“No problems, just a great room”

Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
Ranked #48 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Brooklyn, New York
“No problems, just a great room”
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I travel over 50% of the time on business, so I have seen a lot of hotel. I booked a junior suite on a Sunday night for one night in August 2007. It was excellent, with a great view of the marina and Miami Beach area. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room was clean and spacious. The room was a distance down the hall, but not a far as some hotels. I heard no construction. Service was excellent, check in and out a breeze and valet service was quick. The only complaint I had was they have no restaurant of their own and you have to go to one in the nearby mall for breakfast. But my experience was great and I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank drichrx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2007

They have huge staff problems there, check-in takes ages, room-service: no go, and if you have booked the Standard Rooms on Levels 2 to 9 (left site elevators from Lobby) then good luck! there is a huge construction going on just opposite of the hotel. If you want to be there. Just try another hotel

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Sandokan62
Chicago
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Stayed here (2 nights) with my family (myself, wife, and 2 older teenagers) on our way back from a week at the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas.

We were originally booked at the Marriott (next door/connected) but they messed up our reservation and suggested we stayed next door at The Grand.

To start off the Doubletree Grand is a 'condo - hotel;' meaning that the lower floors of the building is the Doubletree and the upper floors are condos.

There is one lobby which splits into 2 elevator banks (one for hotel and one for condo). The general loby is dated with 1980 style brass and pastic-glass lighting. The Front desk for the doubletree is more modern, the staff was most helpful for our last minuet stay. We had a few room options, finding it repulsive to see a kitchen durning our stay we booked the junior suite with 1 king and 1 sofa bed. Not frequenters of Mid-Grade hotels, we were pleasntly suprised. The room was a nice size and the decor was fresh and stylish. Linens were a bit rough by our standards but for the price what do you expect. Balcony was a nice size and a partial view of the bay. Called for additional pillows and a turndown of the room and they responded promptly, including placing cookies on the pillow...intersting touch.

Primary reason for staying here was proximatey to the highway, becuase we already enjoyed the relaxation of St. Thomas my wife and daughter wanted to shop. Very close to high-end shopping centers. Pool area was very dated and they didnt provide any pool service or towels, so remember to bring down your bath towels but then make sure you call for more. This is too confusing. The day we left (saturday) the pool was overun by the residents so be prepared to fight for the chairs. Health Club was extensive.

The Mall/Arcade area that connects to the Marriott, has some shops and a mini-mart.

In general it was a nice place to sleep and a nice home bace equadistant to the beach and shopping. Restaurants are either on the beach or in Coconut Grove area.

This seems to be very much a buisness man/convention hotel also close to docks for cruise ship departure.

Would proboly never stay here again but was a nice experience. Try the Marriott nextdoor it seemed more updated.

If you want to stay on the Beach...Marriott South Beach and The Bentley Beach are great upscale places to stay. If you are on a budget stay at The Grand

• Liked — Location to Highway/Room
  • Disliked — Dated Loby
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank MichaelChicago
Detroit
Reviewed April 24, 2007

First and foremost, if you do decide to stay at the Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, ask for a room NEAR THE ELEVATOR! Our room was towards the back of the hotel and took FOREVER to walk to (around several long corners and up a short flight of stairs). This was especially annoying when trying to cart around our luggage.

Anyhow, I personally, would never have a desire to stay at this property again. It was in downtown Miami (near just about nothing) which, in my opinion, was incredibly boring and out of the way.

Also, the service at the front desk was TERRIBLE!
#1 I had booked 2 rooms, one of which a friend was to check into prior to my arrival. She gave my name at the front desk and was rudely told by the agent that they didn't have a record of the reservation and to wait in the lobby for me to arrive. When I did arrive, I gave my name to the agent (a different agent than the one she had dealt with) and had no issues. In other words, my friend had to wait for an hour sitting in the lobby for no good reason.

#2 My best girlfriend called the front desk for an ammenity and was rudely told that they would not bring it to the room, but that she'd have to come down and get it herself. Which, being that our room was a quarter of a mile away from the elevator, she said forget it.

#3 When we came back to our room in the evening, we found that our room key card was no longer working. I called from my friends room only to be rudely told once again that I'd have to come back to the front desk to receive a new one. I explained to the agent that our room was incredibly far from the elevator and would like for somebody to bring me a new key, as my feet were now blistered at this point from the quarter mile long walk from the elevator to our room. She maintained her position that in order to receive a new card we'd have to come to the front desk to pick one up. Um, HELLO! It's not my fault that the key stopped working! Work with me here! Grrrr...

The pool has an amazing view and was huge, but very boring. They have a bar that isn't even open, so in order to get any sort of drink you have to bring it up from the lobby.

Our room was, however, very nice and clean. An entire wall full of huge windows with a partial view of the water. Our bed was just fine and the room in general was very modern.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank in_love_with_SoBe
chicago
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I stayed at the Doubletree "Grand" Hotel on March 28, 2007, on a business trip. It was the worst hotel ever.

I booked a regular room, but I was told when I arrived that I had been "upgraded" to a condo suite. If by upgraded, they meant put into a den of revulsion, they were right.

-The room was not clean.
-The room had mold on the baseboards.
-The bathroom door was being held together with a clamp.
-The furniture was all stained.
-Neither television worked.
-The room had no internet, so I couldn't do my work. I later had to pay to use the painfully slow internet in their business office.
-The vent in the bedroom did not work, so the bedroom was hot and sticky.
-When I called the front desk, the bedside phone was sticky, and it didn't work. The other phone worked, but apparently, the woman at the front desk wasn't willing to work. I asked to switch rooms, and I was told that there were none available, and there was nothing she could do for me; I could talk to a manager the next day (very helpful). It was too late to look for a different hotel, so I stayed and slept fully clothed.

I complained to a manager the next day, as the extremely unhelpful front desk woman had suggested the night before. She was very nice, apologizing and eventually offering me a free night at the hotel. Understand, she wasn't comping me for the night that I was there; she was offering me a free night in the future. She said that she wanted me to have a good experience at the hotel. I agreed, and she said that she would mail me a certificate for a free night. Three weeks later, I have still not received this certificate, not that it matters.

• Liked — Lovely view
  • Disliked — Service and lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business