“No Staff Traiining or Supervision - Disgusting Habits”

Hilton Miami Airport
Ranked #45 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Las Vegas, Nevada
“No Staff Traiining or Supervision - Disgusting Habits”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed in a suite for 4 days and enjoyed everything about the room and the property until I witnessed the maid service. While watching TV the cleaning service started, I was seated such that I could see the maids cart outside my door which allowed me to witness the maid take two glasses from the bathroom and simply wipe them with a towel until they appeared clean, and then put them back in the bathroom. When I inquired about this process she got another maid from down the hall and both told me this was their procedure. Neither maid had a clean glass in their carts. Additionally, a minute later she replaced the paper coffee cups from tube of new cups but used her fingers inside the cups to pull two from the tube. Folks, she had just cleaned the toilet with those very same hands. I was disgusted and angry because I realized the glasses I drank from that morning were used by countless other guests for ages before I got there, and never washed and the paper coffee cups were contaminated as well. When I informed the hotel manager he said "the labor pool in Miami is not good quality and we get this type of problem".... Really? I said, “How about intense training, close supervision and accountability all the way to the top.” For him to say what he did is a certain indication of abrogation of responsibility be Hilton to ensure the health and safety of hotel guests and the law. His excuse is lame and a sure indication that Hilton is satisfied to ignore the issue. I'd never recommend this hotel because of the possibility of disease transfer from who knows how many unsanitary practices.

Room Tip: Try another property
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bill89052
Hilton M, General Manager at Hilton Miami Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our property during your stay in Miami and enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, we apologize that you encountered one isolated conditions with our drinking cups. While incidents of this nature are indeed rare, we are just as disappointed as you and rest assured this matter has been reviewed with our Housekeeping department. We’ve instituted additional training in addition to our already extensive training with our housekeeping staff to avoid that issue in the future and to ensure that our guests are surrounded by fresh and sanitary environments. As I informed you when we spoke after you had spoken with our hotel manager. We take great pride in serving our guests as evident with the many great reviews we receive on our great staff and service. We value your feedback and use comments such as yours as training and improvement tools.

Raul Aguilera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and it has never failed me. My last stay was in August of 2012 on the night I left for my live aboard diving trip to the Bahamas. The check in was fast and the room was very nice. It was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The pool area by the lagoon is also very nice. I left my car there for a week on a park-n-fly package that was very reasonably priced. Very convenient with the free airport shuttle. This is my hotel when I have to stay in Miami. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are newly renovated.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Not your typical airport hotel! I stayed in the Hilton last month for business and would recommend the hotel for anyone who needs to be close to the airport or by the Blue Lagoon area for business. Being a Hilton rewards member I was given a renovated suite which I found to be more than acceptable. It was a well-appointed modern room and was very comfortable for my stay. The staff was also very accommodating and friendly.

Cons: only one set of elevators was working with made for long waits. Also the Hilton executive lounge was under renovation which was disappointing, they couldn’t tell me when this would be completed so if this is a deal breaker for you, I would ask about its completion when you book.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I never quite know what to expect when I stay at an Airport Hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised at the location, views, cleanliness and comfort of the Hilton Miami Airport. We stayed just a single night before a business cruise event, and arrived mid afternoon, so we had time to take in the entire hotel and grounds. We started out with a late lunch in our room while we got settled in. Room service was prompt and the food was good, but expensive (two sandwiches for $38). We then took a brisk walk around the Jogging Path that has distance markers so you can track your milage. The views from the grounds are surprisingly beautiful being so close to the airport as the hotel is situated in the middle of "Blue Lagoon". We had a comfortable night, and a good breakfast the next morning (again, expensive). The one disappointment was the Business Center, which was no more than a room with several PAY to PLAY copy machines, computers, and fax machines. It was not clean, not stocked with anything, and there was no-one there to help.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank POSitiveBrett
Madison Heights, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel two times before and will be staying here again before a cruise in Jan, 2013. I love the balcony room and especially the updated bathroom which is Beautiful!! The bed is very comfortable. I love the pool area and the views of the lagoon and airport. This hotel has a very secure feel to it and the staff is very nice.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room for awesome views!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DanJ82
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Rooms have recently been upgraded to a good standard, but the restaurant, bar, lobby and gym are looking very tired, cold and in need of some refurbishment and investment.

This cold atmosphere seems to have affected some of the staff who appear detached and not as friendly as on our previous visits to this convenient airport property. The shuttle buses are so old and noisy they are ready for the scrapheap. It is a miracle they can still move!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This place was pretty yucky to be a Hilton. The decor and amenties were dated and the hallways smelled like onions. I stayed here because we missed our connecting flight home and it was paid for by the airline. The staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were nothing spectacular and basic. Benefit was that it was a few minutes from the airport, since we had an early flight. Free airport shuttle. I saw a bar inside the hotel, unsure about restaurants since we arrived pretty late at night. Wouldnt stay here again unless I had to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple