“Don't even consider staying here.”

La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North
Ranked #70 of 122 Hotels in Miami
decorah, ia
“Don't even consider staying here.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Room & bathroom not clean. Toilet didn't flush. One person on duty at check in, with a crowd of people, took 35 minutes. The advertised shuttle was available, just no driver. We called several
times from the airport & were assured they would be right there-- after an hour we took a cab.
We were assured that the 5 AM shuttle to the airport next morning would be no problem. Same story in the morning......I counted 22 people waiting for the shuttle........shuttle was parked there &
no driver available... Called a cab again... In short= a mismanaged dump.....

Room Tip: Go elsewhere---- there are several properties in the area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ben45111
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thanks for taking a moment to review our La Quinta Inn Miami - Airport North. We apologize about the issues you experienced. We will absolutely be working with our entire team to work out a better plan for managing our shuttle service. There is nothing more frustrating than expecting to have a ride to or from somewhere and it not be available. We will work to improve our service. We appreciate your feedback and hope we can entice you back to La Quinta Inns & Suites once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Georgia,USA
Reviewed January 1, 2014

First I know it was a special holiday but it was too expensive, the rooms were OK. Breakfast begin from 0600 to 0900 Myself and my brother in law went to the lobby about 0845 and the lobby was full and no food left. The management since like they don't care about the service, I ask the front desk person and she told me that since it was 0845 they didn't have anymore food. The surrounds were dirty and they close the gates around so you had to drive to the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: no tip just don't use this hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thanks for posting your feedback about your stay at our La Quinta Inn Miami - Airport North. We're sorry about the experiences you encountered during your time with us. We'll definitely be checking further into why our team did not have breakfast offerings out at 8:45am, and we're sorry you missed out on our Bright Side Breakfast! We'll also ensure our Maintenance team is shown your comments. We use feedback such as yours to action items at our hotel. Thanks again for giving us your comments and we hope you'll once again choose La Quinta Inns & Suites as your lodging choice.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Don't know why I had it in my head when I made the reservation that this place was going to be alot nicer than it was, maybe the $140.00 price tag per nite per room and somebodies poor review. In town for work and booked two rooms and assured my work mate that the place was nice. Wow was I embarassed!! The place definately needs major renovations. There were sloppy repairs in bathroom where there were leaks in room, stains on wall, carpet dreary, beds looked sloppily made and were nothing special, air conditioner was hanging off wall and cracked , (it did work though), carpet by bathroom was wet. Not bad if the place went for $40.00 a nite but it didn't. Bfst was there, nothing to rave about, and alot poorer than at other La Quinta's. I must say though that the front desk staff was very nice and helpful, only redeeming quality to our stay. Got me once but won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank cfcop
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
We’ve read your recent review of the La Quinta Inn Miami - Airport North. This is certainly not the expectation we have for our guests when they stay at La Quinta. We’re disappointed that our cleanliness standards were not followed, and will pass along your feedback to our Housekeeping team. We’re sorry that both you and your guest had such negative experiences, and we appreciate you taking the time to write us. We hope you’ll give La Quinta Inns & Suites another chance to be your hosts when you travel.
florida
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here because we had an early mornign flight. We should have slept in the car. The place was old, dirty noisy. The bed was uncomfortable and the staff was not helpful or friendly. Avoid the dump.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank papasquid
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
We’ve read your review of your recent stay at the La Quinta Inn Miami – Airport North. Your experience is definitely not the experience we hope our guests have at any La Quinta! We understand your frustration and thank you for sharing your comments. We’ll be passing along your comments to both our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams as we take all feedback we receive and use that feedback to improve our operation. We hope to see you back at La Quinta Inns & Suites again soon.
Key West, Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I wish I had read reviews before staying here! Initially the room appeared outdated and we noticed it smelled of a strange "cleaning solution". When I made reservations we requested a crib for our baby, it arrived after we checked in with 2 sheets thrown on top of a dirty mattress. We should have left right then. Unfortunately it was late, and we were worried about trying to find another hotel nearby with a crib. I washed the entire metal crib w soapy water and the crib mattress twice, luckily I had brought clean crib sheets and a topper. At 11 pm I noticed my husbands feet were black from the carpet! Again we considered leaving, but Its not a great neighborhood to pack up an infant and search for another hotel. We covered the carpet with the extra sheets and towels,and made walking trails. I had lysol wipes and began frantically trying to clean the desk and then we piled all our belongings on to it. We sanitized the sink and everything we had to touch. We both showered (luke warm water only)and I still felt contaminated by the disgusting room. The bathroom floor is warped wood, and the walls have stains. Through out the night the room seemed to take on a new smell of stank feet and cigarettes. I could go on forever! DONT STAY THERE! bottom line. The worst part was waking in the morning to a painful sore throat. I have never experienced anything like it. I thought maybe it was a bad cold starting, but then my husband woke up and said he could barely swallow his throat hurt so much. Immediately my husband turned off the AC unit and I heard him say we need to go now! The AC has mold on it!! I ran to my baby and scooped him up and began gathering our things. I was terrified for him. If my husband and I felt that terrible what did it do to our baby and his tiny lungs. I felt like crying, I was so mad at myself for not leaving sooner. We packed quickly and left immediately, and as the day went by our throats felt better. About 12 hrs later the pain was completely gone. Proving it was the AC unit spewing toxic mold on my family. This hotel needs to be shut down!! Seriously considering contacting the health department and asking them to investigate what made us sick.. Please do not stay here especially if you have children, it was a nightmare and not worth risking their safety!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments regarding your recent experiences at the La Quinta Inn Miami - Airport North. We're sorry about the issues you had during your stay, and know we'll be sharing your feedback with our Maintenance staff to immediately check the air conditioning units. We'll also be passing along what you've shared with our Housekeeping team as we're always looking for ways to improve. We'd like a chance though to address your concerns with you directly, and hope you’ll contact us at tripadvisor@laquinta.com so we may chat with you further. We're looking forward to hearing from you.
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Why is it that there are no decent medium-priced hotels in eastern Florida for the transient visitor?
The all are seedy, with breakfast offerings in need of a trained dietician. I am disappointed in the lack of adequate help that speaks good English, and always having to telephone for airport pickup
from this chain.

Room Tip: Ask for front room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aszu
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Allow me to get the good out of the way:

There is a free airport shuttle and our driver was excellent- very courteous and polite. (That's all for the good.)

After a delightful cruise aboard the Royal Caribbean, we decided to get a hotel overnight as our flight was changed for a 615a departure the following day. We called numerous hotels near the airport (and even the hotel inside of MIA) only to be told there were no vacancies due to the occurrence of the Miami Grand Auto Show. A quick search online gave us the number to LaQuinta Inn Miami Airport North. The clerk told us there was only one double occupancy room left so we quickly made the reservation. She also was quick to dispatch the shuttle (as we was currently en route to drop off guests).

We were given room 233 upon check-in. The clerk advised that we come downstairs the next morning and she would immediately hail the shuttle to take us to the airport. We walked past the pool and up the stairs (as all of the rooms are outside and the elevator was farther than our room) to get to our room. There was a weird smell when we opened the door, but we couldn't tell if it was mold, mildew, or cleaning solutions. The carpet was also stained throughout the room. Nonetheless, we dropped our bags and headed back to find something to eat. [FYI: there is a Wendy's, McDonald's, and a strip mall with both Peruvian and Chinese restaurants.] After eating we came back to the room and that's when we saw the disaster for what it was. I went into the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain to reveal the filthiest tub I've ever seen at a hotel. (Note: we showered in our flip flops.) The bathroom was just a mess-- even the toilet paper had green mold on it. (Luckily there was an unopened roll behind the toilet.) While I was in the bathroom, I heard a shriek. My cousin pulled back the covers to take a nap and there were black flecks all over the sheets. I told her to move over to my bed and we'd just sleep on top of the covers (and on top of the unused towels). In the midst of picking up our bags and moving them to higher ground (as the floor and bed could no longer be trusted) we noticed little ants creeping along the corners of the nightstand [some of which appeared to fly]. I was enraged with the conditions. I called downstairs to tell them of our horrors and the clerk was very nonchalant about the entire thing. She offered no apologies but did offer to move us the following night. I reminded her that this was only an overnight stay. She then had the bright idea (sarcasm) to send up another hotel employee with bug spray. I told her that was not the best idea as we'd be left to inhale the fumes. About 10min after I hung up, we heard a knock on the door. It was a male employee holding a can of spray. I grabbed the spray and I quickly noticed that is was an odor eliminator. I asked the employee the purpose of the spray and he stated, "it works for everything." I declined his offer and shut the door. We slept in the fetal position on top of the bedspread and towels that night- the most uncomfortable ever.

The next morning, we ran downstairs to check-out and catch the shuttle as we were all to anxious to leave the hotel. We asked the clerk to dispatch the shuttle and she told us that we would have to wait until 6a. When we told her the info we had been given the previous afternoon, she informed us that the shuttle only runs every hour on the hour. (The time was 5:04a, meaning we had just missed the 5a shuttle.) We told her of our flight time (615a) and she looked at us dazed and confused. We then asked her to hail a cab, which came quickly, and we were on our way.

This was my first (and definitely my last) stay at a La Quinta property. I went onto the company's Facebook page to express my disappointment and I am still awaiting a response from corporate. I didn't expect Waldorf-type conditions for $180/night (with taxes and fees) but I did not expect to stay at Chilligan's Island either.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank JoClayB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport West
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East
Quality Inn Miami Airport
Ramada Miami Springs/Miami International Airport
Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral
Homewood Suites Miami-Airport West

Been to La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!