“Don't, just don't stay here”

DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
Ranked #61 of 123 Hotels in Miami
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Don't, just don't stay here”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The slowest in-room wi-fi in existence means frustration trying to connect to the internet and access e-mails. But the staff in reception seemed to know all about this and simply shrugged their shoulders. It's just the way it is at Doubletree by Hilton.
It's difficult to get a taxi and because of the hotel's inaccessible location if you can't escape you're stuck with just one restaurant and a pub.At 7pm I waited 25 minutes for a taxi,then abandoned it and ordered room service. I was told my order would take 35 minutes to arrive but it arrived just short of an hour later.
The hotel offers a shuttle service from the airport. I waited 50 minutes for it, made two calls and each time was told it was on its way and would be there in 5-10 minutes. A colleague, arriving a day later, had an even worse experience waiting over an hour and called the hotel three times.
At least the housekeeping staff are pleasant, efficient and courteous. They certainly care more than the bell captain or front of house staff but if the hotel continues to deliver such appalling service they won't have too many rooms to tidy up in future.
There certainly are better hotels to stay at.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Mcalibo, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2011
Thank you for insight and review. Your concerns are being addressed as we speak.
Wi-Fi is being upgraded to Stay- Connected one of the best in the industry. Our property is currently being out-fitted which may or did affect your usage and for this we apologize profusely. This is the way it is and we are taking measures to make this an immediate change on all levels of our hotel.
It was noted about your room service delivery times and we are taking measures to avoid room service overload. Your convention was very well attended (sold out). Many exhibitors were tired as this conference had many attendees, and chose to order in. We now have peak ordering training so we can maneuver additional staff in place when rooms service is overwhelmed with orders.
The shuttle service is now going to be a fleet.. we will have an operating level of two 24 pax shuttles and a 15 pax van. In addition, we are working with MIA as is all airport shuttles to improve pick up service since MIA recent renovation and TSA requirements can delay pick times. All shuttles are in motion at all times , some delays experienced may not be fully attributed to the hotel but traffic, airport congestion, etc. To monitor the situation, all drivers have been equipped with cell phones to give accurate location and pick up times to our property operators.
Your concerns are our top priorities, thank you for communication

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband, myself and our young son stayed in this hotel for 2 nights prior to flying home. The circumstances of our stay were not good, as my son was recuperating from a serious illness. However, the Doubletree was just what the doctor ordered. We enjoyed the spacious, quiet room, terrific (and reasonably priced) room service both nights, the shuttle bus and the pool. After spending a week sleeping on a reclining chair in the hospital, the king sized bed was heaven. The hotel provided a nice travel crib for my son, and the room was clean and spacious enough to allow him to play comfortably on the floor. I used the shuttle bus to head into town to a drugstore where I was able to purchase some snacks and drinks. We also used the shuttle to get to the airport. All in all, it was a terrific end to a scary trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your sincere review. We look forward to your next stay here in Miami and hopefully under more happy healthy circumstances.
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Not impressed as before. For starters renovations being done and wasn't inform prior to making reservations. I have stayed here maybe close to five times. Staff was just average. The bar staff was wonderful and food was tasty. The rooms are modern but the viewing of quite of number of channels kept dropping, which was most annoying. The most awful experience is that the internet connection kept dropping in the room, so I was forced to sit downstairs to get some decent service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review... I apologize for not delivering you a Wow stay. I mean that with all sincerity. You wi-fi experience will soon be that of the past. We are currently installing Hilton's Stay Connected HSIA which may have been the initial problem and is being investigated. Our installation guidelines were that no rooms were to be down... slow if on the old system but not out. We are launching our Above and Beyond service training, so average service is left to the other brands. I have example of this program and would love to share with you to let you know you comments are being addressed and not placated on trip advisor.
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It was a mess from my arrival to my departure..but the staff did everything they could to fix it and offer specials and at the end the supervisor cut the bill 50%-now that was impressive! Overall the hotel needs a overhaul but the staff was friendly and helpful. Upgraded to Executive Floor..paid extra and was appalled at the lack of extra care...arrived late so food was picked over and no wine served...messy and dirty with no attendant in sight. Did not improve during stay. Had NO internet service in room-OMG! apparently it is spotty throughout hotel..so watch out if you are there on business and need internet! Service incredibly slow or non-existent in bar area. Restaurant was good with healthy choices, and friendly fast service. Concierge and valet staff VERY helpful and pleasing. Room was great with good amenities.

Room Tip: Make sure that room has good internet service! Our room was next to vending machine AND Executive L...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I wanted to address your concerns.
Yes, we needed the renovations and will continue mildly as not to disrupt our guests.
Wi-fi ... we are currently upgrading to Hilton Stay Connected, one of the best systems and should be completed by December. They are going as fast as possible floor by floor.

I'm disappointed with our first showing of the executive level. This is a new program for enhancing upgrades, HHonors gold and diamond level members, and our lucky "above and beyond" guest service program. Your comments have been addressed to our Food and Beverage Director, Rooms Director and Executive Chef.

We listen... please conitinue to help us to improve your future stays.
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I had to stay over in Miami due to an American Airlines snafu. Unfortunatley, we were placed in the DoubleTree Inn. By the time we arrived, the only food choice available to us so late in the evening was the bar. The inept workers in the bar left much to be desired. Saul acted as if he hads never worked there before. He could not complete one task and he was off to the next. Very unorganized! After waiting over one hour for chicken quesadillas and a grilled chicken sandwich, I have to say the food was excellant. Or maybe it was because it was almost midnight and we hadn't had anything to eat in about 10 hours. The breakfast buffet the next morning was $32! Insanity! We didn't take advantage of the pool, as we were trying to get the heck home. The room had an old banana peel left in the trashcan when we arrived so the whole room smelled like old banana. It was gross! The cleaning staff does not know how to use the want to dust in the corners or behind the desk, etc. The room was large but who cares about that? The fan in the bathroom just makes a lot of noise but doesn't really vent the steam out. It also had a lot of dust cakes around it. I would highly recommend staying away. Oh, and we didn't even see a hint of their famous chocolate chip cookies. Go figure!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lessnow59
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2011

This was my second time at this hotel. Doubletree is at the tipping point. It is a nice hotel, the staff was really nice/helpful. They were doing some work to modernize the entry. Breakfast was pretty good. The amenities in the room were modern and the bed was comfortable....break break break....the newness is starting to wear off. The bathroom/shower was dated. The electronic lock on the door did not work properly. The fact that most of the businesses in the outlet mall attached to the hotel have left doesn't really make the Doubletree all that attractive from a location perspect. Oh, and the traffic is Miami is absolutely atrocious - not the Doubletree's fault, but I will have to look for lodging closer to my business destination in town.

1 Thank brian P
Arlington, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2011

AA put me up for the night. Had to change my first room because of smell and smoke. New room remote didn't work. I went down to get batteries they told me they would send someone up. Took them 80 min to show up after 4 calls to tell me tv doesn't work. No net and when I called they transferred me to tech and I hung up after 20 min of waiting. Called front desk back and they told me the were hacked and all the net has had issues for 2 days now. There is trash outside my door. The worse part of the whole thing is when I plugged In my phone there is a huge hair ball, huge, with tons of tiny hairs and trash right by the top of bed on the floor. I have been waiting here for about 30 min for manager to show up and see it, still nothing. Never will I stay at a double tree again.

Ps. There is construction downstairs make a ton of noise at 8 am. Not good!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!