Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
Ranked #40 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Myself, my partner and two of our friends stayed here pre-cruise in April 2011. We stayed on the condo side on the 23rd floor. The views from the room were amazing, we could see the Port of Miami and the causeway from our room, complete with a wrap-around balcony, full kitchen and two bedrooms with one king and two twin beds. The building it secure, with a 24-hour security desk and a keycard required for entry. The fitness center is a shared facility between the condo owners and the hotel guests and was very sufficient for our needs. The staff were very professional, willing to help and went over and beyond.

Then breakfast came around.

Because of my Hilton status (Diamond) I received breakfast vouchers for myself, my partner and our two friends. There are only two places in the entire hotel you can use it, either at the steakhouse or the deli. In addition, what was NOT explained to us however, is that the voucher is not for free breakfast (as is common in most Hilton properties that I've stayed in), but it deducts $8.00 per person off the bill. We didn't find this out until AFTER we ate and received a bill. Upon going to the front desk and informing them that I was not leaving until this issue was settled, they removed the amount I paid for breakfast off of the bill.

Then a mechanical issue happened in our room with the washer and dryer (yes there was a washer and dryer in our suite). The washer worked perfectly, however the dryer failed and did not dry the clothes we needed for that evening. I called the front desk and received an apology but due to the fact that we were preparing to leave for the Port of Miami, we declined waiting for maintenance.

The hotel offers shuttle service to the Port of Miami for $7.50 per person that leaves every half-hour or so. We elected to take a cab to the Port and got there much faster. Then again the Port of Miami is only about 5 minutes away.

Food options are limited in this part of town at night, there is a Burger King and a Checkers not too far from the hotel, but I recommend taking a cab or driving there in the evening hours.

As for wi-fi, there was no wi-fi in the suite, however there was wired internet. I had my aircard with me so I used that as opposed to the wired internet.

Overall our stay was wonderful, albet a few issues. I think we will stay here again the next time we are in Miami.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Traveled to Miami on business recently and took the family along for Spring Break. We checked into this hotel at 10 p.m. on a Monday night and asked for an upgrade to a bay view room (Hilton Gold / Booked a City view room). According to HHonors T&C's, we were entitled to a space available upgrade and free continental breakfast. Didn't receive either upon check in. Spent the first night squeezed into a double bed with my wife...woke up to a screaming baby in the next room at 5 a.m.

On a whim, I tried to book a bogus reservation in the hotel just to see if any upgraded rooms were available for the remainder of our stay. Lo and behold...Bay view hotel, 1br, and 2 br condos were all available. Went to front desk, told the agent what I'd discovered and requested an upgrade. Was told that I'd have to speak to the manager (Christine) when she came in at 9 a.m. Also requested breakfast coupons for my family which were provided without hesitation.

My wife dropped me off at work and went back to the hotel to speak to Christine after 9 a.m. Presto! Keys to an AWESOME 2 br condo were waiting for her at the desk.

The good: Condo was incredible with fabulous views of the city and bay. Cookies at check in were a hit with the kids. Tin of cookies and personal note sent to condo by Christine apologizing for the first night.

The bad: Mandatory $29 per night valet parking. Requested coffee refills three separate times in one evening and never received it. As a Hilton Honors member with Gold status, I felt like we had to scrap and claw for everything that we were entitled to according to the terms and conditions of the program.

2 Thank Brian D
Willoughby, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Flew into FLL and took SAS transportation to the hotel. Front desk staff was nice. Room overlooked the water. Furniture was a bit dated, but clean. Shower pressure very good (always important to me.) We did not pay for a hotel included breakfast in our reservation, but did take the advice of the Concierge and took a safe ten minute walk to "The Daily". Food was very good and worth the short walk. The hotel is a $6 cab ride to the waterfront shopping and $11 trip to the Port of Miami wher our ship was. Hotel is adjacent to condos with small shops and restaurants. We had dinner at the sports bar on the second level that was not too bad. Taxis were always around and available. Only downside was that the room was a good distance from the elevator.

Room Tip: As for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Foghorn8508
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I spent one night at this hotel earlier this week. I read a number of reviews and there seemed to be mixed emotions about this place, but given the proximity to Jackson Memorial / UM Medical Campus I decided to give it a shot. Upon arrival they informed me that I had been upgraded from a standard king room to a condo. This was before they knew I was a Diamond Hilton Honors member, so they must have just been way under booked for the night. The condo was HUGE, I would guess it was close to 1,000 sq. ft. It certainly showed its age but it was clean and very comfortable. It had 2 bathrooms, a fully equiped kitchen, a full living room with nice size TV, a huge walk-in closet off the bedroom, and also a washer/dryer combo. The staff were friendly and my request for foam pillows was addressed very quickly by housekeeping. So all-in-all my stay up until the moment I left was pleasant and I was going to leave a nice review.

HOWEVER, that all went to the garbage basket real quick. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown Miami, so the only parking they have is valet. No biggie, I left my car with the valet folks and assumed that it would be parked in a secure area in the hotel/condo buildings parking garage. Upon retrieving my car the next morning, I opened my glove box to retrieve my GPS and it was gone. Upon further inspection I also discovered that my iPod had also been removed, as well as all the loose change that was under the arm-rest in the console (every last single penny). I sell microscopes and had a $30,000 system in a box in the back that the thief ripped open. Thankfully they were stupid and didn't touch anything inside the box. I'm about 99% certain that this was an inside job by someone working for the valet company. My car doors automatically lock 5 minutes after the keys are removed if they aren't locked by the driver. Therefore, unless they left it unlocked and someone got into it within the first 5 minutes of it being parked, then someone from the company used my keys to get in and pilfer it.

Bottom line - my hotel stay was very pleasant, however the deadbeats that work for the valet company totally spoiled my stay. If you choose to use the valet, make sure you remove ALL valuables, even if they are not in plain sight (I obviously just learned that the hard way).

7 Thank Tampa_Jersh
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

The hotel is located in a convenient spot almost within 15 minutes by car of any area worth a mention like South Beach. Hotel is a little tired but clean. Rooms are comfortable. My colleagues tell me the internet is variable...I had no issues. The breakfast venue is a not a hotel run restaurant and I was put into the apartments side of the hotel as opposed to the hotel. I got an apartment and this has been quite nice however, this wasn't explained to me at reception. The staff have been friendly and helpful especially the doorman and concierge. The reception staff did their jobs and nothing more. All over, not bad given what you pay.

1 Thank chileandreamin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I would like to start by saying that I have stayed in multiple Double Tree Hotels with a great experience. This particular Double Tree is one I would not recommend to anyone. My Story: I booked a jr suite several months in advance and when I arrive, we were downgraded to a standard room. I had to ask for a discount to accomodate for the smaller room, because they were not about to offer it on their own. Ok, not the end of the world. Second night we are there a pipe burst in our corner of the hotel. Definitely understand that this is not the hotels fault. We were not able to shower, use the bathroom, etc... I called the front desk to tell them our room was forming a pond in the middle of room. They did not apologize, but said we know and showers/ bathrooms were available in the gym. Great, community showers and bathrooms. Around 1pm, they tell us a room is now available. Big surprise, another downgrade and ac is not working. I tell the manager about my experience and says that a suite is not for 4 people and that's why we were downgraded (clearly not what was said on the phone...suite is why I stayed here instead of marriott), she said we have a couch in our room and why do we need a rollaway bed in the new room assigned (4 grown men not looking to spoon). This is my first post on tripadvisor, but I read on here all the time to make a decision to stay somewhere. Hopes this helps someone.

• Stayed March 2011
6 Thank cxg347
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I had to change rooms 3 times. The first had hairs all in the bed and a major bug infestation crawling all over the bathroom and room. They moved me to the condo side, which was worse. The stains on the bed made me want to vomit and the room was just a mess. Pieces of the floor board were missing, there were stains everywhere, wires hanging out, and the shower was the most disgusting, moldy, greenish blue goopy nastiness I had ever seen. My 3rd room had hair in the sink, crumbs all over the floor, trash had not been emptied, and there was an old newspaper thrown about the bathroom. The front desk staff was rude and asked if I wanted to check out (it was midnight at this point and I had no where to go). They finally agreed to send a cleaning team upstairs to clean the room (she was so sweet, btw... the only positive thing about this hotel was the lady who cleaned the room). She was horrified when she saw the condition of the room and very apologetic.
In the midst of all this, the elevator broke, trapping me inside. When I finally go the doors to open, they slammed shut immediately as I was walking out and the elevator dropped a few inches, catching my toe in the riff.
I was told the manager was on vacation but I arranged to speak with the front desk manager. I had told the staff that I would be back to talk to her on my lunch break (giving the exact time) but when I arrived, she had "stepped out for lunch." I asked when she wouold be leaving for the day and I was told 7:00pm. I told the desk staff that I would be back by 6:30 to meet with her. When I rushed back from my meeting and asked for her, I was told she had left 3 hours ago! I finally talked to her the next day and showed her the photodocumentation of the gross conditions. She did not seem phased but said she was going to give me 70,000 HH points (but would not reiumburse the room charges). She also left a bottle of wine in my room which was inappropriate considering the nature of the conference I was attending. I would normally appreciate wine, but it was just awkward that it was left there on my last day and I could not carry it back on the airplane unless I wanted to pay to check my bag. Anyway, 2 weeks later I still had not received my points in my account (I was told it would take 7-10 days) so I called the HH hotline. They told me (even though I had it in writing) that the hotel had never submitted anything about the points. Thankfully the customer service people at HH are very nice and made up for it with more bonus points. I may add the pictures later so you can see for yourself just how gross this place is!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business