“Nice Location but they will extra fee you to death ...”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #7 of 125 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel is located on a beautiful location across from a small park and on the waterway. The view from most of the rooms is very good. This was my first stay in an Intercontinental in a while, and I am a Priority Club member - but this hotel reminded my of the airlines -- trying to extra fee me to death.

I arrived on a Monday and was told at checkin that I would get free internet and free "800" calls. I realized on Tuesday that I needed to checkout a day earlier than planned and told the desk. After a conversation behind the desk in Spanish, they informed my I would have to pay $100 early checkout fee even after I stayed 3 days at their hotel. I went to the manager who waved the fee. She was very pleasant and understanding.

I wanted to use the health club for a basic workout -- $15 for that ... when I checked out, they told me I had 1/2 price internet (full price is $17.95 A DAY), not free. They told me I had 7 "800" calls that I had to pay for. I explained that I was told these were free at checkin, and they then comp'ed them.

The rooms were nice and clean ... but I would never choose them again based on my experience.

Room Tip: Plenty of great views so few bad rooms
1  Thank Jim F
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear fletchjhome,

Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Miami. We are glad that you enjoyed your accommodations. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. Please know that we take your comments seriously as we strive towards improving the overall guest experience. We are truly the prime location to stay in Downtown Miami and we are glad that you noticed. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide an exceptional guest experience. Should your travels ever bring you back to Miami, please let us know if we can personally assist you in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

we stayed in this hotel from the 15th Sept to the 19th Sept
and the whole experience was just Amazing ... the location was great for a holiday break
the hotel has a lot going on all around -- 100 yards you have the Bayside with lots of resturants and bars and live open air bands on everynite... also a Hardrock cafe and some shops ... you also have the main stops for the hop on hop off buses plus the water taxis and mini cruise ships to check out the area.... Downtown Miami is just across the road and up a few blocks ... also buzzing during the day .. but wouldnt venture there at nite!!
the hotel rooms, staff and swimming pool were all 5 *

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deano999
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear deano999,

Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation. Indeed, we are located on Biscayne Bay in close proximity to some of the area's hottest attractions like Bayside and South Beach. Additionally, there are lots of great transportation options nearby. Thank you for the suggestion. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy the sights and sounds of our city. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Miami.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I left the hotel really disgusted. I would like to make all of you conscious of their terrible commercial strategy. I ve paid U$S 170 per night but everything I used in the hotel I had to pay it as an extra.
Most services that every regular hotel includes, in this hotel you will have to pay it additionally. Internet, widely included in rmost hotel rates will cost you U$S 17 p/day!( in lobby also) I tried to run in the gym would cost me U$S 15 since Gym is not included!, Parking will cost you U$S 36 as expensive as New york and you dont have any other place to park, coffee pack in inroom coffee maker will cost you U$S 19 and to complete this incredible picture I asked to the concierge to keep my luggage for a couple of hours till I go to the airport and he present me a ticket with a U$S 1 charge per bag!!!! So guys the real price of this hotel would be more than U$S 250... and is not worth that price at all. To make this scene more colorful all the staff of bellboys were violent tip hunters!! I left this old hotel with the sour feeling of having been abused...

Room Tip: Do not be fooled when they said ocean view is a next door building with a rear ocean view.
5  Thank Julio D
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Julio D,

Thank you for your detailed review of the InterContinental Miami. Our sincerest apologies that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than perfect stay at our hotel. Please know that reviews like yours receive high priority attention so that corrective measures can be taken. I assure you we have addressed your comments with the staff. If your travels ever bring you back to Miami,we hope that you will give us a chance to make your stay a great one!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hubby and I stayed a week ago for one night pre-cruise. Everyone was really helpful at the front desk,even the guys that work outside were extremely helpful. I lost my camera and one of the guys outside told me about an electronic store really close to the hotel. I was thankful for that! Rooms are really spacious and the views are beautiful. I wanted a bay view,but they were all sold out :( We had a view of downtown from the 15th floor instead,but we were hardly in the room anyway. We loved the walkway right behind the hotel beside the bay. You could walk all the way to Bayside,but we didn't. We took a cab to South Beach for about $15-17. The cab to the port was about $8. The pool and spa areas are beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again! Matter of fact,we probably will book this for our next year cruise from Miami!

Room Tip: Make sure to visit the pool area for beautiful views!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NellatheDiva126

Dear NellatheDiva126,

Thank you for the exceptional review! Our staff goes above and beyond to fulfill guests’ needs. We are thrilled to know we exceeded your expectations! The InterContinental Miami offers the best location for cruise travelers as we are ideally situated on Biscayne Bay next to the Port of Miami. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the sights and sounds of our city. We are pleased to know that you will be coming back. Please let us know if we can personally assist you in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've stayed in hotels all over the world, but I have never had a more pleasant stay than my recent two nights at the Miami InterContinental. The hotel itself is a competent corporate/convention hotel with great views over Biscayne Bay. Our room was large, quiet, and with all the expected amenities and a few nice luxuries, such as a large walk-in shower with dual shower heads.

But the national treasure at the InterContinental is their uber-concierge, Eduardo Rosello. I am sure Eduardo hands out maps and dining reservations with ease, but he really shines if you let him know why you are visiting and what you'd like to do while in Miami. He will make every possible arrangement, and also give you some real surprises. I'm not going to go into details, but just say that if you drop Eduardo a note at eduardo.rosello@ihg.com before you arrive, he will make your visit very special. Tell him that "atravellingman" at tripadvisor.com sent you.

In addition to Mr. Rosello's services, I recommend paying a few dollars extra for a club level room. The club lounge is very nice, and includes free drinks generously poured at happy hour, a hot breakfast in the morning and light but tasty hors d'oeuvre in the evening. The club also includes a business center, newspapers and more TV choices than a sports bar, but you can still have a quiet conversation or enjoy the view.

The InterContinental follows the recent trend of offering visitors upgrades at reasonable prices at check-in, and I would encourage taking them if offered. However, the better rooms (including club level) are available at reasonable rates in advance, so I suggest you reserve what you want initially, and not count on an upgrade offer.

In addition to Mr. Rosello, I'd like to give thanks to William at the bellstand and Nathalie in the club, who both go beyond what you would normally expect. They show that the hotel has high respect for their employees, and let creative people be at their best.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room on the Bay side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear atravellingman,

Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation. We are thrilled to know that you had a memorable stay! Our staff always goes above and beyond to exceed guests’ expectations. Indeed, we have great respect for all of our employees and we encourage vast creativity. Thank you for noticing our shining staff! We are also glad that you were able to experience the Club InterContinental Lounge. It truly is a great insider’s spot, a paradise within paradise. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Miami and please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Jan Carlos is a very professional personal.

Hotel lobby is nice with helpful and friendly staff. Close to Bayside, American Airlines Arena, South Beach, and downtown Miami.

Perfect when you go to Bussines.

1  Thank B0natti
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear B0natti,

Thank you for reviewing the InterContinental Miami. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will make sure to let Juan Carlos as well as the rest of the staff know that they contributed to a memorable stay. Please let us know if we can personally assist you in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Thanks to Jennifer at the check-in desk we were able to get a room in July with a great view. She spent some time trying to locate the room which was perfect for us. The staff was terrific! Great location and awesome views! Although there was construction going on at the time we hardly noticed. Thank you Jennifer and hotel staff for a great week! Enjoyed the work out facilities, spa and beautiful roof top pool area. Our room was large and very comfortable. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Bay view! High floor was very nice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brendaP752
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear brendaP752,

Thank you for the great review. Indeed, we offer spectacular views of Biscayne Bay and Downtown Miami. Our rooms are among the largest in the market and with our renovations we want to provide our guests with modern comforts and a greater overall experience. We will make sure to let Jennifer along with the rest of the staff know that they contributed to a terrific stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Miami on your next visit to our magical city.