DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Iowa
“Good not great”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband is an honors member so they upgraded us to the executive floor. We had a late flight in & an early flight out. Sleep was priority. The hallways were very loud with adults who obviously had a bit too much to drink & lost volume control, but that can happen anywhere. If the halls had been quiet the rooms would have been completely quiet- no street noise
Pros- exec double room was very large- we blew up an extra air mattress in it & it was still huge
- housekeeping immediately brought extra blankets & sheets when asked
-nice view in room with huge windows
-no problems with cleanliness
-we found towels & linens to be clean & of quality
Negatives- NO FRIDGE OR MICROWAVE. (major negative when traveling as a family)
- Room itself did appear a tiny bit worn down
-not enough drinking cups for 4 people- only 2 glasses in room

Shuttle service was acceptable, but if the hotel is full you may get passed up at the airport at least once & wait another 20 minutes for it to come back. We were lucky to get on because he started passing up people flagging after our pickup. (he did pull over & let them know he was full)
In the morning the driver waited 10 minutes before leaving. Perhaps he was told someone else was coming, but we were starting to get worried

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was recommended by American Airlines site, as I am a well travelled member with them. Anyhow, I was a little skeptical at first. I guess I missed the shuttle bus coming out of the airport. After waiting for a while, I decided to go in and call them and missed the bus again. (it runs every 30 min) Anyhow, when I finally arrived at the hotel, they apologized for the inconvenience, and welcomed me right away. Get this, they give u these WONDERFUL choco chip cookies at check in! The inside of the htoel is awesome! The rooms are amazing! They have shuttles to/from the Dolphin Mall and the Port of Miami for a small fee. Its a short drive into the city and the beaches.Its a change from where I normally stay in SoBe. The room was massive! the bathroom had tons of towels, and a nice size as well. I believe the bed to be a king, either way, it had a million pillows and was extremely comfy! The housekeepers are a little over ambitious (I think we got our first knock around 830am!) Anyhow, she was extremeley nice and came back later. I think this hotel is geared more for the businessman or woman, and its close to the airport. Didnt really care for the room service breakfast, but we would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed at multiple Hilton Hotels but never Double Tree. I'm not sure if it's the location or just the staff but this hotel was disgusting. We had dirty towels, stained pillow cases, blood on a pillow, and dirty toiletries. I called and complained and they casually said they would send some new ones up. They never did and I had to call again. The service at the bar/restaurant was horrible. Unless you were an attractive male you just weren't going to get service. The waitresses acted with contempt in even having to take your order, which still took them 15 minutes to accomplish.
This hotel was disgusting and disappointing. I only stayed here for a business trip and I warn others to pay extra and stay somewhere else. It's just not worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I must admit that I was relatively shocked by your recent review in “Tripadvisor”; when we spoke to you last week you were very pleased that we had contacted you (based on your review in the Hilton system) and when we left the conversation you were looking forward to returning to the hotel as your group had rebooked their next event at our property. Puzzling – as I must tell you we received rave reviews by en large from your group, who were very complimentary regarding the hotel, staff etc. My apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during the course of you stay. I should also like to apologize for any mis-steps in our lounge, Doubleshot Tapas and Burger Bar, which is very popular with our guests and the locals. I regret that your service was delayed and unsatisfactory – normally our guests are quite pleased with the taste sensations they experience there. I have brought both of your Correspondences to the attention of my Rooms and Food & Beverage management team. I am confident that your experience would not be repeated. In closing, we look forward to serving you at your next event, If I may be of any service in the interim, please contact me at 305-260-8912 or via Tferrara@Doubletreemacc.com
Regards,
Tony Ferrara
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for business while in Miami. Here are my overall opinions:

1. They have a paid parking area however on two seperate nights the gate was wide open and had no attendant. I suppose sometimes they charge and sometimes they don't.
2. The bar area was very lively but the service was lacking. Orders were brought out very slowly and mixed up on several occasions
3. The front desk needs better training. Was told there were no rooms available upon checkin only 15 minutes later told the first person was confused.
4. The rooms were very clean and overall nice. Nothing spectacular. Did not like the toilet and bathroom door on top of each other. Very bad positioning

• Stayed February 2013
First I should like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced during the course of your stay. Our goal at the Doubletree is to not only meet but exceed our guest’s expectations. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you while in town for your business travels. While we strive to offer guests the best experience and pride ourselves in our competent staff, we know there is always room for improvement. Your feedback lets us know we need to focus our efforts on consistency in all areas of our operation. I have specifically addressed your concerns with our front office and foodservice outlet team members. We hope that you will return to our hotel when your travels bring you back to the Miami area. We look forward to serving you then –
Regards,
Tony Ferrara
General Manger
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay hear. We found the rooms spacious. The Hotel has a nice outdoor pool with lounge chairs. It's close to the Airport and offers a free shuttle service. There are stores right at this hotel. There also is a shuttle service to Dolphin Mall for a $10.00 roundtrip per person fee. Most important it's clean and well kept. My only complaint is that I used the business centre and the computer had a virus and I had someone get into my yahoo account and steal my identity.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Los Altos, California
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a conveniently located hotel which suffers from service lapses which hold the hotel back from being a really good hotel.

Pros: close to airport, rooms are clean and relatively up to date, decent buffet breakfast starting at 6AM and friendly breakfast staff, a front desk manager (Emile) who tries hard, free night only 30,000 HHonors points, free internet

Cons: airport shuttle service is somewhat unreliable, indifferent/misinformed Hilton HHonors check-in staff, no Doubletree cookie :(

We booked an award night during the week (and requested a quiet room on a high floor) and called the hotel after we arrived at MIA to confirm whether the airport shuttle had left the hotel (it runs every half hour from the hotel). Unfortunately for us, it took almost an hour for the shuttle (which had the words "Doubletree" in somewhat small font) to arrive despite the hotel front desk manager assuring us that the shuttle was "on its way and would arrive in 7 minutes" - while it was raining, it took the van driver only about 10 minutes to make it back to the hotel, so who knows what happened to the shuttle between the hotel and the airport. On the other hand, the shuttle to the airport in the morning left on time and took less than 10 minutes (in dry weather) to get to MIA airport.

I should add that our request for a quiet room on a high floor was honored and that Emile (front desk manager) tried to remedy the shuttle issue by comping the decent buffet breakfast, which was a nice gesture. However, when I asked the front desk staff where breakfast was served, I was directed to the wrong restaurant (Impressions) instead of the correct one (Rioja Grill). Also, I requested (as a Hilton HHonors member) a room upgrade but was told by the woman at the HHonors check-in that it was unavailable, and was not offered the Doubletree cookie at check-in nor was provided an explanation as to why no cookie was forthcoming. Also, while there is a business center and a dedicated station for printing boarding passes on the ground floor, the station was out of commission and all of the business center computers were *really* slow - time to upgrade those systems!

The shuttle mishap, muddled service by the front desk, missing cookie, misdirection for the breakfast buffet, non-functioning boarding pass station, and slow business center computers are small details but these add up.

I would consider staying at the Doubletree if I could get an assurance from Emile that the shuttle and other service issues are addressed.

Room Tip: Join Hilton HHonors and request a room upgrade at check-in