I did not have a good start to my experience at this hotel. I checked-in at the desk and was issued 2 keys for a room on a high floor. I went to the elevators, which required a room key to use. My key didn't seem to trip the elevator, but another person got on and up I went to the floor to which I was assigned. I should have known -- the keys I was issued did not work on the room.
So, I went down to the front desk, waited in a short line, and explained to the clerk (the same one who checked me in) that the keys didn't work. She then gave me new keys; when I got to the elevator and swiped this key, I was swept to a different floor than the floor of my room. I couldn't even access the floor my room was supposed to be on.
I went to the desk a THIRD time and upon seeing that the same clerk who had screwed up twice was still working, asked to speak with a manager. Turns out, my actual room was on YET ANOTHER FLOOR (in fact, my actual room was a different one altogether than the one listed on my registration packet). The manager gave me a correct set of keys. He called me a few minutes later and explained the root of the error was a front desk clerk who just did it wrong...twice. He apologized and reduced my room rate, which was decent service recovery, but it would have been a lot better if the front desk staff were trained to check people in accurately (which seems like a pretty baseline skill for someone who works at a registration desk).
Set that aside, and the stay was OK. The hotel is attached to a massive convention hall, and the property seems to be in the midst of a HUGE renovation project. The hotel part seems done, and indeed the lobby and the room had nice decor, good furniture, nice bedding, etc.
The hotel's pool is a major disappointment. This isn't by the beach or anything, so I wasn't necessarily expecting a glamorously landscaped pool...but it IS Miami, which is a pool-going town. Well, the pool might as well be at the Holiday Inn in Des Moines -- it's small, surrounded by ugly concrete, and totally uninviting.
I was on a concierge floor because of my Hilton HHonors status. Fine if you get upgraded, but NOT worth paying for. The evening appetizers in the lounge were pathetic; basically, a tray of vegetables with some dip was put out. Breakfast wasn't anything special, either.
It's an airport hotel, so you can't knock it for location very much...it's close to the airport, and that is about all. Don't stay here expecting lots of nearby restaurants, etc., unless you're really into fast food.
Overall, blaaaaaaaah. Once they actually figured out how to check me in, it was fine, but as business takes me back to Miami and I need a hotel near the airport, I'd certainly be willing to stay elsewhere before rushing back here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "It's So Miami"! From business to pleasure the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Miami Airport & Convention Center is minutes to the Miami International Airport (MIA), connected to the Miami International Merchandise Mart – a wholesale / retail experience offering exceptional savings and is the home of the Miami Airport Convention Center (MACC). Business travelers enjoy the convenient location to the Blue Lagoon and Doral business parks and guests traveling for leisure love this same location for its easy highway access allowing for them to visit the many sites of Miami and South Florida including Downtown attractions, Coconut Grove shopping and South Beach nightlife. Complimentary, Wi-Fi with video streaming speeds, 24-hour complimentary airport transportation, 5 dining options from fine steaks and fresh Florida seafood at Rioja Grille to the Fresh Market Grab and Go. With 24 room service travelers never go hungry. The plaza of shops, multitude of gift stores and even a beauty salon/spa are just another reason to visit. Be sure to visit the large fitness facility, featuring locker rooms, state-of-the-art cardio vascular equipment and even an area for a game of basketball. Set in a tropical garden environment the temperature controlled outdoor pool and whirlpool is a great choice to relax and/or visit friends and family. Bring together groups from 10 to 6000 at the MACC. Consider hosting a meeting in this Miami, Florida hotel's 172,000 sq. ft. Of modern meeting and tradeshow space. With 50 individual meeting rooms including boardrooms, multiple ballrooms from 6,000 to 28,000 sq. ft., Ground level exposition space of over 76,000 sq. ft. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton And Miami Airport Convention Center
- Doubletree By Hilton & Miami Airport Hotel Miami
- Doubletree Miami Mart Airport Hotel
- Miami Mart
- Sheraton Mart Hotel
- Sheraton Miami