“Perfect for my needs”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect for my needs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel the day before we set sail on our 7 Night Cruise out of the Port of Miami. My father got some inside scoop on how to get this hotel for only $89 a night. What a steal. Normally if you were to book this hotel on expedia, travelocity, etc. it's $219 per night. The location is perfect for anyone who is planning a cruise and wants to arrive the night before. Its at $8 cab ride to the Port of Miami and the cabs are always flowing. When we checked in, we asked the receptionist for a water view room. It was only $20 more for this room, but we thought it was worth it because of the how cheap we got the room. The room was spacious and very clean. The beds were very comfortable.The view that we had of the port of Miami and the water was excellent. We saw dolphins from our room and it was great. We had great access to Bayside. I've been there a few times before and it was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Bayside. We went to dinner and did a little shopping. We woke up early the next morning and watched our ship, The Norweigan Epic, come into port. The hotel has a Starbucks located in the lobby. We got up and had coffees in the morning. We got ready to leave and all you had to do to check out is to drop your keys off in a quick drop off box. It was so easy. The only downfall of the hotel is that the additional hotel staff in the spa are not friendly at all. My mother and I went for a walk around the hotel to explore it and we ended up in the spa and pool area. We wanted to see what the pool looked like and where it was located. The ladies that worked at the spa and entrance to the pool totally ignored us when we asked them questions. Working in retail and with the public, its very important for one to be acknowledged. Other than that, we had a an excellent time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Hotel Intercontinental Miami is way past due for some renovations. In a word, this hotel is subpar to the Intercontinental brand. The lobby is nice, but that is where it ends. When we got off the elevator, the smell of musty carpet met us in the hallway. As we walked toward our room, I couldn't help but notice the dust that had collected where the edge of the carpet met the wall down the entire hallway. I held my breath as we opened the room door. I was secretly hoping and praying the room would be better.

Unfortunately, the room wasn't better. The same musty carpet smell filled the room. I walked into the bathroom and saw the re-caulked shower and dingy floors. The dust-bunnies were hanging out in the crevices here as well. What a disappointment. All I kept thinking was: I left my slippers at home and I really don't want to walk on this disgusting floor. I had a slice of cheesecake from earlier that I wanted to refrigerate, so I went to put it in he refrigerator. Well, first of all you can't use the refrigerator for personal items because it's a high tech (packed to the rim) mini bar that's rigged to charge you if any item is moved for 1 minute or more (read the fine print) - even if you put the item back in it's place unused. Okay, after reading the fine print and after looking at the mold in the crevices of the refrigerator, I decided I didn't want to leave my food in there anyway.

For $300+ per night, it is definitely not worth it. This old, dingy, overpriced hotel is charging astronomical rates based on a brand name it does not live up to.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stay here when traveling on business to Miami. Hotel is located at a good spot, close to downtown and Bayside. Rooms are ample, beds comfortable. Room service is average. Overall my stays have been satisfactory and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here at the InterContinental of Miami. When we checked in we were offered an upgrade for a small fee of $20. We took them up on it and got a beautiful view of the water and cruise ships! We had received our room on one of the discount sights for under $100 so we felt we had hit gold! One thing I noticed that made this place stand out was the wonderful smell in the halls and rooms. It was like walking into a spa. The bed was ohhh soo comfy..we slept GREAT. Bayside was the perfect tourist spot. Meals at the hotel are very pricey so we grabbed a quick breakfast from the Starbucks located inside. The room is a little dated but for our discount price, we were very happy and would go back in a second!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

Stayed here for a business conference & I understand why the organizers picked it--it has flash and is right on the water. But I wish it had been somewhere else as the things that matter--like, oh, say, being able to sleep without the next door neighbor's toilet flush waking you up--weren't quite there. I have stayed in some very nice places that were worth every penny, but this is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing majorly WRONG; it was just big time overpriced for what you get and had walls as thin as a college dormitory.

The pool here, though, to their credit, is amazing.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel pre-cruise. The location was wonderful and the hotel overall was fantastic. The hotel room itself was an average 4 Star room, a bit older but very nice. The lobby was georgous. The Bayside shopping center was just a walk away with lots of options. Our friends had an overpriced, not so great meal at the hotel but we didn't try the restaurant. We did go to Starbucks for breakfast muffins and coffee and it was good. The Make a Wish Foundation fundraiser was being held there that evening so there was a lot of commotion in setting up, but service was good. I would highly recommend this hotel to travelers. The pool area is very, very nice-but it was too cold to use it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank DebbieSanAntonio
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

This hotel is past its 25th anniversary and while the lobby, views and the building itself are still amazing, as soon as you step into your room you could tell that the luxury years of this hotel are behind. I would qualify it as a nice 4 star. Service standards are of the same quality. This is not as bad if you consider that you usually can get rates between USD 100 and 150 using several internet sites. Those rates will entitle you to the most basic room but when arriving you are offered to upgrade to a bayside looking room for around 20 a night, which is a pretty good deal. It is not reasonable to pay their rack rates (above USD 250 in most cases).

Another annoying problem with this hotel is that it charges extra for everything, and I mean everything. I was never before charged for “handling” an Amazon Package (6.25 each!) or storing my luggage after check-out, among other odd charges. If you are not using any extra then you are fine, but otherwise be careful or your bill will be very inflated at check-out.

Regarding location, I would recommend the hotel for business or cruise travelers, but not for Beach or nightlife lovers since the trip to South Beach is 40 min. by bus or otherwise you have to pay USD 35 + tips to valet park at the hotel. However it is safe and near the Bayside Marketplace with the convenience of being connected by the free Metromover to other downtown locations.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business