New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel

Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Great Personality and Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have to say that this hotel is the most unique, clean, organized, and spotless hotel I have been in quite some time. But not only that but you have 2 employees that have had a remarkable impression my sister and I. Starting with a front desk representative named Myriam Eugene. She was extremely sweet, helpful, and a very kind person to the point of going overboard to accommodate us. As well bartenders Christopher Agapay & Especially Miguel Gutierrez they offer the best selection of wine they had at the Hotel as well the food from the restaurant. They also make our stay at the bar so pleasant that we was just going to be there for about a half hour and left the bar after 3 hours . I myself Work in customer service for yrs now and it was a amazing trip for us!!

Thank you so much for having such great and sweet employees.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Like many others, we needed to arrange "bookend" nights in Miami for connections on each end of our international vacation. We chose the Sofitel for the front end and the Sheraton for the back. Both were similarly priced (although the Sofitel was $30 cheaper), close to the airport and have a free shuttle. The Sofitel won the comparison hands-down. Tthe facilities at the Sheraton were not quite as nice (generic lobby, cafeteria style restaurant, dingy beer-soaked sports bar, and musty room), but the major failing of the Sheraton was the poor customer service. Perhaps we should not have stayed during a time when the NBA finals were in progress, but nearly the entire staff was more interested in watching the game than helping customers. We waited for the shuttle for a considerably long-time and then things only got worse. Check-in lines were 8 people deep because only 1-2 people were assisting guests and 2-3 were watching the t.v. behind the counter. The bellhops/concierge staff were also lounging around watching the game with the exception of one individual. He helped us with our many bags and told me the restaurant was open until 10:15 (we had been traveling all day and arrived late, tired and hungry). We briefly settled into our so-called "Starwood Preferred Guest" room and then went downstairs for dinner. We arrived at 10pm and the restaurant staff told us they were closed. Disappointed, we walked back through the lobby and mentioned to the bellhop that previously helped us we thought the restaurant would still be open. He said it should be and went to mention it to someone behind the front desk who looked to be in charge. This person turned away from the t.v. to listen, shrugged his shoulders and told us to go eat in the bar then turned back to the television. Recognizing that the beer-soaked bar packed with basketball fans was no place for my 7-year old daughter we dejectedly returned upstairs. After hunger won over and realizing that this hotel does not have room service, I went back down, waited a very long time to be served and then carried a plate of nachos (there were only 4 items on the bar menu) back to our room. Overall this was a completely unacceptable experience for a respected chain like the Sheraton and we will think twice before staying at their properties elsewhere. We certainly won't return here.

1 Thank ecoaggie
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I want to commend this location for excellence in service. Upon my arrival, I was disappointed with a few staff--Ernesto, Sissi and another young lady on the wait staff for the CPA Conference. As a guest, I was in the Mezzanine Lounge, where there was food prepared for hotel visitors for a conference. I wasn't there to eat the food, but rather to relax while completing some school work. As such, one of the gentleman asked if I was with them at the conference to which I replied no, and he simply asked if I had eaten, and again I replied, no. Well, he then offered me the opportunity to eat with the group and I capitulated for after their time of eating. I was approached by the wait staff and told not to eat the food that they were readily going to throw away. I was livid, and told them that I was invited to eat there, and I'm certain that the hotel staff wasn't suppose to be there eating for that matter. I was approached again later in the day, and just got frustrated with the predjudice. I am a gold member, and it was just out of place to be treated that way.

However, I promised to write for 5 wonderful people who made my stay grand, and they are the most outstanding staff that any resort hotel could employ. They are Scott Goldberg, Allen Crawford(?) Anna--the morning Guest Lounge Host, Jennifer, the Concierge, and Chris the security. I would be remisiced if I failed to mention the young man who works the 2nd Shift--I want to call him, Addi, but that may be wrong--He has a dog, lives in Adventura and cares for the guests on a more personal matter. He came at the very beginning of his shift around 2pm-6pm to always make sure things were okay with me, and I appreciate that. I also believes he works at the Front Desk. He'll know who I'm speaking of. I think this is a great location. It is very clean, quite and quaint. It has the ambiance of luxury hotel, but the softness of affordability and family-friendly atmosphere.
After I experienced the undue treatment from Ernesto--more than once, I was grateful that Scott, Anna, Allen, Chris, Jennifer and the other young man at the Front Desk went out of their way to make me--as the customer, feel warm, welcomed and treated me with the respect that I deserved and, not to mention, paid for. IT IS AN HONOR TO BE ABLE TO SERVE, BUT IT IS AN EVEN GREATER HONOR TO RECEIVE/HAVE GREAT OR EXCEPTIONAL AND OUTSTANDING SERVICE.(Let me know if you'd like to use that quote for an advertisement). Those six individuals provided that type of service. Thank you, and because of them, I'll remain a member and visit again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Friendly staff, good experience, great price it was a good stay:))) def coming back

• Stayed May 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed 5 nights in a Sheraton Miami Airport. We can't say enough about what a wonderful place it is. The last time I saw a bathroom that clean my dearly-departed mother was alive....!

The service is great. One of the desk managers even gave us the hotel phone number and his cell number in case we got lost - they were always courteous and had lots of time for us re: directions, best places to eat, tours. etc.

The location is the best in Miami from a tourist point of view, right in the middle of it all.

We can't wait to return to Miami and of course the Sheraton Miami Airport will be our hotel of choice.

• Stayed June 2011
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Mine was a business trip over 4 nights.
The reviews here are by and large, positive. As a result, did not expect any hiccups.
In hindsight, probably weighing up the comments, people tend to stay for 1 night and often, as distressed passengers via an airline.

Check in was smooth and efficient. Allocated a queen sized room.
The room was large and the bathroom ample.
In terms of fittings, it's a concerete building that Sheraton have added their brand to. It does not bear any resemblance to a city location. In my mind, fitting with a much cheaper brand.

My horror came when I noticed the sheets and pillow cases were not ironed. I pulled back the sheet to find pubic hairs. Clearly the maid service felt the last guest had stayed only a few hours and did not bother to change sheets. At the time I noticed this, it was beyond midnight and I was not in a position to call house keeping nor the front desk.
The following morning I reported this to reception who appeared shocked but made a note of it. When I returned the same evening from my work, I could not guarantee they had been changed since they still did not look freshly ironed.

My second gripe. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport only. This is no different to any of the other airport hotels.
A trip to the mall is $10 with set timings.

Finally, food and beverage.
$22 for a doble vodka?! Seriously ! Get over yourselves. I don't pay that at the Palmer House Hilton!!!
Take a look at the cost of Smirnoff Red in a grocery store. Factor in your buying power, add a reasonable mark up, but $22?!

The dinner buffet. One choice of meat.
What does the pasta go with? Chicken
What does the mashed potato go with? Chicken

A la carte was expensive, but the food enjoyable.

Breakfast : Are you kidding that you charge $3 for coffee and $4 for orange juice?!?!
So : 2 eggs, 1 coffee and 1 juice = $19.00 + 15% service charge + tax = $23.56
So a family of 4 having the same breakfast, staying one night between flights would expect to pay
$94.24
It's an airport hotel !!!!!

I hired a car : Got to/from the malls and opened up a variety of restaurant choices in the vicinity
and no doubt saved - if not necessarily in terms of $ then certainly in terms of freedom and choice.

A friend came to visit me from Tampa. My friend, coming to visit a paying guest was expected to pay $18 parking. Despite contacting the front desk, this was the charge. Coming to visit a paying guest? Yep. If they stay an hour, yep - $18.
I was not going to argue with the front desk, because English is my first language and I don't need someone repeating my question or responding to me like I'm an idiot.

Would I recommend the hotel?
If your airline is picking up the tab for 1 night - Sure. Be mindful of what lurks in your bed.

If it's your choice and your $?
There are other options.

Would I use the Sheraton Group again?
Absolutely. But not this one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ItalGrecoLon
DavidBerger, General Manager at Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel and apologize for your experience. Please know that we do take your feedback to heart and have shared your comments with our housekeeping team to work on ensuring that the deficiency with the bed linen does not recur.

I’m sorry that you were disappointed with our restaurant and parking pricing, however, we do stay competitive with our area hotels.

We do appreciate hearing from our guests no matter what the circumstances and welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay further offline. I may be reached via Email dberger@sheratonmiamiairport.com and directly at (305) 870-8101.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

David Berger
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Selected this hotel for its convenient location during a layover en route to St. Kitts and used Starwood points for a free night. Convenience is about the only thing the hotel has going for it. The front desk staff was less than welcoming, looked bored, didn't smile. The room was a decent size with a nice view of the golf course and downtown Miami. Bathroom was on the small side.

Was planning to catch a movie to kill some time during my layover, but after two calls to the front desk to report that the "menu" button on the remote wasn't responding, they said they'd send someone up to the room. About 15 minutes later, the guy didn't even need to enter the room.....he simply said that their entire system was down and wouldn't be working again for 2 days.

I found a stray hair plastered on the shower wall, and then upon closer inspection, found one on the ceiling. The phone in the room was obviously not cleaned because it smelled from the last occupant's perfume.

Bottom line is that the staff needs better guest service training and better supervisions of room cleaning.

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
We always appreciate hearing from our guests no matter what the circumstances. We do pride ourselves in ensuring an overall memorable experience but it appears that we failed with this visit. I apologize for the lack of hospitality from our staff and the deficiencies in your room. Rest assured that this will be shared with our guest services and operations team for corrective measures. Thank you for sharing your experience and hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you at the Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel.

David Berger