“Top rate hotel - stingy with service”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #9 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Top rate hotel - stingy with service”
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Hotel is great - nice view, beautifully appointed rooms BUT beware - do not touch anything in the fridge as the items are electronically monitored and if you so much as lift something up for more than 30 seconds, even if you did not consume it, it will go into your bill. You will not be able to use the fridge in the room as it is well stocked up with drinks, etc. Intercontinental offers fridge for a fee of $30 a day! Little hotels like La Quinta Inn, Best Western, etc all have fridge in their rooms and do not charge for it. Also, their website says they have internet in the rooms. This is misleading, you still have to pay for use of internet.

Plus point is that it is very close to the Bayside Market place.

• Liked — Clean and beautiful rooms, top=notch hotel
  • Disliked — Not able to use th fridge in the room and you have to pay for internet in the room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Downtown Miami
Reviewed July 28, 2008

One of my collegues spoke to Enrique to request to have an international newspaper to be printed in advance and have it readily available at the front desk for me. I made this small request in advance because I know that it takes a good twenty minutes for this special newspaper to print; and I couldn't be late to work. Once I arrived to the front desk I speak to Lauren Perez and advise her that I'm here for the paper. She replies, "There's no paper here!" and her response was accompanied with urban hand gestures, the rolling of eyes, and a clear view that she seemed bothered. I explained that I made this request in advance about 30 minutes ago. She asked if I spoke to someone and I told her. Lauren called Enrique and asked, "Did anyone request a paper?" Once she recieved the response she hung up the phone turned to me and abruptly said, "Nope! No paper!" I continued to say that I'll still wait for the paper because I HAD to show up to work with it. I also added if there was anywhere that I can eat breakfast in the mean time. Lauren suggested Starbucks. I replied, "Is that it?" So then Lauren replies, "Well, everything else in here is too expensive!" That left another bad taste in my mouth. Why is she assuming its too expensive for me? Isn't she supposed to promote the hotel? Who is she to judge? Is she implying that I can't afford it? I ignored her and proceeded to the hotel restaurant for breakfast which clearly was not expensive. The restauarant was very good and the waiter Vincente was very clean, prompt, and attentative. The eggs benedict were cooked perfectly with a correct portion of potatos. Overall a good experience at the restaurant. When I was done I went back to the front desk to pick up the paper and another agent Patricia helped me. Patricia was very kind, attentive, and professional by asking if there was anything else that she can assist me with. I thanked her very much and went on my way.

• Liked — The restaurant and service.
  • Disliked — Front desk employee Lauren Perez's attitude.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank CHIZLMINIZL
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Was here for a conference that was split between the main convention center and opera house/hall that collectively comprise the Arsht Center (previously known as the Carnival Center).

The hotel's location is probably the best location of any hotel downtown. Across the street from a Metromover station, right on the waterfront (with wonderful views of Biscayne Bay), 5-minute walk to Bayside Market. This area of downtown probably has the most restaurants/shopping of anywhere in downtown (as the area north of the causeway is a wasteland and Brickell is pretty much a business district). Not exactly convenient to Miami Beach or South Beach, but $1.50 direct bus ride gets you to both in about 1/2 hr.

Didn't try the restaurant or bar as I had heard they were extraordinarily expensive. For us, the Starbucks worked as an acceptable breakfast option and all the restaurants at Bayside Market provided plenty of variety and prices ranges.

Room was small but with a view to die for and convention rate was reasonably priced. Furnishings were in good condition and housekeeping was thorough (although slow, they typically didn't start working until mid to late afternoon and we needed to hang out in the lobby more than once while they were finishing up).

Unfortunately, the pool is only open during daylight and one must walk through the spa in order to get to it (very odd layout). Nothing special about the pool area but attendants were attentive.

Now to the nickel and diming. A $3/day housekeeping fee was added to the final bill. When asked about it, we were told that it was in lieu of a housekeeping tip and it was only added on the final five days of our stay (we were there nine nights altogether). So apparently, if you don't tip housekeeping staff, you get reported and it is added to your bill. We were also billed for a bottle of red wine (which we never even saw in the room) and a number of items from the fridge (which was opened and items removed to make space for a gallon of milk but the items were replaced by us the next day). We explained to reception that we didn't consume any of the items and that housekeeping never 'replenished' anything (as we put the original items back in the fridge) and reception was very good about taking the charges off our bill. Didn't go for the $12/day internet access because the conference provided internet terminals (what is it with 4 & 5* hotels charging an arm and a leg for wireless, but motel chains give it to you for free?).

As long as your careful about the nickel and diming, this is a stylish hotel in an excellent location.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — incidental charges
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven S
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel is quite expensive. I was travelling on business, the hotel is luxury and well located, this is ok. However the remaining it does not worth the high prices. The service is just regular, the vallet price (if you rent a car) is out of this world - too expensive, the breakfast too. Even if you travel on business, I recommend you to save some dollars and patience staying at hyatt regency next to it.

• Stayed May 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I got my room for $128 on Hotwire.

I LOVED this hotel! We stayed there one night, during a 3 night Memorial Weekend stay with the other two nights being in SoBE.

I loved loved loved this hotel! I wish we could've stayed there the entire time. Check in was painless. There was no line and no hassles at the front desk. The elevator service was quick and our room was easy to find. The lobby and room decor was brightly colored and very contemporary. The hotel has a very metropolitan feel. The guy at the front desk was great.

We didn't spend much time in the room because we were in MIAMI and ready to party! My only complaint is that ordered room service late that night and they never delivered it to my room. I wasn't too upset though because I was a little tipsy so I just fell asleep. The next morning I ordered breakfast in and they delivered that very promptly. At check in they tried to charge me for the room service that never came but once I explained what happened they immediately fixed the mistake.

The hotel is about a $20 cab ride from South Beach so if you stay there but plan to visit SoBe you should keep that in mind.

I don't have any complaints about the hotel and I would stay there again.

• Liked — The Decor
  • Disliked — far from sobe
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
seaford, new york
Reviewed May 9, 2008

The hotel is very clean. I stayed for a conference. The pool area is nice, not quite big enough. The beach is a 15.00 cab ride away so realize that this hotel is in the city. The plus side is the bayside market.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I booked this hotel through easyclicktravel.com for $250 a night. I would have never paid the listed rate of $550.00! My best friend and I stayed here for 1 night before our cruise the next day. We were on the 25th floor & paid a $30 upgrade fee for a view of the cruise port ~ it was worth it. What a beautiful hotel. The staff were all super friendly & very helpful. Our room was fantastic with two very comfy queen beds and a wall of windows overlooking the bay and shopping area. The bathroom was huge with a wonderful tiled shower & big tub. The sink, vanity & closet area were separated by a door from the toilet and shower. There was also a very plush bathrobe available. Beware of the mini bar! The items inside were very expensive & if you as much as lifted them out of their spot, you were immediately charged for that item. Somehow the fridge was electronically connected to the front desk. We were able to walk right over to Bayside Marketplace for lots of shopping, restaurant choices and live music. In the morning we took advantage of the Starbucks located right in the lobby of the hotel. We went ahead & checked out early but asked if we could leave our bags with the porter. They charged us $1.00 per bag which is not much, but we felt was really not fair. We could have just left them in the room & checked out later. We said as much but they would not budge. So we just let that per bag charge be their tip for putting the luggage in the taxi when we came back. Overall a wonderful hotel & I would definitely stay there again. Very up to date with all the modern conveniences & absolutely spotless. Fantastic views. Short walk for shopping & restaurants. Five minutes from the cruise port.

• Liked — Proximity to Shopping & Cruise Port
  • Disliked — $1.00 per bag holding fee at Porters Desk
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends