WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Miami International Airport Hotel

Miami International Airport Hotel
Ranked #79 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Denver, Colorado
“MIA International Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was skeptical this was going to be a place to rest my head after getting back from Port Au Prince, Haiti. It was delightful. They listened to my request for a quiet room and check in was a breeze. Shower, clean towels, spotless room and king size bed was amazing. Bummed I had to miss the free amazing sit down breakfast the next morning for an early am flight. A few loud baby like kids were running in the hallways around midnight but again---no fault of the hotel whatsoever. Check out was a major breeze as well. They were able to split the bill with no hassle. Except for being a little pricey (hotels on airport site always are...) that is my only criticism. Oh yeah, super quite, never heard a plane once!

Room Tip: When you book online you can make specific requests and I would request a quiet room and being away...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
sf
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

There's a construction mess going on here with reception being dirty and dark. There were loud noises (not sure if it was from the HVAC system or what) that repeatedly woke me.

I checked in as a day room with the expectation that I would relax, nap, and kill about 10 hours. Fully half or more of the TV channels were not working (including all of the sports channels, during March Madness). I called down to reception and they were rude and said there wasn't anything to be done. I asked for maintenance to check it out, and a half hour later he arrived, only to say he didn't know what was going on but all of the sudden they started scrambling signals on a number of the channels. He said he'd go down and check out something at the desk and return -- but he never came back nor called me.

When I complained at check out and asked specifically for an accommodation on the rate, I was told no. I informed them that this day room was for relaxation, napping, and watching March Madness, and that I wasn't asking for a free room or anything, just an accommodation on the rate. He said, "What would we do if we gave money back to everyone who complained?"

I ordered room service (burger and fries) which was decent, with an OK price (of about $14 inclusive of tip and fees).

UPDATE: 5 DAYS AFTER MY INITIAL REVIEW: Management contacted me and apologized and promised follow-up; provided accommodation on room rate. I hope that the promised follow-up with staff and "fixing" of problems (e.g., DirecTV, etc.) are actually done.

Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Had to stay here on the way back from out vacation, the keys didn't work, and when I went down there were others with the same problem. Once in our room I thought it smelled of smoke, maybe it's just there as this hotel look like it's from the 60's. We tried to eat on the 7th floor, it was so out dated I thought Elvis would be playing there. After sitting at the table staring at the overpriced limited menu, we left since no one bothered to take our order. Maybe all the construction will help? But it won't help the bad service. I will never stay here again!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank George W
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This property is very convenient for a stay over in Miami. We fly in around 7 p.m. and are checked in and having a nice glass of wine by 8. In the morning we go check our luggage at American, then go back and have breakfast, freshen up, and check out. Through security and out of there for a 9 a.m. flight. Piece of cake.
In all of my experiences, the staff has been pleasant, professional, and accommodating. The rooms have always been clean and well kept.
As for being at an airport, I've always thought the rooms were pretty quiet.
All in all, its just so convenient. If I have to stay in Miami for one night, my money's on the Miami Airport Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Peoria, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here before an early morning flight the next day. The best thing about this hotel is the location, especially if you do not want to transport your bags out of the airport in preparation for your next departure. The rooms and beds are tired. The bathroom was not clean and the carpet had stains. The alarm clock did not work (in an airport???) and this was inconvenient. We did have the complimentary breakfast which was average but appreciated. We were happy that we did not have to pay the $15 per person for it. There is some remodeling going on and, hopefully, this will make this tired place fresh and inviting...at the prices that are charged, it needs it!

Room Tip: there are no good rooms, all small and our room looked out at a building
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here coming from Jamaica. We had a small moment where we couldn't find it but turned around & there it was! There's no signage. It was not but a short walk away from the baggage claim. Construction is obvious, but the beautiful overhanging in stained glass art in the "lobby" made up for it. No lines. At the front desk, a bit of confusion between the staff (2 guys & a woman) on who would help us. The guy that ended up helping us was even nice enough to speak another language in a personal conversation/laugh amongst each other while helping us--looked to be one of the guys flirting w/the woman employee--very unprofessional when he should've been informing us of the elevator location or our amenities, maybe asking us if we had any questions?? He failed to inform us to keep the WiFi sheet they give you w/the codes--once you leave the hotel you can utilize it while you wait for your next flight!! The codes change everyday.
Anyway, we discovered the elevator. Stayed on the 5th floor in a queen room. It's small, but first impression was wondering where all of the terrible reviews came from? The room had a nice contemporary-mod look & feel. We had a great view of the airport looking out over the city. The flat screen was awesome but needs more channels. It was the beginning of March Madness & the ESPN stations were missing!! The bed was very comfortable, so comfy that once we laid down, we stayed there watching basketball until we fell asleep. Slept like babies too. There was ZERO noise!
The bathroom was small, but it was VERY nice & stylish. Enjoyed the Bath&Body
toiletries & taking a shower w/the rainfall shower head. The shower & sink was either not cleaned or not cleaned enough--there were other ppl's hairs in there, but not a deal breaker.
Again, not sure about the cleanliness as we were looking through the Miami guide for nightlife & there was a sticky substance on top of it while turning the pages...a little gross but we were too tired to care.
The coffee & tea had a nice set-up w/Seattle's Best. We didn't use it but would've if had more
time.
We did not go to the 7th floor for dining but if we are there again we will definitely try it out.
Overall our stay was great! Would've been more content w/a lower room rate. Convenient after long flight & for overnight layover. Check-in simple, overlooked construction, stayed in a great room & left with no issue. Thanks Miami Intl. Hotel for the pleasant stay while in the midst of improving!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Rdaley10
St. John, VI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I flew in evening and overnighted leaving next morning early thus the decision to stay at the airport hotel.

Incredibly convenient, staff friendly, rooms very dated and middle of the road. Mattress was very middle of the road and old and not very comfortable. Mind you, I have been spoiled by Marriott, Hyatt, and Westin beds -- this mattress was the discount brand probably bought in bulk for $50/ mattress.

My stay was 'adequate'. Food at their restaurant very mediocre. Rooms small, basic, and okay.
I would stay there again for the convenience but I cannot believe that Miami International Airport, a major International Gateway, would allow such a mediocre 2 star property to do business as they do, and not demand they either clean up their act, or give the concession to a Marriott, Hyatt, or Westin, etc.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel
Courtyard Miami Airport
Courtyard Miami Airport
#32 of 124 in Miami
Element Miami International Airport

Been to Miami International Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!