“Marriott Nickelodeon Package Failure”

Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
Ranked #14 of 125 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We booked this hotel for one night pre-cruise. Our son waited patiently for his Nickelodeon surprise at check in. I had promised him a surprise would be waiting for him at the hotel for his 9th birthday. The clerk handed me my room keys and to my son's disappointment, no gift bag. I had to ask for it. The clerk then left to go retrieve the gift bag. She returned with the bag, a pair of sunglasses, and a ball. Not exactly what I was expecting but alright.

On our way out to dinner, I stopped at the front desk and spoke with the same clerk that checked us into the hotel. I requested that the Nickelodeon turndown service be completed before we returned from dinner. Unfortunately, it was not in our room when we got back from dinner appx 2 hours later. I called downstairs and was told that the turndown would occur between 6pm and 8pm. It was 7:30pm at that time. I waited until 8:15pm before calling again. We were told that they were on the way. Housekeeping showed up at 8:45 with the pillowcase and a tiny box of chocolates. Where was the bedtime story book? We were tired from traveling so I let the issue rest for the night.

The next morning, I called the font desk to speak with the manager to complain. I waitied in the room for a few minutes but they did not call me back or leave a message for me on the hotel phone. I retirieved the Nickelodeon activity book from the front desk. Not a story book at all. And no apology either.

Considering the extra amount of money I spent on the package, I expected to get what was advertised on Marriotts website. Marriott dropped the ball. Worst customer service ever. Did I mention the 20 minute wait to check in at the front desk?

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank candfloyd

Reviewed September 24, 2010

Obtained a room through Priceline. The check-in was located in an unusual area, but check in was a breeze and the front desk was very accomodating in regards to high floor request and was allowed to check in at 2:00 PM. The room was very clean and the view from the 30th floor overlooking the cruise port was outstanding. The sky walk to numerous shops and restaurants was very convenient. The pool area and workout room were exceptional. Would definitely stay at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

The views were very nice....but that's all. Entry to the hotel is awkward and out of the way. The lobby is off the very old and poorly designed parking garage (that they charge $22 per day to use). The lobby and the path to the garage were also crowded every time we passed through. The buffet breakfast was terrible. The food was bland and cold. In the room, the bed was actually nice. Overall, I really couldn't believe there had been a major renovation recently because everything looked pretty old and outdated.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 18, 2010

This trip was my 2nd time in South Beach, Miami but not on the actual strip. It was memorial day weekend and things were pretty lively on both sides of the Bay. I had no choice but to book a hotel for me and my friends that was within distance of the South Beach strip. Once again this is the second time I ever stayed at the Marriott franchise and the never disappoint. I had nothing but positive things to say about this place and just the atomsphere at the time was a little uncomfortable.
The rooms are by design the same in almost all Marriott's you would stay at in the U.S. I booked 1 single room for myself and a double bedroom for my friends. The double bedrooms are very spacious and professional looking. There is even enough space if you had invited guest to stay the night. The bathroom is very elegant and spacious with a nice clean feel to it. The T.V, airconditioning and internet all worked perfectly fine. With the Marriott you can enjoy the cable T.V channels and all its ammenities. Having the top floor overlooking the bay is a great feeling to have as well.
The staff of all Marriott establishment is something to talk about as well. After booking my trip I called the Biscayne Bay loction to accomodate the preference of the room. I requested the highest floor they had available plus an adjustment from a single bed to a double bedroom and even bay view opposed to downtown Miami. They made the change without any issues, hastles or charge, which made me want to spend any type of money to thank them. The quality of room service was great considering I did not put a credit card on file but used cash deposit was not even a problem at all. The cleaning people would come when ever you needed them to hand you a towel, toothbrush or even fixing the beds.
The Biscayne Bay ammenities such as gym and pool area were not as great as the New York or Alanta locations but was still a pretty good one. The pool area was in a good location in the hotel over looking the bay. Overall I love the Marriott and Biscayne Bay location makes the franchise even better. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who would book it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2010

We decided to stay here rather than south beach, and were so glad we did!
Although the Mariott is currenlty under construction you would never actually know!
Staff were very helpful throughout our stay!
Our room was on the 14 floor and we had an amazing view of downtown aswell as south beach!
Taxi's to south beach were about $15 dollars, but worth it to escape the noise and lights of the bars and resturants! Amazing places to eat in south beach so definatly worth the trip every night!
Once the facelift is complete this hotel will be amazing, we are glad we got such a great rate so we could experinece this hotel and location for cheaper!
Resturant and shops underneath the hotel which adds convience!
We also visited sawgrass mills outlet mall and the aventura mall - both amazing shopping locations recommended by the hotel!
We also visited the Seaquarium which was cheaper and more intimate than seaworld!
Also visit Bayside if you can (downtown area) as has great resturants and bars including Hooters, Chicargo Rock and Bubba Gumps!
Great place to stay!

Reviewed September 14, 2010

The location was excellent! It allowed me to enjoy downtown and was only a 5 minute drive across the causeway from the hustle and bustle of Sobe. Though it was under renovation, one would never know. We were not inconvenienced at all by that. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The only thing that I noticed is the rooms were a tad bit smaller than what I'm used to with Marriott but hey I was in town to enjoy the city. Already planning a return trip!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Another pleasurable stay.
The positives:
Rooms look exactly like the website
Rooms are clean and refurbished
The view of the bay is to die for
Great value for the price we paid
Staff friendly and accommodating
There was construction going on but it did not interfer with the operations of the hotel a big plus for us.
Problem free stay.

Negative:
Once again I had an issue with the quality of the bathroom linen, frayed and torn at the edges. I say once again, because this was the same problem I had with a previous stay in Fort Lauderdale.
The top sheet on the bed was also torn at the edge. I didn't report any of this because we were barely in the room and only spent two nights. So it did not bother us, however it seems to be an issue. You may need to look into your quality checks.