“Best Hotel in Miami” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Best Hotel in Miami”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

This was my third stay at the Hotel Sofitel in Miami and am never disappointed staying here. My fiance and I traveled with our wedding party (30+ guests) and this hotel (especially the concierge - Andres) were beyond accomodating. First, we booked the group rates so long ago, that once we realized the rates had dropped the week before the event, the hotel had no problems meeting the lower rate, saving all guests $50+ a night, depite a previous contract. We planned a girl's day out to a local salon and the hotel took six of us by shuttle, for free, to a local salon for drop off and pick up, keeping us from having to rent a car. They also have great free shuttles to and from the airport. We also planned a rehearsal dinner at a nearby restaurant, and again, the hotel took all guests (over 30) by shuttle, for free, when we had been quoted elsewhere for over $300. They upgraded our room and my parent's room to suites at no additional charge and at their own discretion. They keep all their rooms clean with the absolute most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The pool area is beautiful, but unfortunately we did not have the best pool weather to swim, but laying out was great. They have a beautiful bar area that is a great central meeting point and fun atmosphere for the after dinner drink. They also have four computers with free internet access and a free printer that always worked. Their staff is above and beyond and they treat every guest as a VIP. They shuttle you to local areas/malls, etc., without a charge. And they never make you wait. We shipped a bunch of wedding stuff ahead of time and they safely held on to our goods and had it delivered to our room within minutes of getting settled. I would only stay at this hotel... and after having traveled the world and stayed in Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons, etc., this is a great bargain hotel with beautiful facilties and the nicest staff possible.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank SJSlesnick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

Being this hotel near the airport, it is ok if you don't need to see only South Beach. A rent a car is a must have, as the only public transport you have is a bus which goes around the airport towards the Dolphin Mall, which is close-by. It is to recommend also if you have a short layover in Miami as they provide a free shuttle to and from the Terminal building. Free internet only on the PCs in the lobby which are a little bit too slow, the swimming pool was ok although we didn't have the chance to enjoy it due to the weather. Parking costs 8$ a day which is not bad for Miami. It's a shame that there was no coffee machine or safe in the room, we were expecting them....but great bed, soft confy and a real nest.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonJack
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

Have you ever seen "Somewhere In Time" and wondered what it would be like to stay in a hotel that used to be beautiful, but now was messy and unkempt, well Sofitel was exactly that.
The building is beautiful, from the front entry, the elevators, the entrance doors and fixtures are all just lovely. The rooms have a great design, expensive furniture and crown mouldings.
But the hotel is a mess. Under the beds aren't vacummed, the bedskirts are sloppy and unironed, the beds are the messiest made I have ever seen, the curtains were stained. We asked for an extra blanket and it had a stain on it the size of my hand. The ledge outside the window was covered in bird droppings. The beds only have a bottom sheet and a duvet cover. Hotel managment clearly just doesn't care anymore.
Parking cost an extra $8, internet (not wireless) cost $10 a day.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

From the moment I enter the hotel you get the feeling you are the most important guest. You are greeted at the door by friendly bellmen and continous through to the front desk area. They are professional and courteous. They can't seem to do enough to make you comfortable and welcomed. Room service was great also...

The hotel was spotless and the rooms were spacious and clean as well.

I highly recommended ...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Chicago Ill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

Where to start! First off when you walk into the lobby and look up at the glass atrium all you see is baked on pigeon droppings! Hasn't been cleaned in god knows how long. Get to the room, look out to see what kind of view I have and all I see is more droppings on the ledge of the window! Leave the room around 2ish and return around 11:30pm thinking the room is going to be nice and chilled, WRONG! It's cooler in the hallway then in the room. Called for a check on the a/c, building matainance came and fixed it but took forever to cool the room. Go to get in the shower looking for a washcloth and much to my surprise there is only 1 washcloth. Pull the stopper on the faucet to get the shower going and the whole faucet comes out of the wall! The hand held wand was a $1.50 piece of plastic that felt like it was going to break. VERY CHEAP! The curtain rod was screwed into the tile which was broken into several pieces and I thought the whole thing was going to fall down while I was taking a shower. The exhuast fan didn't work worth a crap so it took forever to clear out the steam from the bathroom. And I don't know if all Sofitel hotels are like this but the bed thing was very weird. They had no sheet between the comforter and your body. It was the bottom sheet over the matress and a comforter THAT'S IT!

Bottom line this place is horrible!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank chgofireman
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

I wish I had read a few of the negative views on this hotel before I booked my Valentine's Day stay. I had a one night lay over in Miami with my girlfriend, it was close to the airport and the photos on their website show it to be a beautiful hotel. But let me tell you, this hotel was way over priced and in no way lived up to the photos they post on their website. In fact, the photos on their website, especially where the rooms are concerned, are outrageously misleading, bordering on fraud. Yes the restaurant, bar and lobby are well kept, but that is obviously in the hook to get you in the door. Beyond the first two floors, I have a hard time finding one redeeming quality. The rooms are old and outdated from the rugs to the walls to the furniture and don't get me started on the musty smell that pervades the hallways and the guest rooms themselves. Trust me I tried two different rooms and the musty smell in both was terrible. I stayed in a $400 a night suite that reminded me of a cheap motel on the highway in the middle of nowhere! Please take my advice, if you want a nice clean room that doesn't remind you of a seedy motel, find another place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank APR73
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

We stayed here the night before a cruise. If you want somewhere close to the port, this is not your place! It is super close to MIA Airport, but we had to rent a car to get downtown or to South Beach (or the port).

The staff was very helpful and nice. We didn't like the rooms or lobby, but thought the $99 price was good.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple