DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
Ranked #65 of 127 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for four days, on my third day i discovered that the toilet was leaking i went down stairs to the front desk to let them know that i had an issue, so I went to the pool side to give them an opportunity to fix the toilet, i went back they told me that the engineer didn't find a problem so i went back up i searched all around the toilet to discover mildew and hair behind the toilet. It was black it was so gross i had to take a photo. The engineer then comes in and tells me that he can fix the leak and will call house keeping to clean the mildew. I felt so gross from all the nights and times i went in there and felt water touching my toes not realizing it was the toilet. The leak had to have been there long before i booked the hotel because the mildew was 'BLACK' it made me feel sick! I couldn't even speak to another person there because I was so upset. They did not take there time to solve my issue they made me feel stupid like i didn't know what I was talking about, then they try to make it better with a lousy $20 food voucher as if I couldn't afford lunch myself! From there I had to pack my bags to be shifted to another room which made me very uncomfortable. I was in my room for an hour with an engineer who didn't take his time to do his job the first time! Big inconvenience! The introduction to the hotel was beautiful the shuttle, the receptionist, the cookies; where i 'was' pleased upon arrival I saw a dead roach in my room and i didn't complain but the mildew was enough!

Room Tip: I wouldn't know what a good room is cause I didn't have one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here for a night, and everything was fine - clean, large and quiet room, very good internet connection, great breakfast, as Hilton Gold member was upgraded to executive floor. Not very friendly staff at check in but effective, everything was prepared so it took a minute only. Wonderful!

Jointed the bar in the evening and ordered some drinks, salt&pepper calamari and bread pudding - yeah, bread puding was something really special - it was such wonderfully prepared, came with orchid bloom on the plate, all I can say is: KUDOS TO THE COOK! It was great! Really great! Thanks for it!

If in Miami again, will stay here!

Room Tip: Executive floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am a 100+ night per year business traveler. I have been traveling to the South Florida area 2-3 weeks per month for the last 18 months. We recently opened a new office in Miami Lakes and the commute from the hotel near our corporate office is horrific. I have been trying new locales and found this gem.

As a Hilton Diamond, I see more and more properties cutting the offering to those of us that spend 1/3 of our year in their beds. This property is the exception!

They still offer a free drink coupon for their bar. They still offer a full free hot buffet or menu item breakfast which was outstanding vs. the scaled back continental version. They still have an executive floor with an executive lounge. In the lounge, you can have breakfast (hot) if you do not feel like going down to the cafe. They also have evening appetizers, peanuts, beer, wine and other beverages.

The staff was great - especially the housekeeping bunch! The fitness center is quite large with free weights, machines and good cardio. They only have 2 treadmills which is light for a hotel of this size and one was not working properly. We will see when I return if they actually act on my mention of it by getting it fixed. There is also an old raquetball court converted to have a basketball hoop in it for a nice change of activities available. The proximity to the airport does promote some jet noise but not bad and did not keep me awake at all.

The outdoor pool was nice, clean and inviting. I frequented it late night after working out and enjoyed it very much!

I could only think of 2 downsides to this property. 1) Parking: It is separate from the hotel and you must pay separately. For those of us doing expense reports, we prefre the itemized charges just on our bill when we are forced to pay for parking. 2) Food in the area: Next to none and nothing within walking distance for those not having a car.

Overall, this is a great airport location and perfect for business travelers to the MIA area. I will definintely be returning. They have earned this Diamond's business!

Room Tip: A high floor facing the airport for anyone that likes airplanes and flying! Great views of large pl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank orr333
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The rooms are good, the lounge is good, the public areas are mostly well maintained. It has a better gym with an eye-tearing disinfectant odor.

So why 3 stars? This is a conference center and yet they torture guests with excruciatingly slow internet. To save another nickel they subscribe to the Dish Network which may as well be an antenna. So not only cannot I not watch the Walking Dead on AMC or Boardwalk Empire on HBO I cannot download them either.

A lesser irk, but one felt nonetheless is they reserve the best parking spaces (paid parking) for SUVs and vans.

Bah!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
tony f, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed our comfortable rooms and lounge area. We will surely make a note about the amount of disinfectant we’re using. We appreciate your feedback on the speed of our internet service and television programs offered at our hotel. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and are currently addressing these issues with our service providers and reviewing our options. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we hope you’ll consider staying with us again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

After having been delayed for over an hour in Boston on an American Airlines flight due to labor issues with the pilots, we missed our connection. After being provided with some very poor travel options such as fly back to New York for an overnight stay and a JetBlue flight to Aruba the next morning, we were offered a choice to stay over night and fly out the next day. We were sent to the Doubletree to stay. Upon arrival and check in I provided my Hilton Honors number and immediately up graded to the executive floor. The room was clean and bright. There was also a lounge that had a buffet with hot and cold selections along with beverages and deserts. My wife and I wanting a bit more ordered from room service. We ordered two sandwiches and salads. The order arrived very quickly and was more than we expected from a room service meal. The salads were large, fresh and crisp. The sandwiches were polled sky high. What was even better is the whole meal tip to taxes was about $40.00! Upon retiring we enjoyed a king sized bed which was firm but like sleeping on air. The next morning we went to the breakfast buffet downstairs that was absolutely delicious for about $15.00 a person. With had a real gentleman by the name of Wayne who couldn't do enough for us as we enjoyed our meal. After all was said and done the real stars here are the staff. From check in to a late check out the people at this hotel were warm, inviting and ever so helpful making a ever so bad situation into an enjoyable experience. I can state without reservation stay at this location again and would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone thinking of staying here. To the staff at the Doubletree you are absolutely the best at what you do! Thank you again for your hospitality.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

After reading some reviews on tripadvisor I was quite alarmed before heading over to Miami and staying here. I was travelling for work and had a convention here so there was no changing the accommodation! Was pleasantly surprised with the hotel! Great rooms, decent sized with good faciltiies throughout hotel including shops , restaurants etc. Hotel staff were all extremely friendly and I would CERTAINLY recommend this hotel to business travellers, solos, or families looking for somewhere close and convienant.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here one night on my way home from MVD. The hotel is clean, modern and comfortable. About 10 minutes from the airport. Not really made for a vacation hotel but great for business travel. If your business is being held close by I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business