“Shame on you LQ!” 1 of 5 bubbles

La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North
Ranked #69 of 121 Hotels in Miami
“Shame on you LQ!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel months in advance of our cruise. I was initially booked at another LQ but had been told I needed to switch to this location when i notified them that my daughter decided to join us and we needed a roll away. I again made this known months in advance and they assured me that all 5 of us would be accommodated and a roll away bed was guaranteed. These arrangements were made through the reservation line and I was also told we would be shuttled to the port for $30.00 for our group and have 7 days free parking. I called weeks before our arrival to see if we could get return shuttle service and confirmed our price with this hotel directly. I was told that the shuttle to the port was not as the reservation line told me but instead was $10.00 per person. The man I spoke with was not friendly at all.

When our family arrived to this location after driving down for 2 days we were turned away because we had 5 people despite the fact that I made the reservation for 5 with a roll away. The lady at the front desk was rude & coldly said they don't guarantee you will get a roll away and we couldn't be accommodated. So my husband, our 3 kids & I were in Miami with no place to stay. Not knowing the area we started calling hotels and were having no luck finding a room for 5. Thankfully we found a hotel.

My impression of this particular location was not too good but it would have made due if they would have honored the reservation I had made with them. After the way the reservation line misled me, even after I notified them of the 5th person and they transferred me to this location based on that, the misrepresentation of the shuttle cost, the rude staff at the desk and how they nearly turned my vacation into a disaster and would have if I hadn't found another hotel I will never stay at a La Quinta again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn Miami Airport North for one night. It was a fair place to stay, but had some silly flaws. Our toilet seat was cracked. Never had seen that before at a hotel! Another small "gripe" was the continental breakfast arrangement. The eating area was very small and people were EVERYWHERE! We looked like cattle trying to get our last meal in life! The staff was friendly, though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed 4 nights end of November. Room in the rear building facing the back...thought it would be quiet but it was just the opposite, every night between 4 and 5 am a dumpster passes waking all patrons. No desk in the room to sit and work. Breakfast is supposed to be included but it's a joke. Good thing a Denny's is just next door. Will go to the Hilton suites opposite next time.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank NRJ_68
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very good value for the money and close to ammenities. Service was good for the most part. I would recommend this Inn while staying in Miami. Close to the airport and free shuttle is offered. Morning continental breakfast is offered included with the price of the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Once again, we stayed at this hotel and as always were so impressed by the great service, friendly, helpful employee, and overall facilities. Shuttle pick-up from MIA was prompt, drop-off early next morning on time. Clean rooms, comfortable bed. Convenient location with lots of eating choices next door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Orange, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Friendly helpful staff and clean room pool, and all common areas. Great little hot free breakfast. Each staff member was willing to assist in our stay. Thanks crew. Would definetly return. Looks kid friendly as we saw many children in the pool area but at night the jacuzzi hit the spot after walking the beach all day.

Room Tip: Top floor is for smoking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josiemontanak
oxford UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I arrived to Miami airport at about 10pm after a long set of flights from London. I booked this through hotels.com and the printout said there was a 24 hour airport shuttle, but to call to book. So I had called to book a few hours before I arrived, but I was told just to call when I was at MIA. Once I got to MIA, I called and was informed that actually the shuttle is only once per hour. They said one was on the way. It was about 25 minutes before it showed up, and I did notice that other hotel shuttled made various rounds during that time. Also, there is another La Quinta at MIA (East) and I suspect some of the reviews on this page are about that one. We passed La Quinta East on the way to La Quinta North and East is much closer to the airport and next to a Benagins, which one of these reviews mentions. This hotel is a solid 10 minutes away from the airport area. It is actually about a block away from a large Dade County Jail. The neighborhood is safe but does not offer much - a strip mall with a pawn shop, a bail place, and a gun store as well as a McDonalds and Dennys right next door. The Dennys is nice and has free wifi. When I arrived to the hotel at almost 11pm, it was chaotic. I was surprised to see a security guard in the lobby. This and passing the jail did not exactly put me at ease. The room I was given was one of the buildings at the back of the hotel across the parking lot. This was not a pleasant place to be wandering around as a single woman traveler at night with large bags. It turned out my room was smoking even though I asked for non, so I called to change it. The change was not smooth - I ended up just walking down to get the key after waiting and having no one arrive. The nonsmoking room I moved to was fine. Clean and no complaints. The wifi was great. The next day was like a new experience - staff at the front super helpful, it was a great place to print things I needed. I think this was just not a great place to arrive at night. I think something closer to the airport zone would have been better, though the day staff were fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business