing.

In the end I would only stay here again if the price is right (paying well over 200 bucks a day plus 15 bucks in parking and still getting robbed is too much for me). Next time I´ll look for some other Marriott hotel in Fort Lauderdale or Aventura, much safer than Miami Downtown.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night prior to our Disney cruise and I would highly recommend it for families traveling with small children. First off, the lobby has a huge, gorgeous aquarium which kept the kids mesmerized as we were checking in/checking out/ordering food/etc. Right off the lobby is their restaurant, and it's bistro style (order food, take a number to your table, and wait 5-10 minutes for food to arrive). Normally, I don't love this kind of set-up but it was perfect with kids. They have several booths in the back outfitted with TV sets, so again, my kids quietly ate their dinner watching Sponge Bob while the adults could have a relaxing conversation. Food was excellent too. We visited the pool one day and the kids enjoyed that. Last, and most importantly (the reason I'm taking the time to write this review) was their staff. I had purchased several gift cards using my credit card points to pay for my stay at the hotel. Imagine my frustration when I realized I had forgotten them at home! While the front desk was unable to provide me any guidance, the hotel's accountant did suggest (though it's outside of their normal policy) that I send the gift cards to them after my vacation to get my charges reversed. I did exactly that and they did exactly what they promised me in a timely manner. It was highly appreciated!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Was a little unsure of whether I had made a mistake booking this hotel, but it turned out to be a great choice for a pre-cruise stay in Miami. Front desk personnel were very helpful & pleasant, room was great. The hotel was within walking distance of Bayside Marketplace, where we went for dinner. Also close to the monorail, but we did not use it. There is also a CVS nearby for any last minute or forgotten items. Had a nice breakfast at the hotel bar/restaurant (not included). There is a shuttle which will take you to the cruise port for $5/person--very easy & convenient. I would definitely stay here again if I were cruising out of Miami.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohmom3
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The stay here was ok. A few things i think they need improvements on are: the elevators probably should have better security for the patrons (there is a seedy neighborhood close by to the hotel), I also noticed a mildewy smell to our room, linen was of poor quality.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank arlingtonmei
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Let me start by saying at first impression I found the front desk very helpful! Our King Suite that we had booked was more that spacious and was ready for us befor the 3 pm check-in. We really appreciated this as our flight from Canada was delayed almost 24 hours so thank-you for that!What really annoyed me other than the extraordinary high price for a glass of wine from the bar....$9 Really! was the fact when after five minutes of trying to make a collect call from my room , I called the front desk for guidance. At no time did he tell me that it was not possible to call collect from my room anad told me what to do...at which time I placed the call. I talked no more than five minutes. On check-out I was informed that I owed $29,50 for that call....WHAT! I called Canada not Japan . I informed the man at the desk that it was a collect call I made..only then did he tell me you cannot call collect from your room. O.K. bet seriously $30? Who is making the money on that call? Our shuttle was waiting so I had no other choice but to pay. Sorry folks but this just made an otherwise good stay bad. I did not mind the $240 price for the suite but found the services a rip off.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank gramma22
PJimenez305, Director of Sales at Courtyard Miami Downtown/Brickell Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry you experienced some challenges with trying to make a call to Canada.

We will share your feedback on our phone company with regards to the charges.

We do hope to have the opportunity to see you again in the future when travel and time permits.

At Your Service

Peggy Jimenez

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here for a few days while attending a conference. The hotel is located close to many great restaurants and attractions. The staff were attentive and friendly. The room was comfortable, clean and did not look at all "tired" as one reviewer put it in a previous review. Had a neat view of Miami tower from my room. One caveat: While the pool and pool deck are quite nice with comfortable chaise lounges, the area only had sun in the early to mid afternoon hours during the time I stayed. Coupled with the fact that the pool is not heated, those people looking for an all day sun & swim experience should head to the beach.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm very pleased to hear that everything was great with your accommodations and location of the hotel.

I can assure you that we take great pride in having our guest feel at home when staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you should the opportunity arise.

At Your Service