“Great location with view of Biscayne Bay and the waterway.”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #7 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Yellowknife, Canada
“Great location with view of Biscayne Bay and the waterway.”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very attractive lobby area, located next to park and mall in the middle of downtown, Minutes from cruise port. Dinner at Toro Toro was pricey but excellent! Room was spacious with very nice view. What I liked least is that security is lacking. They allow pan-handling literally on their step. I was approached twice on the same day from the same person.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear YKJewel,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your accommodations. Indeed, our guestrooms are spacious and offer spectacular views of both downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay. Thank you for the comments about our security. Please know that we take comments like yours seriously and that it has been addressed with our staff. We can assure you that our hotel is one of the safest locations in downtown Miami. We are glad that you were able to experience some of the sights and sounds of our city. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Miami.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I spent the New Year's eve at the Hotel Intercontinental Miami and it was a great experience.
I couldn't ask for more. Excellent views and delicious food at Toro Toro restaurant. The hotel employees were very polite and helpful. One of my best New Year's ever.

Sonia M.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear SMENEZES34438,

Happy New Year! We are so thrilled that you spent the new year celebrations at our hotel and that you had a great experience. In our opinion, that is the best way to kick off a fantastic new year. Thank you for the compliments on our staff, excellent guestroom views and delicious food at Toro Toro. We look forward to welcoming you back for another holiday stay or weekend getaway soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 4, 2013

With its grand marble entrance, water fountain light show, the latest Porsche on display and a very attentive bellman greeting you immediately upon arrival, the Intercontinental Miami (at 100 Chopin Plaza Miami, FL 33131) gives a first impression of being a well-kept higher end lodging selection. But once you get past being impressed with its good looks you'll notice some things are a little off with this place and it's not at all as high end as it would like to be.

Strike one:
Check in confusion. So, for about 3 minutes I am taken by the beauty of the full wall of monitors on display behind the reception desk and another similarly gorgeous display near the elevators. The monitors are streaming gorgeous images of the city and views of the water but wait... I'm still standing here .....and no one is tending to me and wait a minute, where am I supposed to stand again ..... because at this point everyone is walking around all over the place and I'm not quite sure.... Um... Now, I realize that the two people working behind the front desk have made like to no progress at all in getting their guests checked in.... Consequently, there's a line growing behind and to the side of me with other similarly confused people who don't know what to do or where to stand or who may also be momentarily be taken in by the beauty of the place...

Strike 1b.
Nothing major here, but for a place that looks so super expensive why does the front desk lady look like she can't afford a washcloth, a hair comb or an iron?

Strike 1c or maybe just a side bar:
The second attendant at the front desk really wanted to be fancy to match the look and feel of this hotel. I can tell that he really and truly did. He had an awkward part in his little hair, which when combine with his strange suit conspired to make him look like an extra from the movie "Harlem Nights". I guess that was his most recent frame of reference for corporate or "fancy" attire, unfortunately.

I'm just noting the blatant duality of this place.

Strike Two: The Bed
Let's just hope that's actually an old ketchup or barbecue sauce stain on the foot area of the comforter :/ . How about yuck and nasty. Who missed that? Just goes to show you, the cleaning staff is trying to do as little as humanly possible and they did not change and/ or look at the linens on that bed. We requested fresh linens.

Strike Three: Filth
Long dark gross hairs on the bathroom towels... Yuck and gross.

Strike Four: Continued Filth
Lots and lots of long hair all over the bathroom floor and in the corners of the bathroom. Yuck and gross.

Strike Five: Supplies
Just 1 washcloth and 1 towel provided in the bathroom in a room with two beds and two people checked in. We had to request more. Not a biggie but still....

Strike Six: illegal activity...
The strong pungent and incessant smell of marijuana invading our room through either the front door and or the vents. Someone or a group of people were smoking the stuff all night long. I didn't expect to be next to smokers in my nonsmoking room much less end up directly next to marijuana smokers whose second hand smoke gave me a stomach ache and the blues. I found myself saying, "This place is strange" and "I can't wait til we go bed so that we can wake up and leave".

So, in summation the place is very high end looking yet the staff is not high end at all and that's me being nice about it. This place is unclean and is apparently where people go to smoke weed, much like a common Holiday Inn. On upside, our stay was free, so how upset can we actually be about it? It was paid for by miles on my frequent flyer account. If I had spent cash then I would have demanded some semblance of a refund.

On a decent note: the room service was slow but the food was pretty tasty. I’m not into shoestring French Fries but they were good. Also, the view from the room was awesome. We could actually see our cruise ship.

UPDATE: My check in time was at around 1am due to a late flight in from out of town. I mention this because check- out was at noon and the experience was much different. I'd say greatly improved from my check in experience and in all fairness I thought I should mention it. The check-out staff were plentiful adequately/ appropriately groomed and helped me immediately. I did not feel confused about what to do, where to go or wonder if someone was actually going to assist me. The afternoon staff acknowledged my presence immediately. That's the level of service I expect, an immediate acknowledgement even if I only to say "I'll be with you in a moment". Well done afternoon check-out staff.

Perhaps their graveyard shift is of a lower caliber. However, even of that is true it only addresses my aforementioned strikes 1 through 1c. My stay was from 12/15/12 to 12/16/12.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the cruise ships are nice.
2 Thank 266Nik
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear 266Nik,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than memorable stay. We strive for complete guest satisfaction and we are disappointed to not have met your expectations. Please know that we take comments like yours seriously and that the incidents have been addressed with our staff. Rest assured that we do not allow illegal activity in our hotel and such matters are taken seriously and given high priority. Thank you for the compliments on our new look. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a WOW experience. And please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning your next trip to Miami.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I waited a few days before I wrote this to cool down a bit. First this is a first class hotel from a service/comfort view and for this reason I would stay again at this chain.

My concern is with safety or lack of. There was a power failure at about 8am on Saturday December 29th. The hotel was 100% full. When the power went out we simply waited for an announcement on the emergency PA in our room. Nothing! After waiting for over an hour for any news, we decided to take the trip (21 floors) down the stairs. We were surprised that there was no emergency lighting in BOTH the hallways or the stairwells. Since the only windows are in your room, there was no natural light.

Now for the kicker.... the elevators were working!. Unfortunately without an announcement many used the stairs in the dark. They were not happy.

I brought this problem up to managment during the day and all they could say was so sorry. Well that does not cut it. I will bring this up to head office and even the Miami Tourism. They should know about this saftey issue with one of their most highest rated hotels

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Seaslider
Dear Seaslider,

Thank you for your comments. We are sincerely sorry that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than perfect stay at our hotel. Please know that we value your comments as it helps us to improve the overall guest experience and to ensure that these incidents do not occur again. I encourage you to contact me directly if you would like to further discuss the inconveniences you experienced. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with an excellent stay.
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by the smiling front desk agent Claudia P. Claudia is the epitome of a well polished front desk agent, very knowledgable of the property and met all of my inquires and questions with a smile. We were even pointed towards our elevator with the "open palm" gesture (hotel 101). The room is spacious with a stellar view of the city. The decor is modern and chic with a wide open lobby space. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear VPDavis,

Thank you for the great review. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed you stay at the InterContinental Miami and that you were able to experience our signature InterContinental touch. Thank you for noticing! We will make sure to let Claudia know that she contributed to a fantastic and memorable experience. We are glad that know that you will be back and please let us know if we may be of any assistance in planning your future stay with us.
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I arrived at 9pm but they didn't have a room ready so asked us to wait in the restaurant, have something to eat and a drink and they would let us know when the room was ready. That was ok we hadn't eaten and they comped it. Wasn't long before they called us and got us in our room.
Room was modern and clean. We were on the 22nd floor with a partial view of the harbour. They always have the nicest bed and linens. The next morning we were awaken when the ac went off. It got real quiet. The power was off... We waited about 20 mins then decided to head down the stairs to the lobby...we had no water and no phone to find out what was happening. Luckily we met someone in the hall with a flash lite (the hallways were very dark,) he was heading to the elevator. Seems power was on up to the 8th floor.. Got the elevator to the lobby. Asked the security what was going on. She was handing out lite sticks to people heading up,stairs. She didn't know.....she didn't know? There was no announcement on the effected floors, no one even on the floors to explain it wasn't serious and handing out the lite sticks..very poorly handled!! We headed out for breakfast and when we returned the power was back on..so it was off for over an hour or more.
I did like our 2 days stay here. Nice hotel, great staff and location but not sure about the place if something serious happened.

1 Thank kitten50
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear kitten50,

Thank you for your review. We understand your concern about safety and we are sincerely apologetic for the inconvenience you experienced. Please know that our hotel is one of the safest in the area. Again, thank you for your comments as we take them seriously. Thank you for the compliments about our great staff and location. Indeed, we are located in the heart of downtown Miami, in close proximity to some of the area's top attractions. Should your travels bring you back to Miami, we do hope that you will give us another chance to make your stay a great one and please contact me directly should you need any assistance in planning your future stay.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here one night before going on a cruise. From our arrival, everyone was really nice, friendly & helpful. This includes the bell staff outside to the reception staff and the barman. We paid a small bit extra for the bay view and it was worth it - spectacular. I agree with other reviewers that it is poor form for the hotel to charge extra for everything such as internet and even the gym, but we knew this in advance.
We had one special request in advance of our stay, and this was dealt with in an extremely helpful and professional manner by Li-Chyun, the director of the front office.
It's about $20 in a cab to Miami Beach and about $10 to the cruise port.

1 Thank jrcDublin
Dear jrcDublin,

Thank you for the great review. We are located in close proximity to the Port to Miami and the ideal hotel for cruise travelers. At the moment, we do charge for Wi-Fi, but it is available at two speeds and price points. We do also charge a fee for use of the fitness facilities. The views from our guestrooms, whether bay or city, are fantastic. Thank you for the compliments about our friendly staff. We are glad to have met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Miami, whether for business or pleasure.