“Excellent Hotel”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #6 of 124 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed here one night, just wish that it could have been longer.
Check-in was excellent, friendly and efficient. We were given a lovely room with a fantastic view of Miami port, beach and Biscayne Bay.
The room was very spacious, luxurious and well maintained and cleaned. The bathroom was far better than most hotels with its own walk-in shower with a double head. I could have stayed in the room all day just enjoying the wonderful view.
Every member of staff we came into contact with was superb especially the concierge from Haiti. He was particularly friendly and stored our bags for us while we took a cruise round the bay.
The swimming pool is the only facility which is a bit disappointing as it is overshadowed by neighbouring buildings and so does not receive much sunlight.
The location is great, right next to the monorail and bus stop for buses to Miami Beach and all over the city. Bayside shopping area is just a short walk away.
I used to stay here on business many years ago and am pleased to see that that this hotel has just got better and better over the years.

Room Tip: High floors for the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear heb999,

Thank you for the excellent review. A stay at our hotel is never too short and we are glad that you enjoyed your mini-vacation with us. Indeed, the location is great as we are close to many of the area's top attractions as well as ample transportation options. Thank you for the compliments on our friendly and efficient staff and spacious and luxurious guestrooms. We will only continue to get better and better. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our vibrant city.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Miami

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is gorgeous and the staff are wonderful! The rooms are clean, spacious, and a bay view room offers just that, a stunning view of the bay. I just don't understand how a business class hotel in downtown Miami, that has multiple conference rooms and caters to conferences, lectures, and meetings does not offer free wifi! This was painful! Management should reconsider this policy and offer wifi for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room.
1  Thank Aggs_TO
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Aggs_TO,

Thank you for your review and the wonderful comments on our gorgeous hotel and wonderful staff. Indeed, cleanliness is one of our top priorities and we are glad that you noticed. We also thank you for your comments about the wifi. We will make sure to share your comments with the entire staff as we are continually re-evaluating our standards to better the overall guest experience. We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Miami, whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed April 18 - 21. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. It's modern, elegant and detail oriented. My husband attended a conference and we extended our trip to a vacation.
Upon check-in we were greeted by Stephanie who was charming and professional. She offered us the Ambassador Membership and upgraded us from a regular room to a Suite. The suite was stunning with a beautiful view of the ocean. Each day fresh fruit was delivered, with two bottles of water and either a bag of mixed nuts, chocolate covered almonds or chocolate pretzels. We were so happy with the room and Stephanie's recommendations, that we commended her to her manager Carlos Perez....who was also extrememly pleasant to deal with. This was by far the best check-in experience we have ever had at a hotel. Stephanie made it PERFECT!!
Next came the Lounge Access. That was awesome!!! We had breakfast there daily which consisted of steel cut oatmeal, all kinds of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, muffins, cheeses and all the bread types you could ask for...all types of fresh juice too. The staff in the lounge, specifically Hector and Florangel were professional and such a pleasure to deal with. Just absolutely wonderful people and very accomodating. I joked one morning with Hector and asked "do you have warm blankets"...he replied "Not here, but I can get one for you"....I couldn't believe how willing they are to do anything to make your stay perfect! Truly unbelievable. Florangel offered us a very late checkout when we told her our flight was not until 10pm.....we didn't even have to ask. They do everything here to make your stay PERFECT!! Another young gentleman that worked in the lounge was phenomenal too, I am sorry that I can't remember his name. A young, muscular man, such a cutie...I asked him about local jewellery stores and he pointed one out to me from the window and told me how to get there. Two minutes later, while I was having my breakfast, he came over to me and handed me a piece of paper, it had the store name, days it was open, hours of operation and the exact street address. I didn't even ask for it.....just awesome, awesome staff!!! Concierge was so knowledgable and friendly and answered everything about everything!! You will definately LOVE this place and will be treated like royalty. I recommend upgrading to the Ambassador membership....well worth the experience and it totally pays for itself.
p.s. if you drink, the Lounge has a 'Happy Hour' with unlimited drinks and delicious finger foods! We skipped dinner after Happy Hour as we were so full....
Definately can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Ambassador Club and get the Suite....stunning!!

Dear Youssef01,

Thank you for the amazing review. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your entire experience at the InterContinental Miami, so much so that you extended your trip. No matter the length of stay, the hotel is excellent for relaxing and unwinding. Thank you for the compliments on the look to our hotel as well as our hospitable staff. Indeed, they are always on hand to provide guests with whatever they may need; no request is too large or inconvenient. We love pampering our guests and it's the little details that make the difference! We are also glad that you had the opportunity to experience the Club InterContinental Lounge as it is truly a one of a kind place, an oasis within paradise. We will make sure to let all of our staff know that they contributed to a memorable experience. We look forward to being your choice hotel on future trips to Miami and please let us know how we can make any future stays even more exemplary.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My recent stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami exceeded my expectations. My husband and I were attending a family wedding in Miami and the location was ideally located for all the events. Check-in and check-out were fast, with very professional and courteous front desk personnel. The hotel staff was very accommodating to all of our needs, from early check-in to our room which was also extended to others in our party, to last minute requests from the bride-to-be while her bridal court was getting ready for the celebrations. The special amenities and welcoming note left in the room by Mr. Lee gave our stay that special touch of “I know why you chose my hotel; let me make it a memorable stay for you!”
The view from my room was amazing, facing the water and the Port of Miami and small islands surrounding it. Sleeping was very restful, the mattress and pillows were just right for a very good night sleep. The room was kept very clean and had all the amenities that give you the comfort of home away from home. I was able to brew a fresh cup of coffee for my husband and me to get us going before heading to Café Ole for a great buffet style breakfast. The waiters greeted us with a friendly smile and promptly served us our coffees. The buffet offered a large variety of items, hot or cold and an omelet station ready to cook to your liking.
Eventhough our stay happened during what seemed a busy, rainy day, service was offered with a smile from every person we came in contact with.
In all, the hotel stay helped make the occasion more memorable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cecilia R,

We love reading comments like yours. Thank you for the great review and we are absolutely thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. We love to provide a memorable experience to all of our guests, especially when celebrating some of life's most exceptional moments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience at Ole and thank you for the compliments on our fantastic staff, comfortable guestrooms and cleanliness. We look forward to providing many more wonderful memories and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was there for a meeting. The meeting facilities and service was excellent. The food was very good. The meeting rooms were nice, pleasant with good acoustics.

The hotel rooms were a nice size, the beds comfortable and the rooms very clean. The hotel was generally clean through-out.

The in room amenities were nice.

Parking was by valet. There is public parking immediately in front of the hotel but it does not allow over night parking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear YRHips,

Wow, thank you for the great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your entire experience including the meetings portion of your stay. We strive to provide a top notch experience to all of our guests and we are glad to have surpassed your expectations. Thank you for the compliments on our fantastic food, meeting facilities, guestroom size and cleanliness. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay, whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for almost a week, attending my organization's annual meeting. The location of the hotel is very good, with views of Biscayne Bay and a large city park. However, because the hotel building is a three-sided tower, you may get a room with neither of these views, looking out on a nearby building, instead. The lobby is very large, with small clusters of chairs, surrounding "interactive coffee tables," which were really large touch-screens, supposedly to provide tourist information, drink menus, and other information. However, the few I tried had already suffered a software freeze or they froze up soon after trying to use them. The lower lobby has one of the ugliest fountains I've ever seen--a large lumpy rock in a pool of water.

Another feature in the lobby that carries over onto the exterior of the building is an elaborate LED lighting display. In the lobby it takes the form of large square glass pillars that cycle through the various colors of the lights. Outside, the entire building is clad in the lights, which cycle through simple color changes, then spell out WELCOME, and then, a naked woman pole dancing on the three sides of the building. Truly the tackiest thing I've seen in a long time, and certainly not up to the Intercontinental reputation for class. And the exterior lighting is actually a part of each guestroom's window--a light fixture that runs along the top of each window. Fortunately, the electrically operated blinds block out the light, which is a good thing since the LED display seems to go on all night. The window had a deep shelf, like a seat, which, with a couple of pillows borrowed from the bed, would make a nice place to read or enjoy the view.

The room itself was very nice. The bathroom was granite with a large closet and well-lit sink area. The shower had a double headed fixture--a nice touch. One quirk was the odd placement of the toilet paper holder. Not being double-jointed, I ended up removing the roll and putting it on the floor within reach.

The bed rested on a plywood pedestal, covered in cloth, but not padded. It projects out from the corners of the bed, something I found out in the middle of the night, when I cracked my knee on the sharp corner so hard, I ended up with a large bloody gash. BEWARE!

The desk area was well set up for getting work done, with good lighting and access to electric outlets and the internet, which worked well for my entire stay.

The hotel's fitness area is well-appointed, but it's located at the end of a maze of hallways with terrible signage. And although it's supposed to be "open" 24 hours a day, it really isn't. Every evening, I had to call to get someone to let me in, because my key card didn't open the door, although the desk clerk assured me it would.

The annual meeting went fine, with no apparent hitches. One evening, some of us had a special dinner scheduled at "Table 40," which is a private dining room attached to the hotel kitchen and serviced directly by the chef and his staff. Although the food was great, well presented, and in ample supply, the idea that you're "looking in on the kitchen" is a myth. There is one glass wall in the room that looks into the kitchen, but it's where they store excess pots and pans, so you never even get a glimpse of the chef cooking. Given the ugly view, frosted glass would have been preferable.

One piece of advice--the hotel has a Starbucks, and I suggest you go there. The hotel's coffee was absolutely terrible. The running joke was that Starbucks gave the hotel its awful stuff for free, to encourage people to head for the barista.

So overall, not a bad experience, but certainly not up to the level of quality I've experienced at other Intercontinentals elsewhere.

Room Tip: Only the north- and east-facing rooms have nice views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear mchlwch,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We are glad that you enjoyed touches of your stay, but disappointed that it did not completely meet your expectations. We recently completed a $32 million renovation and added a series of new technological additions to our hotel along with the traditional additions like guestroom and bathroom upgrades. Again, we are disappointed that the upgrades did not meet your expectations. Please know that we take your comments seriously and that we have addressed the faulty problems with the table touch screens with our technicians. Thank you for the comments on Table 40, again, we will make sure to share your comments with our staff. We are glad that you enjoyed the comforts in our guestrooms, the fluidity of your overall conference and your spectacular dining experience at Table 40. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great InterContinental experience on your next trip to our vibrant city.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very nice hotel and if your staying club level also very nice. The only downside to me is the pool. The pool is very nice but don't expect any sun after 1:00 p.m. Apparently the hotel was built before the apartments that went up smack against the pool area.
I didn't feel very comfortable with those living in the apartments all on their little balcony watching me and again, after lunch that sun goes behind those apartments and you don't see it anymore. I'm a pool person so for me I'm not thrilled with the pool's location.
I've had my ups and downs with the staff at one time had to be rushed to the ER and they didn't seem to care about my well being afterwards.
Overall, a very nice hotel and restaurants are nice and it's close to the outdoor shopping area.

Room Tip: No balconies
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Christine P,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed the Club InterContinental Lounge. It truly is an oasis within paradise. We are sorry to hear your comments about the pool. Indeed, the hotel was constructed prior to the apartment building in 1982. Nevertheless, it's a great place to relax and the attached Blue Water Restaurant offers great light bites with an unbeatable view. Safety is our #1 priority and please know that we take all of our guest's safety seriously. We are sorry to know that we did not meet those expectations. We will make sure to share your comments with our staff to ensure those types of experiences do not occur again. Should your travels bring you back to Miami, we hope that you will stay with us again and please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning a future stay.