“Nothing special”

Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area
Ranked #65 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here on our way to Peru because it had an airport shuttle. This turned out to be a hotel quite far from the airport and we would not recommend staying here for that purpose. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the hotel after waiting 1 hour for a shuttle to appear at the airport. The hotel is run down and needs refurbishing. The breakfast buffet was not too bad. We could not utilize the airport shuttle to return to the airport as it doesn't start running until 6am ( we had to get a taxi at 3 am which cost $25.). We would recommend staying right at the airport even if it cost slightly more - just for the convenience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HIExpressDoral, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for sharing your opinion about the hotel.We apologize for the inconvenience the shuttle and location may have caused you.We hope you give our brand another chance when it comes to your lodging needs.Once again we thank you for your review and will use this to better improve our service.

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm writing this review because when I came in to the hotel no one greeted us, when I showed that I had a pre payed voucher for my stay, it seemed like the guy in the front desk didn't knew what Do and that was exactly what happened, when I tried to check out, to my surprise the guy at the reception had charge me for the night even when I had already paid the nigh via a travel agency. If I didn't notice that I'd had been charge double for my stay at a average hotel. It's important to say that the lady that was I. The reception next day apologized and fixed the error but, what if I hadn't noticed? So be careful of the guy at night shift, he doesn't know his job.

• Stayed: November 2012

On behalf of the staff here at our property we thank you for sharing your experience with us and others. We care what people say and we review all reviews to point out our weaknesses and strengths. We take all the information provided by our guest and plan ways we can better our service. We apologize for the incident you experienced and sorry for the miscommunication your encountered.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The wife and I stayed here after a Caribbean cruise in February 2012 that docked on Saturday, but we wanted to spend the afternoon at the beach before heading home the next morning. The property was in good shape, the room nicely made-up and smelled clean. However, this property was not near much other than the airport and chain restaurants.

Check-In
Checking in was a breeze, as seems to have become the standard when I travel (only very rarely do I have issues checking in nowadays). The gentleman at the front desk was courteous, pointed out the amenities available and helped with dinner recommendations.

Room
As stated above, the room was neat and organized. We had a simple room, which was all we needed since we were in it for less than 10 hours. Clean and simple - no complaints.

Pool
We did not use the pool, but walked through the pool area and it seemed very nice for a Holiday Inn (usually you'd expect to see a simple rectangular pool, but this one had a unique shape and plenty of tables and chairs around for lounging and watching your kids play).

Location
This is my one complaint. The area of Doral is on the northwest corner of Miami, with the airport to the south and the Everglades to the west. We wanted to have some local food while we were in Miami (no chain restaurants), but after asking the front desk staff and driving around the Doral area for over an hour looking for something unique, we settled on Red Lobster (exactly what we didn't want). Don't get me wrong - there are plenty of food options around, but they were all chains.

Summary
If you're looking for a quick overnight stay near the airport and are not looking for local cuisine, look no further. This Holiday Inn will meet your needs just fine!

Room Tip: Realize that you are near the airport. We didn't request any specific room, and had no problems...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
HIExpressDoral, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your review and we are glad you had a satisfied stay.We apologize that the local food options are limited but due to the area and businesses around here the chains decided to take over.We look forward to your next Miami visit were we can recommend you some local restaurants that are with a 3 mile radius.We thank you for your loyalty and feedback.We take these reviews and share them with our staff to let them know that we are in the right path.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Excellent stay at this hotel, most welcoming staff. Stayed here with my husband and baby and the service was excellent, breakfast was well prepared. Room was clean and comfortable, great location for shopping!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Maggie55960
HIExpressDoral, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

I would like to thank you on behalf of the staff and myself for your review. Reviews like yours and all other guest whether good or bad let us know we are doing our job and help us improve in any way possible.We look forward to serving you for a future Miami stay.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The walls and the rugs were the first thing I noticed in my room and the hallways. They were really old. They looked as if they hadn't been updated since the early 90's if not earlier. The comforter was so thin and super cheap. I thought all Holiday Inn hotels upgraded to the nice down comforters and the new clean remote controls. I guess not. I stay at HI hotels at least 10 times a year for business. This time was leisure and it was in the top 3 for the worst HI hotels I've stayed in the 5 years I've been using them on a regular basis. There was no microwave in the room either. Luckily we didn't need one since we were only there for one night before boarding our cruise ship. Also, the breakfast was horrible. The eggs tasted just like powder (according to one of my friends traveling with me.), and there was no breakfast meat served at all. The orange juice tasted more like orange drink with a lot of water in it. I decided to eat a banana and hold off until lunch on the cruise ship. Lastly, we booked the sail away package where you leave your car at the hotel for your cruise vacation and a shuttle takes you to the port. The shuttle from the hotel to the port was scheduled for 11am. I asked ahead of time to have that time moved up because that time was completely unacceptable. This was my sixth cruise and we're usually on the ship or just boarding at that time. We didn't want to be just leaving the hotel. The shuttle wanted a private fare to change the time. We decided to schedule our own taxi to leave the hotel at 0830, which was cheaper for 4 people. This hotel is definitely on my "no go" list for our 2013 cruise. On a good note, our car was intact when we returned after 7 days.

Room Tip: Remember your hotel's address. This is one of three HI hotels that I saw on the same street. I a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QueenTaz
HIExpressDoral, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your experience with the Holiday Inn Express Miami - Doral, FL. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced may have caused you.I would like to inform you that we have taken the appropriate measures to improve our hotel appearance and are actually renovating the interior of the hotel.We do apologize for not being able to serve you on your transportation to the cruise. We would like to inform you that we work with an outside company that runs only on the appropriate scheduled times.Any times scheduled outside of the normal hours conclude in a regular rate.Rate does vary because we have a contract price only during those times. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a nice and not too expensive hotel in Miami, this is a good option. Big parking lot, free breakfast, free wifi and really clean. If you are here for shopping it's close to the dolphin and the International mall, just get there early, dolphin is huge and can get dificult to find a parking space.

1  Thank Thomas L

Thank you for your review.We are grateful to know that we are doing a great job at making our guest feel at home and look forward to your next Miami visit.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We booked 2 rooms for my family throght priceline which included the rooms, breakfast, garage parking, wifi, and breakfast. The hotel is in a reasonable condition. Cleanliness is ok, the staff at the front desk are not helpful, Beds comfortable. What we did not like is that we arrived from a ten days cruise with a lot of staf and the hotel doesn't have a storage room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ayal r

we thank you for taking the chance to share your thoughts with us.We have taken this feedback and shared it with our department heads.We will use the tools to improve the bad and take the good to better ourselves as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport East
Comfort Suites Miami / Kendall
3 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Miami Dolphin Mall
Holiday Inn Miami - Doral Area
5 mi away
Element Miami International Airport
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami West/FL Turnpike

Been to Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area? Share your experiences!