“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #47 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I had a very pleasant stay there. I found my room very clean and comfortable. Very quite at night and with a perfect air conditioning system. The TV was huge, even though many channels were not visible. The only thing I disliked was the fact that I had to pay to have internet in my room. This should not be common in grand hotels where you pay over 150$/night. Apart from that, nothing to complain about my room.
The hotel has a big and nice swimming pool (but unfortunately I didn't have time to go to).
Nice location and very easy to move with the bus from the Omni bus station which is 5 minutes walking. American Airlines Arena is at 10 minutes walking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Hi david f, Thanks for staying with us at our hotel. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy our new, 47 inch flat screen TVs we recently put in the rooms. We hope to you have back with us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hotel is very nice, but our favorite part was the pool! It's on the 10th floor (outdoors), is olympic-sized, and is nice and warm! There's also a really big hot tub. This is probably one of the best hotel pools we've experienced.

The hotel had several restaurants nearby, plus a little bit of shopping. The room service food was excellent (we ordered dinner).

One thing I wasn't crazy about was there's a $29 fee for valet parking and you can't park your own car (I asked) - so you kind of get stuck paying it. However, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello cwaxwing, Thanks for staying at our hotel. We’re glad you had a chance to experience our Olympic sized swimming pool and thank you for your comments regarding room service. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was in Miami strictly on business so this might not be the best place for a tourist with kids but I was really pleased with my room and stay. The room was large and very well appointed. There was a 46 inch flat screen that I used to watch the NCAA Nat'l Championship basketball game. It was very quiet. The view I had was not water side so it wasn't great but again, I was there on business. The bathroom is small which was my only complaint.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the bay side. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and did not get upgraded to tha...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hi 2BEis2SKI, Thank you for choosing our property for your business trip and for your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you again to our location – we enjoyed taking care of you.
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a nice hotel with good restaurants and cool atmosphere on the water. Suggest BRITA for breakfast and Marriott restaurant next door for dinner. The two hotels are connected with shops in between, so it's convenient. Only downside is parking charges of $29/day which is ridiculous -- but that's downtown Miami. I will say the valet staff is VERY good.

Make sure you ask for a room with a balcony door that actually opens!

I want to complement FREDY at the front desk for helping and being a great employee!

When I checked in, I was not welcomed as a Diamond member and I was put in room 641. The rooms lamps were not working and I could not open the door to the balcony. It was a low floor with no view. I checked in at 4:00 pm and it's hard to believe this was the only room available for a Diamond member.

When I inquired with the front desk about getting a better room, the lady said there was nothing she could do, at all, to help with changing my room. She was rude and seemed annoyed that I would ask for a better room because I am a diamond member.

The next day, I spoke with FREDY at the front desk. He was VERY helpful and put me in a WONDERFUL room for the second night. FREDY should is a model employee for the other front desk employees!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if your balcony door opens -- the lower floors have balcony doors bolted shut. Avo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hello Ifaw, thanks for staying with us at our hotel. I realize what the issue you had with your room and the balcony door not opening. The room you stayed in actually does not have access to the balcony due to the railing height. We are in the process of adding a higher railing so that guests will have access in the future. However I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Freddy was helpful! I’ll be sure to share your comments with them.
Ottawa
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I didn't get the room I originally booked, but it was fine as she checked me in early (so not a bid deal, she actually did me a favor). The room/hotel smelled musty and like stale smoke.
The hotel cleanliness was the biggest issue!! The fitness center was disgusting, and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in over 6 months. There was dust everywhere and most of the machines didn't work properly. The machines were rusting through because they weren't wiped down and the salt in the sweat would cause the rust - clear sign that the machines aren't taken care of.
I had 2 long black hairs in my bed when I first got in the room. There were messages written on the mirror in the bathroom, so when I showered the steam brought out what was written on the mirror. This tells me that the mirrors don't get cleaned... which makes me wonder what else doesn't get cleaned. My toilet was clogged, so I had to go down to the front desk and have someone fix that. The walls were paper thin and there was a big gap under my door so I hear absolutely everything that went on in the halls - kept me up most nights.
The pool area was nice but the first day there were screaming kids everywhere and I actually got a ball thrown at my head while I was trying to relax by the pool. The fitness center was really difficult to find. There were no signs telling you where to go. I asked one of the staff of the hotel where it was (while we were standing 15' away from it) and he didn't speak English so he just shrugged his shoulders and kept walking. Finally I asked someone exiting the Health Spa and they told me it was in there. I tried my card and it didn't work. I had to go back down to front desk to get that fixed.
When I went to connect to the internet I had to call down to front desk because it wasn't working. She gave me directions on how to do it but didn't tell me it was going to cost money to connect. So I had to call down again and even after telling the front desk person all my troubles of what I've been through thus far she wouldn't allow me free internet to compensate. I asked to speak to a manager and he wouldn't give me the internet either.
Just an absolute nightmare experience. One of the worst hotel stays in a long long time... and I'm on the road every week. The front desk manager could have tried to save face by giving me internet access for the time I was staying there but he decided he'd rather argue with me.
Not good customer service!!

1 Thank Kristen S
Hello Kristen S, thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for all of the issues you had during your stay with us. I will definitely inform the owner of the gym about the cleanliness issues you wrote about. Regarding your time at the pool, we have had a very busy summer with lots of families staying with us so I do apologize for the unusual level of noise you experienced as well. I realize you have many choices when you travel and despite the fact that you had a negative experience during your stay I truly hope that you would give us another chance if you decide to come back to Miami.
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed one night here while attending some business meetings nearby at the Arsht Center. The only rooms left were non-smoking, and I am not a smoker. Aside from that, the staff was friendly and there were no issues or problems. The view of the bay was lovely, and there was a nice balcony with room to sit. The room itself was large, with a sofa, large flat screen TV, a refrigerator and a very comfortable king size bed. Actually, I enjoyed the room very much and overall the hotel was a good experience. Some of the people attending the same meeting as me were given very large suites with more than one bedroom. Given the price, this would probably work out to a bargain for families traveling on vacation.

Room Tip: Ask about condo rental if you are vacationing. Make sure to request a non-smoking room. Also, ask...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hello Amber K, thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to get a non-smoking hotel room while you were with us. We normally do not provide smoking rooms to guests who do not want them unless we are sold out. I do hope you enjoyed your stay despite that and hope to have you book soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed last week at this hotel. Stayed in one of the 1 bedroom condo's. Very spacious and nice layout. Some updates could be used here and there but minor for the most part. Full size kitchen with all modern amenities including mini washer and dryer. Views were absolutely breathtaking - could see both the bay as well as the city - balcony has huge. Nice mall that connects with the Marriott next door with several little shops and restaurants. Great pool area and fitness center was actually a health club - top notch all the way. Bayside and American Airlines Arena about a mile away - cab ride just under $10 and used the free Metromover to return to the hotel. Also a Publix and Burger King about 2 blocks away that can help cut down on food costs. If in Miami the Doubletree would be my first choice.

Room Tip: Get one of the bay view rooms - worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
miabs_ds, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Hello Johnro, thank you for staying with us and glad to hear that you were able to enjoy one of our 1 bedroom condos as well as our pool and fitness center. Thank you as well for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We hope to have you back with us soon and thank you again.