“Great Decor, Average Service; Overall, Nothing Special”

DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center
Ranked #63 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I did not have a good start to my experience at this hotel. I checked-in at the desk and was issued 2 keys for a room on a high floor. I went to the elevators, which required a room key to use. My key didn't seem to trip the elevator, but another person got on and up I went to the floor to which I was assigned. I should have known -- the keys I was issued did not work on the room.

So, I went down to the front desk, waited in a short line, and explained to the clerk (the same one who checked me in) that the keys didn't work. She then gave me new keys; when I got to the elevator and swiped this key, I was swept to a different floor than the floor of my room. I couldn't even access the floor my room was supposed to be on.

I went to the desk a THIRD time and upon seeing that the same clerk who had screwed up twice was still working, asked to speak with a manager. Turns out, my actual room was on YET ANOTHER FLOOR (in fact, my actual room was a different one altogether than the one listed on my registration packet). The manager gave me a correct set of keys. He called me a few minutes later and explained the root of the error was a front desk clerk who just did it wrong...twice. He apologized and reduced my room rate, which was decent service recovery, but it would have been a lot better if the front desk staff were trained to check people in accurately (which seems like a pretty baseline skill for someone who works at a registration desk).

Set that aside, and the stay was OK. The hotel is attached to a massive convention hall, and the property seems to be in the midst of a HUGE renovation project. The hotel part seems done, and indeed the lobby and the room had nice decor, good furniture, nice bedding, etc.

The hotel's pool is a major disappointment. This isn't by the beach or anything, so I wasn't necessarily expecting a glamorously landscaped pool...but it IS Miami, which is a pool-going town. Well, the pool might as well be at the Holiday Inn in Des Moines -- it's small, surrounded by ugly concrete, and totally uninviting.

I was on a concierge floor because of my Hilton HHonors status. Fine if you get upgraded, but NOT worth paying for. The evening appetizers in the lounge were pathetic; basically, a tray of vegetables with some dip was put out. Breakfast wasn't anything special, either.

It's an airport hotel, so you can't knock it for location very much...it's close to the airport, and that is about all. Don't stay here expecting lots of nearby restaurants, etc., unless you're really into fast food.

Overall, blaaaaaaaah. Once they actually figured out how to check me in, it was fine, but as business takes me back to Miami and I need a hotel near the airport, I'd certainly be willing to stay elsewhere before rushing back here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center

Reviewed July 17, 2011

I booked this hotel for one night as me and my wife were leaving to the Port of Miami for our honey moon. From the beginning they were extremely rude, hard to understand and lacked organization. The first night we found dried blood on our bed sheets. Instead of acknowledging the problem, they tried to blame us, since their housekeeper "personally inspects every sheet in the hotel". We did not even get a apology. Next time I'm going back to the Hyatt, it might be a bit more expensive but at least it is closer to everything.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iflyaplane
tferrara10, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

First I should like to apologize regarding any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Miami Airport Convention Center. The situation that you describe is not acceptable to the management team of this property and rest assured we shall investigate this situation thoroughly; appropriately counseling each guest service agent until we reach a resolve.
I sincerely apologize of the inappropriate handling of your complaint, I would recommend that should you encounter an inappropriate response by any guest service agent in any hotel in the future– that you request to speak to the manager on duty or the general manager. Both would be happy to assist you and would make the situation right.
Our goal at the Doubletree is to not only meet but to exceed our guest’s expectations and in this instance we certainly failed to achieve our goal. Again my apologies.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

The Double Tree by the Miami airport was just okay. I didn't have the highest expectations, since I "won" the room on Priceline. I'm beginning to think that all hotels that participate with Priceline have "Priceline" rooms.

The Good:

* The service - anytime we requested something that request was honored. Also really enjoyed the complimentary delicious cookies

* Location - we were close to pretty much everything. We drove no more than 15 minutes to get most places.

The Bad:

* The bed: ATROCIOUS! It sank down VERY low every time we sat or laid on the bed. It was very uncomfortable. My feet were above my head while laying down. They really need to invest some money in upgrading the "Priceline" beds.

* The bathroom: It would have been nice. They have beautiful vanities and marble walls. However, the nooks and crannies look BAD. I will attribute it to either bad caulking or poor cleaning.

* The pool: There was yellow crime scene tape over one portion of the pool and the whirlpool was not working while we were there. Also, the pool had no security, meaning any person that paid for parking could come into the pool area with no restrictions. There were also a lot of bugs in the pool.

* The hallways: On our floor the hallways were always filthy. They were littered with crumbs, food and trash. It took 2 days after our arrival for the mess to be cleaned and they never stayed that way.

* The view: HORRIBLE! Our view was of the 836 highway and air conditioning units that looked broken.

* The parking: $7/day and there were several times we saw large pieces of animal feces in the parking lot.

* The free wifi: It barely worked in our room.

Overall, the stay was okay. I would never stay here again and it's made me re-evaluate my use of Priceline. This is allegedly a 3.5 star property. I felt safe enough and the rooms weren't filthy, but I definitely wouldn't label it right under a 4 star.

If you're thinking of paying full price for this property, think again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

First I should like to apologize regarding any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Miami Airport Convention Center. I appreciate your compliments regarding the service staff and I am happy that you enjoyed the cookies. Also I agree with you that our location is pretty much close to everything – “15 minutes to most places”.

Regarding the bed, I apologize that you did not like the Doubletree “Sweet Dreams” sleep experience, our surveys find that 90% of our guests appreciate the Experience. In fact, I have assisted several guests in finding and purchasing this bedding for their homes.

The bathrooms : they are nice, I agree, they have beautiful vanities and marble walls and our deep cleaning program has touched these Marble tile areas recently and we are in the process of replacing some spots in the grout. My apologies for any imperfections that you may have found.

Also, I extend my apologies for any inconvenience in the pool area - the caution tape was up around the pool light fixtures on the 3rd of July as we replaced these fixtures. We were enhancing our pool and we chose that time period due to a brief period of low occupancy. In regard to security the pool is monitored via security camera and there is a security post less than 20 yards from the pool entrance.
I also agree, that the view of 836 (The Dolphin Expressway) certainly cannot be described as scenic – I would recommend requesting a room on the south side of the property which has a very picturesque view of the Miami Skyline.

Parking: at $7/day you should bear in mind that this is the most economical parking rate of any hotel in the airport area – our competitors charge up to $7 more per day for self- parking.

Regarding the HSIA system –we are currently have the highest bandwidth of any of the airport hotels and we are putting the final touches on our all new AT&T “Stay-connected” system, found at all Hilton Family of Brands properties. When that system is completed (early August), you will find the HSIA experience unparalleled.

Again my apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay. If I may be of any future service in assisting you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

After reading alot of reviews before staying at this hotel I was a bit sceptical about staying there but I am happy we did in the end.

Checkin was quick and all staff were warm and friendly. Our receptionist greeted us with warm raisin and nut cookies which in my opinion is a nice little touch. First impressions of the overall hotel on entry were good, It was clean contemporary and not too busy. The only concern I had when I entered was the security because we entered the side entrance it appeared that anybody could just stroll in and get the lift as they pleased, how wrong I was! The room key activates the lift so without it you are going nowhere.

I called the day before we arrived to request two double beds in our room and they made it happen. The room itself was clean and cool. We had a view of the pool area which I didnt mind, considering how close the hotel is to the airport and the highway there was no loud noises to disturb. The bathroom was clean but there was an unpleasant smell coming from the toilet. It wasnt unbearable and you couldnt smell it when you were out the bathroom so wasnt really a big deal.

We didnt eat at the hotel so cant really review on the quality of the food but the overall stay was lovely. I would definitely stay here again if am passing through Miami.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I felt compelled to write my first review on TripAdvisor after our stay this past weekend at the Doubletree Hotel & Convention Center by the Miami Airport.We stayed the weekend as part of a large group that was holding an event at the convention center adjacent to the hotel.

I believe this hotel and the convention center have undergone a recent renovation. This was evident in some of the common areas and in the convention hall. In my opinion, the best features of the hotel are the icy-cold A/C and the refreshing shower (although the tub/shower certainly did not seem to be part of the renovation). Unfortunately, almost everything else about our stay was less than stellar. Like other reviewers, the pronounced lack of service, in all areas of the property, was baffling. Considering this property is billed as a convention hotel, one would think that customer service would be AT LEAST average. However, things like overflowing garbage containers, litter in the stagnant water of common area water features, garbage in the pool and jacuzzi, extremely limited food service, nearly non-existent housekeeping service and critically low-levels of linens are critically important to a property that is supposed to cater to large groups.

The GM of this property needs to get it together and find and retain some high-quality service personnel immediately if they want to stay in business.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
tferrara10, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton & Miami Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

First I should like to apologize regarding any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay at the DoubleTree Hotel Miami Airport Convention Center. It was unfortunate that you stayed at our facility with a group that was apparently very short on parental supervision, this placed the hotel in the very awkward position of supervising hundreds of teenage children during this event. And yes we had some challenges with trash pick up in the pool area during the event due to the large number of teenagers frequenting that area when they had breaks in their competition. I do apologize for that, however, I must also point out that there was no stagnant water in the pool area, in fact the multiple ponds that are fed by multiple waterfalls features adjacent our tropically landscaped pool were never turned off – hence no stagnant water. Also, I must point out that the comment regarding limited food service facilities in our hotel is quite erroneous, the property features a family style restaurant with both buffet and ala carte dining, a modestly priced upscale restaurant in our Rioja Grill, a Tapas and Burger Bar adjacent our lounge, two take out Soup, Sandwich and Salad outlets with café style service in our plaza shopping area, one Starbuck’s style coffee shop and one Convention Center Concession featuring ball park style food service - all if which were at your disposal during your event– 7 total food service outlets within the hotel convention center facility – I would hardly call that limited.

Lastly I need to mention that this was a very high occupancy per room group event, which unfortunately registered 2 – 4 people into a guest room and then occupied the room with 6-7 people – our brand standard (Hilton) prepares the room for 4 persons on average –with the unscheduled increased occupancy of these rooms we did scramble for a time to provide additional linens to these over-capacity guest rooms. Again my apologies for any delays that you may have experienced during that time frame..

Reviewed May 16, 2011

I was looking just for a place to sleep in a short trip to Miami.
Got a very good deal at Hotwire.

Pros.
The free wi-fi and the express check-out were very handy.
The Room Service was good and not so expensive.
The parking fee is also not expensive.

Negative
The room was not so great. Good bed, though.

No minibar in the room and the Ice machine in my floor didn't work.
The vending machine in my floor only sell soft drinks. No water.

To sum up, a good place to sleep for the money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Pardal_Brasil
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This was a Priceline winning bid so I can't complain too much, but why do hotels think they have the right to charge parking fees and wireless fees to their guests. I think this one was $7 a day for parking. Wireless internet was not free. The room was very nice and clean. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was a little cramped. They have a lot of convention business here, so the parking lot can be full in the middle of the day. I didn't notice much airplane noise even though the hotel is very close to the airport. We could see the runway from our room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple