“sometimes cheap is not enough...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wishes Motel

Wishes Motel
Ranked #105 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Rochester, Michigan, United States
“sometimes cheap is not enough...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I can confirm what others have been writing about. But first I need to let you know that the staff - some funny african-american guy - did his best to make us feel comfortable. The fax with the reservation data (and also the creditcard data) was lying in the booth which somebodz here called a lobby. everybody could take a look at pretty sensitive data from the outside. Than the credit card machine didn't work and we had to pay the deposit cash and - oh wonder - we got it back the next day.
The pool looked not too bad, but was closed. Furthermore in this area I would try to hide as much as I can as a caucasian guy and not expose more than necessary.
The room was pretty awfull. The wooden flore is quite a good idea I guess even if the rest needs more than a little TLC. Stained walls, totally rotten bathroom. Unfinished kitchenette, no decoration at all (except the one broken mirror), the AC was at the back of the room and I don't know, where it got it's air from. There was a big new plasma TV on the wall, mounted in a wooden frame that looked as if a 3 year old had put it together. The remote was missing and they were not able to offer a replacement because all had been stolen. So it didn't work at all...
The beds were too soft and not really clean. bedskirts were missing and the sheets - I didn't have my black light with me and I'm glad about it.
There actually was a girl right infront of me when we checked in, who wanted a room for less than a whole night. So these rumours seem right. WLAN was working, but no internet connection possible.
The area is pretty central but not nice!

If you are looking for a cheap night in a dry place, this could be better then sleeping at the bus stop. If you spend 50% more (which is about 30 bucks) you can get a real room...

Room Tip: spend more money and don't wast your time on vacation
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Goetz V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Ok so this place is generally for hookers, back packers and other forms of low life. We paid for 2 nights at another hotel the hotel Roma and after one night had to check out, we ended up here at the wishes motel, instantly when I saw the "we rent rooms by the hour" I knew what we were getting into, however the location was good, the check in was painless, reception was just a tiny booth, they did take $50 bond which was returned. We had room 106 ground floor by pool, the door frame looked like it had been kicked in before several times by police or pimps, but it still managed to lock securly. Hardwood floors, king bed huge LCD tv on wall, 1 bedside cabinet, old clothes hanger thing on wheels, no other furniture. Sink in room with no coffee facilities or even cups. Bathroom was dated and had loose fittings and shower had no pressure. Bathroom door had a huge hole in it that they had taped over then painted, innovative but not effective, back of bathroom door had shoe prints all over the length of it. Some power points didn't work. We slept soundly and when checking out the front desk person seemed surprised we had been in 106 as the rooms on the ground floor are usually reserved for the "hourly" guests. The rooms upstairs apparantly have furniture. Yes is was not my 1st choice but it was better than anywhere in the NW streets of Miami.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cityboy_nz

Travelers are raving about these Miami hotels

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

The Wishes Motel (aka Villa Cortez Motel) at 4700 SW 8th St. in Miami has a requirement now that you make a $50 key deposit when you check in. It was made on my debit card and I returned it the day I checked out and got a credit slip. After 2 weeks have passed since I checked out, I called the motel several times and got several different answers, finally leading up to; "you have to go to your bank, because we made the credit transaction." It's not our problem if the money doesn't show up in your bank account.

I have better things to do with my time than go to my bank and start a charge dispute, although I have been forced to.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank mgbok
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

Most disgusting place I have ever stepped foot into. The so called "front desk/office" was a glass room with an automatic lock with signs saying "no prostitution". Upon arrival we asked to see the room first and were told no room viewing and no refunds. I walked out of the office area to keep my cool temperally and then I saw the black, moldy swimming pool. There was some form of "lady" running up and down the exposed hallway banging on doors and windows. We ended up leaving after I told the desk worker that we were not going to pay for the scum hole. She ripped up all of our paperwork and started screaming in something other than English. We are now fighting the bill to get rid of the charges for this scum hole that we would never stay in if it was the last building on earth. You will most likely be killed if you stay in this "little Havana"!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AMYCLE
Lancaster, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Under no circumstancs should anyone stay here. I didn't even know places still rented rooms by the hour. My wife and I picked up a business partner at the airport and took her to this hotel which she had booked on her own. The "lobby " is a glass booth in the parking lot. The lobby is the nicest part. The room was down a dingy corridor next to an alley strewn with trash and debris. Upon opening the door to the room I thought we were on set from CSI Miami. bare floors, broken countertop, the toilet sat in a cove large enough to turn around in and sit down. The jacuzzi tub was brown with mold and crud, the drain stopper was missing and the shower head dripped endlessly. there was a gap large enough to put your fingers through between the window and the wall frame. She asked for a different room and was told they were sold out, but she could use a shower in a dirty room until housekeeping cleaned her room the next day. She asked for a refund and was told no refunds under any circumstances. My wife and I took her to our hotel and she stayed on the couch. Stay away at all costs. This place should be torn down and replaced with a vacant lot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank wildraisin
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

Upon arrival at this hotel, we found that the parking was on the street in a very unsavoury neighbourhood.
I entered what passes for the reception area to be met with a sign which read "No prostitution or illegal activities"
The reception was dirty and in poor condition. The person behind the counter did not end his conversation with his "lady" friend.
We did not even look at the room as we felt totally unsafe there.
Do not go!!!!!!!
I would not recomment this hotel to an enemy never mind a friend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cken55
pittsburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

this place is a scam. DO NOT STAY HERE. the manager demanded i pay in cash, and we were looking for cheap place to stay for 2 nights while we were apt hunting, so we werent' expecting anything fancy.. but this place was not suitable for humans, unless you are a drug addict or prostitute DO NOT STAY HERE. after i gave the cash to the manager he informed me that there is no key for the lock on the door and the locksmith was coming 'in a few hours' to change it. i stupidly believed him, and decided to come back ina few hours after the locksmith came. came back late-- still no lock on door. i demanded room w/ door tht lockd and had a key
i felt like i was in a horror movie. the furniture was falling apart, the drawers of the dresser didnt' open, and the one that did was hollow.. no bottom. cigarette burns all over the furniture AND pillows. bathroom was disgusting. manager told my bf tht people steal the keys all the time nd that' why they are constantly chnging them. i couldnt sleep there knowing that some crackhead could unlock my door at any moment. my car alarm went off twice and the manager pretended he didnt see anything. we left in the middle of the night, couldnt sleep there.. was too afraid for my safety. refused to give us refund for the 2nd night---we had to leave at 3am and drive around to find another hotel. the whole experience was a nightmare and somewhat traumatizing. DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SMOKE CRACK/SHOOT UP/OR [--] A HOOKER. dont believe the pics on their website. they are old and/or fake

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple