“very good” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
blackpool ,uk
“very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

pre cruise stay for one night. we thought the hotel was very clean spacious and comfortable,would have been nice to have a few more nights there although the breakfast prices were very expensive.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank glyn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
so cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

We stayed here pre and post cruise and loved it. We booked through Priceline for $85 each night when the hotels website had the rooms listed at $225. You should never pay full price for a hotel room. Do the research, there is always a better deal out there. In 2003 we stayed at the Hyatt downtown and we liked the InterContinental much more. (although the Hyatt has balconies and the Inter doesn't). At checkin I asked for a port view and was told it would be $20 extra. Well worth it to see the ships pull into port in the morning. The rooms and bathrooms are both oversized. Bedding was terrific. We didn't eat at the hotel but did have pre-dinner and post-dinner drinks in the hotel bar. Very good service, decent priced drinks(for a hotel bar), and I even talked to basketball player Gary Peyton at the bar. Nice guy. Bellman and Front desk were both great. Didn't use the pool, but did sit in the hot tubs the last night. Talk about a view! Starbucks is nice to have in the lobby for a morning treat. There isn't much downtown except bayside marketplace and there are a couple good local restaurants there that should be tried. Would we stay here for a vacation, NO! But for a 1 night stay before a cruise there isn't a better deal in Miami.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank cruisedude22
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Miami at an ABA conference. We had a nice stay, but if we hadn't been at a conference there I would definitely stay somewhere else.

LOCATION: The hotel was right downtown, which is good and bad. There are no decent restaurants nearby and the downtown area is pretty empty after work hours. There is a mall within walking distance, but the food there is mostly touristy stuff (Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, etc.) nothing decent. I was very happy we had a car, because there is great food to be had in that town -- especially in South Beach.

SERVICE: we thought the room service, concierge and other services were terrific. We stayed in an concierge floor (for more money) so we were able to get a light breakfast and an evening social hour with food and drinks every day. Checkout was eassy, and we did not find any unwarranted charges on our bill as some have complained about. I opened the mini-bar but didnt take anything out, and there was no charge on the bill.

ROOM: I thought the rooms were average, the bathrooms were pretty dated, but the beds were terrific. It looks like they tried to update the hotel, but didnt make it to the bathrooms. Overall I thought the hotel was fine, but I would rather be in South Beach.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Mark P
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

The hotel is well-located in downtown Miami amidst a building blitz, near the port and Bayside Mall. I was there for a conference and the conference accomodations were fine. Food was average. The room was comfortable but definitely in need of updating, especially the closet area. No real intereaction with staff, didn't use room service. Nice, small restaurant poolside. Bayside Mall is definitely miss-able, a real tourist type with cheap merchandise.

• Liked — Location if one wants to be in downtown Miami - not Miami Beach or South Beach, nice lobby
  • Disliked — Dated rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank CNPH
NE Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

I'm always very satified when I visit the Intercontinental. The bed is comfortable and the room is well appointed. Now that they've added a Starbucks in the lobby I'm even happier! (I'm addicted to the lemon pound cakes.)

Our most recent stay was for 4 nights prior to leaving for a cruise. Staying downtown provided easy access to all points of interest (we love Coconut Grove & South Beach) and it's minutes from the Port of Miami.

My only complaint is for the valet service as one of the drivers broke something on my gear shift during a previous visit and that claim has been ignored since the day I completed the forms. At $29 per day for parking you should get your car back just as it is given. But not even that small incident will keep me away for the Interconti.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cokosmomma
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

We stayed here for three nights pre- cruise at the end of November. We got a GREAT deal at about £70 per night on [--]- in fact I have checked prices since, and this really was a very good rate!

I have read some of the negative reviews of this hotel, but must say that we had a very good experience. The reception staff were polite, the bell men were great and the concierge could not have been more helpful. The location is good, close to Bayside and with the metro mover very close by.

We got a very comfortble room on the 26th floor over looking the bay, which meant we could see the cruise ships in the morning. Big bathroom with separate dressing area and plenty of towels and toiletries.

We never ate in the hotel although we had a few drinks in the bar. For breakfast we simply strolled across to Bayside which has plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from.

If you can get a good rate, I would definitely recommend staying here pre or post cruise.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bridgechick
Southeast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

Well the purpose of my letter and the reason I am writing to you is to let you know that two of my friends who flew in from Los Angeles, CA and were staying at your hotel and I had quite horrible service at your Indigo restaurant.

I picked up my friends at Miami International Airport on Saturday, January 27th approximately at 5 PM. I drove them to your hotel to check in and then we decided we would like to eat and the concierge told us that Indigo was convenient and located on the premises. My friends and I were seated promptly. The restaurant was not busy. There weren’t many people seating in the dining area. In fact, most of the tables were free. Granted the hotel was crowded with guests arriving for the Atlantis cruise, but most of them were in the bar area and not inside Indigo.

We waited about 20 minutes to be greeted by a waiter. At which time we told him we were ready to order. He told us that he would take the drink order and come back for the rest of the order. We reminded him that we were ready to order and he interrupted us to only say, “I will only take your drink order for now!”

About 15 minutes later our drinks arrived. The waiter then took our order. About 20 minutes passed and our drinks were empty. The waiter was no where in sight. We asked another waiter who was passing by if we could get refills, and he simply glared at us and told us that we needed to tell our server. Alas, our waiter did not return or was even visible for quite some time. Another 20 minutes passed at which time my friend got up and went to the hostess stand to request to see a manager. About 15 minutes later a dark haired man in a blue suit approached our table. We told him that we still did not receive our food or even refills. He said he would take care of things. Another 20 minutes passed at which time a lemonade was delivered to our table but no other drinks. Mind you, I was having lemonade, my friend was drinking Diet Coke, and his friend was having water with lemon. These are not alcoholic drinks from the bar. This is not something that requires this long of a time frame to prepare and deliver to the table.

Another 20 minutes passed. By now we decided we would leave the hotel and go dine elsewhere. As we were leaving I informed a brunette named “Monica” that the service was horrible and that we were left waiting for such a long time. Meanwhile, the table next to us got seated AFTER us and they received their meal AND already had dessert and paid their check and were leaving before us!

Monica merely said she knows and that there was nothing she could do. She didn’t apologize or even sympathize with the situation. Obviously this must be a regular occurrence at Indigo!

To make matters worse, my friend Jeff found out the hotel charged his credit card 4 times for his one night stay. Granted, they offered to upgrade him to a larger room. But this was such a horrible and unacceptable experience I wanted to make sure I informed you of what is going on in your hotel.

Stayed January 2007