“Great hotel for the unbeatable price” 4 of 5 stars

PULLMAN Miami Airport hotel
Ranked #34 of 119 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel for the unbeatable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed here overnight during our layover for a flight. For the price we paid, this was a very nice hotel with great staff. Very trendy look inside the hotel and great views from our window.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Nashvillle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

As my late night flight home was cancelled after an interational flight, I stayed at the Sofitel to catch the first one home the next morning. The courtesy van driver was quite helpful and friendly and I appreciated the bottle of cold water on the drive to the hotel. Again, the front staff was also friendly.

I was somewhat disappointed in the rooms, not from the size or appearance but from the bed. As I was staying in a double, each bed had two small pillows stacked up on top of each other. Even with 4 available pillows, my sleep was not good. As other reviewers have mentioned, the time to change the mattresses is probably iminent.

The location is good for an overnight when flying in or out of Miami.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise L
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The rooms and the restaurant perfects. The fitness room great! Vinicius from Brazil.

• Stayed January 2011
Rochester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

We stayed from boxing day til new year for a pre-cruise holiday, and booked the sofitel because of the great price we saw online and thought it a good location to use as a base to explore southern Florida.

We were given room 1506, a large sized room overlooking the airport and lakes to the front of the hotel. Excellent size bed which was also very comfortable. Large t.v with plenty of channels to choose from, and the bathroom was very modern with a good shower. The room was on the top floor so consequently we has an amazing view of all the hundreds of different firework displays in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Reception staff were very helpful but have this French vibe going on which I didn't quite understand. The reception is nicely decorated, but the elevators are ancient, and it was sometimes frustrating having to wait up to 10 minutes for one to come.

The bar was overpriced so we only used it twice, the same food served in the bar is available on room service which we has a couple of times. Food again was expensive but very good.

The pool area to the rear was really nicely kept and is a real sun trap. The hotel is very near to the airport (quite interesting to watch the planes take off and land) but we didn't really notice any noise.

There is a supermarket and a laundry nearby as well as some fast food places. If you hire a car it's very easy to get to the main roads from the hotel. The hotel does a free shuttle to and from the airport ( flag the sofitel bus down outside the Entrance to 'Departures'), and also a pay shuttle to Dolphin Mall and Miami Port.

Don't understand why the parking is so expensive. Don't know the wifi is so expensive either. We preferred the Intercontinental where we've stayed before but that was overpriced this time, but I didn't mind the area and would consider the Sofitel again if we got the same good rate. Now if someone could explain the French thing to me...........

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank geosu
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

If you are used to other properties under the name Sofitel, you will be surprised by this place. It is not in the same league: it's more along the lines of a Holiday Inn Express or a freeway motor hotel.

First, the room (a mini-suite with a living room and separate bedroom). The decoration is very stark and not at all "nice" or "elegant" (I usually don't even pay attention to these things, but this room stood out). The room we were given had a picture on the floor that had fallen off, which immediately demonstrated that we were in a low-caliber establishment). For a suite, this room was very small.

Second, the bathtub filler didn't work and kept bouncing back to shower mode (we wanted a bath for our child, not a shower).

Third, the phones didn't really work correctly in that after 15 minutes of calling room service and getting a busy signal, I finally called the front desk to ask what was wrong, and they simply connected me right away. I guess they do this to slow down people's use of room service? No idea. It was super-annoying.

Next, when I did order room service, the food finally came after about 30 minutes and part of my order was wrong. I called room service (again, using the front desk as a switchboard, not the little button on the phone) and explained. 30 later minutes and I had the last entree. It was luke-warm.

The food was "decent" but not great. The prices were typically high for a high-end hotel which this is not.

The location is close to the airport, although still a 15 minute jaunt around it. The noise from the airport is bad as the property is not far enough away from the runway yet is not "super-insulated" like some hotels right on the tarmac. It's the worst of both worlds--you hear low rumbling all night long.

If you don't pay very much (viz. get some kind of discount) and don't expect anything fancy, this hotel might work for you, but it's certainly not a Sofitel like others I've visited. I won't be taking any chances with any of the others anymore either.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank FamilyXTraveler
SofitelMiami, General Manager at PULLMAN Miami Airport hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear loyal Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Miami. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for. I am truly sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations and can assure you that we have already taken the necessary measures with our Director of Engineering and Room Service Manager in order to prevent any future occurrence.

We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Sofitel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance. We hope to be able to regain your trust in the brand.

Best regards,

Balendra Nagesvaran
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights, because we did not want to stay in South Beach. The lobby of the hotel is very nice but the rest of the hotel did not live up to expectations. Our room was okay, however, the bed was uncomfortable because it was too soft and worn in. In our room our toilet was running and would randomly flush, we asked the front desk two nights in a row if they could send up a maintenance person to fix the problem. Finally, on the last night of our stay we ran into a manager in the elevator, we told her of our problem and they finally addressed the problem on the last night of out stay. If not, for the poor service and maintenance, I would say this hotel is probably a three to a three and half star hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisw03
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at Sofitel Miami. I sincerely apologize for the lack of service during your stay. We have immediately addressed the situation with our Director of Engineering.

I would like also to take this opportunity to inform you that all of our mattresses are fitted with a featherbed providing extra softness. This extra layer is easily removable. Please do not hesitate to mention your preference at the time of reservation.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Our entire team stands ready to assist you with any special request you may have.

Balendra Nagesvaran
arlington, texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Wow - that was disappointing. I really thought that the Sofitel was supposed to be a high-end hotel. We stayed one night between flights, and were disappointed. It is a lovely hotel when you enter and gives the appearance of a nice place. The restaurant was a quite a bit overpriced for the food served. Truly, we do not mind paying this much when the food is excellent. But it was just good....hmmmm. Our room was pretty average to what you would find in a business hotel. The one robe which was there for two of us was unwearable, as it was so stiff and prickly. The bath was in need of help, as it was quite worn. The hallway carpet was worn, too. The saddest thing of all was that the mattress had a huge dent in one side. I finally changed places with my hubby, as I could fit into the 'hole' there and he could not. Neither of us slept much. Yes, we should have asked for another room. I don't know if it would have helped, though. I think we will just avoid staying there in the future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple