This is a potentially a super hotel. A great lobby, a good restaurant and bar, friendly staff and a great location with superb views towards South Beach.
Unfortunately I had a pretty bad experience here and ended up checking out early to move to a new hotel. I don’t think I can fault the staff, who were courteous and patient throughout. The problems come from management’s policies, choices and priorities.
Here’s what went wrong:
–My main gripe was that the internet didn’t work. Dire speeds and most websites were just not attainable. On my arrival I spent two hours on the phone to the hotel’s external support provider changing the settings on my computer, disabling my firewall, Windows defender and changing a million different settings. In the end the guy was stumped and phoned the hotel. It turns out that this was a network problem that the hotel knew about but hadn’t bothered to tell the external support provider (or warn arriving guests). So I wasted my first two hours in Miami after a 10 hour flight from Europe in a stressful and pointless way. In fact the internet wasn’t restored during the whole of my four day stay. Staff apologized every time I phoned to find out what was happening– “We are working at it…”. Meanwhile I had to camp out in the bar of the next-door Doubletree Grand and use their free internet (excellent connection!) rather tha neing able to work in private from the room I had paid for. I find it unbelievable that an international business hotel chain like Marriott can’t sort this out – one of the staff confessed that they had been having issues for a while. I wonder how long it would have taken to fix if the Marriott reservations site rather than the guest internet had gone down! Not four days and counting I suspect. In the end I have checked out early and moved to another hotel as I need the internet for my work.
- I booked a “Concierge Level” room – don’t bother – it’s just a standard shoebox room – no fridge, no minibar, the tiniest shampoo and shower gel bottles I have ever seen (only one shower a day for you!) and not even a shoe cleaning sponge. There is also a picture on the website of a “Concierge Level room balcony” which might give you the idea that the Concierge Level rooms have a balcony, well…mine, room 3004, didn’t.
- Note that being in a “Concierge Level” room doesn’t give you access to the “Concierge lounge” with free breakfast. I asked what it did give you and was told that the room had “Superior amenities” – I failed to spot them. Not even a bottle of water. On arriving I phoned down to get a drink sent up “That’ll take 35-40 minutes sir”. So I toasted my arrival in Miami with a glass of lukewarm highly chlorinated Florida tap water from the bathroom.
- I had a few small parcels delivered from Amazon while I was staying here. I was charged USD 7 per parcel by the hotel as a “delivery processing charge”. I have never had this in any another hotel anywhere in the world; I would have thought that receiving mail for guests was part of a hotelier’s standard service – not here!
- The buffet breakfast was pretty good – but when the bill came it had printed on it “gratuity not included”, these words had been also added a second time with a rubber stamp and written a third time in hand by the staff. Why should guests be bullied into paying a gratuity for a self-service buffet? I did all the serving myself apart from bringing a pot of coffee. I know this is not a practice exclusive to Marriott – it is used by anyone in the catering industry who does not pay their staff a living wage… and it should be stopped.
Well, I am sure that this could be a very nice hotel if they sorted out the internet, stopped charging extra for the most basic hotel services and paid their staff properly. Meanwhile I have gone elsewhere never to return.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel Miami
- Marriott Miami