“Excellent property”

Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
Ranked #14 of 125 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel is very clean, rooms have balconies. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance to arenas and public transportation. Short taxi ride to the cruise pier. Can't wait for my next visit.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here end of July for a business trip. The hotel lobby can often be extremely crowded, as was the day of our arrivals.
Restaurant/bar on the ground floor was good, waiter service was great, very pleasant staff.
Although there was a mixup with some of our guest rooms (incorrect allocation of suites etc), it was quickly rectified and the staff were very helpful.
The meeting rooms were good, although towards the end of the week some building works were going on with the escalator on the 3rd floor which was extremely noisy and dusty next to the meeting rooms.
Staff responsible for events and the catering were really helpful, (particularly the guy responsible for our event in a red jacket), and one of the A/V guys too.
Bedrooms: fairly small but good view of the bay. Air conditioning extremely cold in the room, but if you turn it off the room is fine. They are fine for a business trip but would not like it if on a longer vacation- could do with painting/refurbishing. Bathrooms are extremely small and difficult to move in.
Did not use the swimming pool as it was overflowing with children when I tried to go.
In general, reception staff + service good, catering staff excellent. Quality of food was reasonable, in fact quite a good 'healthy' choice especially for a hotel in the US (from previous experience this is not always the case!).

Room Tip: Bay View- the higher up the better (less noise)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Upon my arrival the night before a cruise, I loved the exterior of the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when I entered to see such a great space with fantastic decor. Since I arrived late, I can not comment on the bar or restaurant but I will say this about the room. It was just perfect. We had a had floor overlooking the bay which was amazing especially in the morning when we were able to see the ship we were about to board. Since we had time in the morning we went to the pool and deck and that too had breathtaking views and great space. I really wish I had taken an earlier flight to enjoy my time there more.

However, there is one downfall and that was the surrounding area. While this was in very close proximity to the port, making it ideal for a cruise, the area wasnt the best. As I stated earlier, since we arrived late most food places were already closed. So we decided to walk outside the hotel where we were told there was a Burger King and Checkers on the other side. It wasnt a very far walk but it was a sketchy one. Lots of homeless and/or "shady" people. Being from a big city this didnt phase me too much but it may to those not expecting it. If you need a quick cheapy bite take the walk, its really not THAT bad. Just watch your belongings or better yet, leave them in the hotel.

1  Thank hevin24
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our room was great - nice view, comfy bed, clean shower. The location of the hotel is fair. It's not really in walking distance of anything worthwhile, but it's close to the (free) trolley, and the hotel offers a free shuttle to the beach.

My problem with this hotel is their customer service, which was completely inconsistent and not at all what I expect from the Marriott brand, or from the hospitality industry in general. This started before we even booked the hotel, when we were doing research and deciding where we wanted to stay. We called this hotel to ask about the beach - how close it was, parking, if there were other ways to get there. They provided information about the cost of a cab versus paying for a parking garage at the beach, but never mentioned the free shuttle offered by the hotel. This is probably the best service they offer, and I'm not sure why the person we spoke to wouldn't use this to try to get us to book with them.

We obviously did end up booking a room here, and as we arrived a couple hours before check in time, we got in line at the reception desk to see if our room was ready early, or if we should leave our bags with the concierge until check-in time. There were about 6-8 people in line with us and every single one of them was somewhere on a spectrum between frustrated and angry. The current guest in line was offended and angry because the MANAGER was rude to him and gave him attitude. Lady, I understand that the guest is an idiot and you're tired of explaining to people that their key cards are deactivated because they can't keep the cards away from their electronics, but come on! Just politely explain that to him and take care of it! Then a couple people were frustrated and/or annoyed because the manager (who is not at all diplomatic) had everyone who was checking out cut the line (something I have never seen in all my years of travel). And finally, everyone was angry because the manager kept pulling people from the "Elite" line to cut our lines. I think that is probably the most appalling lack of customer service I have ever seen at a Marriott. Basically that is saying that unless you are an "Elite" member and pay extra you are undeserving of good service. In the hospitality industry that is an egregious error. This hotel needs to figure out a better way to accommodate those Elite members without making it blatantly at the expense of us regular folk. Anyways, we waited in line (with only one person in line ahead of us) for over 20 minutes before we just decided to leave our bags with the concierge. When we came back hours later to check in, we had a much better experience with a very pleasant gentleman.

Other examples of inconsistent customer service: when we arrived someone had our bags out of the cab before we even paid the driver; but when we went to dinner there was no one to hail a cab for us. During our 4 days there, there was consistently either 3-4 people standing around talking (when they weren't doing their jobs that is), or else no one in sight.

The maid(s) was great, but then on our second-to-last day she didn't replace our coffee/coffee cups, so I couldn't make coffee on our last day (would've been easy to make a phone call except I didn't notice it until the morning we were checking out).

I don't think I ever saw a Marriott employee at the pool. This could go one of two ways. If you are the kind of person who doesn't care if your (or other people's) kids are running around the pool, doing cannonballs practically on your head, and splashing everyone, it's great. If you are the kind of person who wants to drink your beer or margarita in the pool, it's great. (All of these expressly against the posted pool rules, by the way.) If you are the kind of person who thinks it's disgusting when another guest's used paper napkin from room service that has been sitting on the poolside table for hours flies into your face, or who doesn't like wading through piles of empty Solo cups and Coke cans to get to the pool, it's not so great.

I can't think of a Marriott I've stayed at where the staff isn't consistently pleasant and helpful. This hotel is the exception. If you are sitting/standing in the lobby for example, you are just as likely to get a "What the hell are doing here" look and then be ignored as you are to actually have someone smile and say "hello" or ask if they can help you.

The only exception is Wendy, who works in the hotel's bar/restaurant. She was consistently pleasant and provided great service. She is the only employee at the hotel who didn't make me feel like I was bothering her for being a guest there.

Next time we are in Miami we won't stay at this Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia S
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great location near cruise ports, arenas and South Beach. Staff is always great here. Hotel and rooms are getting a bit old. Clean, but dated and time for a refurb. Parking is extra and quite pricey. Stocked with the usual great bedding and pillows.

Room Tip: Ask ahead for higher floors facing the marina.
2  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My teenage son and I stayed here two weeks ago for three nights. Our flight arrived early and I called ahead to see if we could possibly check in early at 12:30. "No problem," I was told. Check-in was a breeze and we were given a room on the 15th floor. I happened to ask about the complimentary shuttle to South Beach while we were checking in and we got the last two reservations for the day for the outbound and return. Make shuttle reservations early! View from our room was very nice, overlooking the water and downtown. Although the bathroom was quite small, the room was average size and just fine for the two of us. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean, I might add. Each staff member we had contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Not sure why some of the reviews say they had a problem with noise. We did not hear a peep in the halls or from our neighbors the whole time. I would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank AlamoCityLady
MarriottMiami, Manager at Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Greetings!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We was there 1 night , and we was disapointed.Parkinggarage much overpriced , extremly smal , old , dark and the lift was not verry trustfull . In the 1. room what they give us was the toilett not working.In the 2. room was the TV remote not working , the AC verry loud , the fan in the bathroom was running thru the night and the bathroom door blockt .Service staff was frendly , room clean , view perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hi JohnSt_Petersburg,

Thanks so much for taking the time to compose a review on TripAdvisor. I have personally shared your feedback with our engineering team so we can focus on the AC units and plumbing. We pride ourselves on exceptional service so we are pleased to hear that we hit the mark on this during your stay.