“Not up to par with other Embassy Suites” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami - International Airport

Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami - International Airport
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Texas
“Not up to par with other Embassy Suites”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here on a layover night and bought the room as a 'pre-paid' deal on line. I am going to assume that because we got that deal we were given one of the worst rooms possible, as the hotel was not full and still...we were given one of the worst rooms possible. First- we were given the room directly across from the elevators, so every one that stopped or floor to use the elevator peered in our room. So, we shut the curtains. Problem solved. Second issue- the room's AC didn't function well. We HAD To keep the door open between the bedroom and Living area, as the bedroom was a hot box, and the Living area was freezing. So strange. We had the AC set to 64 and it was still an oven in the bedroom. Third, the side of the hotel we were on gets ALL the flight traffic from the airport, so every 10-15 minutes you hear the sound of a plane landing....loudly. I was hoping it would end at around midnight, but that wasn't the case. It slowed down a bit but still consistant. Lastly, the property needs an facelift. The common areas and restaurant, etc are all very nice and re-done, However the rooms are still pretty old. They put in granite countertops, but left the old light fixtures, wallpaper, mouldings, etc. The peeling molding paper in the bathroom was horrible.

Room Tip: I would guess you should be at the front of the hotel to avoid the airplane noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank texas_traveler750

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had to stay for a week to visit our medical doctors. This hotel was convenient and offered so much. Airport noise was a little shocking at first but by the second day we were OK with the location. Evening social hour was AOK with snacks, wine and cocktails. Morning breakfast was a winner with hand made omlettes and all the normal goodies. Heard a complaint or two that the scrambled eggs did not taste or look like real eggs? Tried them once and then went to omlettes. The bedding was exceptional. We even took down the name and address so we can upgade our home. This is a big complement but they deserve the accolades.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fairwayfrank
Port Saint Lucie, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Clean rooms, efficient and helpful staff. Would recommend this hotel to everyone! Atmosphere of the atrium was beautiful, the Koi, the birds and the waterfall were peaceful and relaxing. The food in Grill 305 was amazing. Best Cuban sandwich ever!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Miami, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A couple little items but overall would stay here again. The staff was very polite and accomadating to help with your needs.One of the what I consider small items was the hot water in our bathroom. I ran the water for at least ten minutes before it was warm enough not get in.My wife showered after me and by the time she was done it was finally starting to get what I would consider hot.We were on the 7th floor.We were up showering at 5:30 AM so hot water should not have been an issue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We love the Embassy Suites brand and this one did not disappoint. We stayed a few days before our cruise. They pick you up at the airport; they have a great full, hot breakfast; manager's drinks; a shuttle service to area restaurants and shopping and casino and provide transportation to the sea port at a nominal fee, Oh yes, the hotel décor is outstanding! Staff works very hard to handle the crowds, especially groups with children. Would definitely stay again,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Staff has a very nice attitude and willing to help all the time. This includes all staff. The location is excelent close to restaurants and malls and very secure as well. Great value and complentary breakfast has a great variety of options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have always had wonderful experiences with the Embassy Suites brand, in large part because of their customer care, which can absolutely make or break an experience. But I was disappointed by Embassy Suites Miami. This review is about Customer Care, and what an important marketing tool it is, and I hope Embassy Suites and Hilton read this.

First, let me say that I never even made it to the hotel - I was one of those silly people who decided to travel by air on Friday, June 21, the longest day of the year, under a full moon, bad karma. My flight was delayed in St. Louis due to thunderstorms in Illinois, and I missed my connection in Chicago to Miami. Due to the number of people in the same boat, O'Hare Airport in Chicago was full of stranded people. I could not get on another flight to Miami, I had no alternative but to get on the next flight back to St. Louis, weekend in Miami lost. Obviously, I was already well beyond the time limit to cancel my first night's stay at Embassy Suites, I accepted that, understanding that hotels have to fill rooms. But I was hoping, in the spirit of customer relations and brand management, to be able to negotiate a partial refund on the 2nd night, or even a credit toward a future stay in the hotel.

I want to take a side trip here to mention that the customer service people at United Airlines and at Priceline.com were wonderful, personable, courteous and helpful in getting me home, and helping with my efforts to try to recover some of my investment in a lost weekend. Thank you to both of those companies!

Back to Embassy Suites. After working through Priceline.com as required (by the way, I paid the full Priceline price for the hotel, not the "name your own rate," simply because I specifically wanted to stay at Embassy Suites), in which 3 different Priceline.com representatives made multiple phone calls to the hotel, calling me back to get airline information, etc., it came down to me proving to the hotel manager that day, I did actually miss my connecting flight. He wanted to be called by United Airlines, which was logistically not possible, because the United rep couldn't make outbound calls. United directed me to an area of their website that documented the actual flight status of my delayed flight from St. Louis, showing the late arrival. I copied the info, and also my emailed boarding pass, and composed an email to the hotel manager.

After trying to reach him by phone twice, when he was unable to take my calls (according to the front desk, he was completely aware of my situation), I finally gave up and left a message with the front desk, asking that the manager review my email, and call me back. Just call me back. Just acknowledge me. He never did.

Now, again, I understand that hotels have to fill their rooms, it's a business. And the weather is not something that we can control. But, I am fairly confident that the hotel was able to fill my room on the 2nd night of my failed reservation. Score: Embassy Suites Miami 2, Customer 0.

The thing here is that Embassy Suites Miami missed a great opportunity to take a very small (on hotel scale) extra step in Customer Care, something that would have had me praising them to all of my friends and business associates. United Airlines and Priceline.com stepped up to the plate and hit it out of the park. I am so sorry to have to report that Embassy Suites Miami didn't even take a swing. I hope it was just a case of someone having a really bad day, and they will go that extra step for the next person who needs it.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms at an Embassy Suites Hotel. And in all of my experiences except this one, the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank DawnB_STLouisArea
EmbassyMiami, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami - International Airport, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We want to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your travels and with us. I can assure you we value each and every guest and want to be nothing short of accommodating, whenever possible. In order to better serve you and help alleviate your concerns. Please contact us directly. I apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to easing your frustrations.

Clavel J Louis