“Great location, but not 4 star quality.”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #6 of 124 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Intercontinental the night before our cruise. We booked through Priceline name your own price so we didn't choose this hotel ourselves. According to hotel websites this is a 4 star hotel. I have stayed at a few other 4 star hotels and while this is a nice hotel with a beautiful lobby the bathroom is equivalent to a motel 6 bathroom. I was very disappointed. The shower head is a very cheap model that wasn't working when we arrived. Props to the hotel engineering staff as after I called for service they were here in 9 minutes and fixed it promptly. The actual shower head is not what I would expect of such a prestigious hotel but they got it working. The location is very good. Right on the ocean/biscayne bay overlooking the cruise port. Sits right next to the park and a two minute walk to American Airlines arena. We were awoken at 10:30 am to the sound of drills and saws as the hotel is remodeling the floor directly above us. It is a nice hotel I'm just not convinced that it is 4 star quality.

• Stayed: August 2012
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear dpzguy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Indeed, we are in the middle of renovations and we have made every effort to ensure our guests are not impacted. We are sorry that the look did not quite meet your expectations, but please know that we take your comments seriously as we strive to improve the overall guest experience. We are glad that our Engineering Department was able to assist you in a timely manner. We do hope you consider staying with us again; please let us know if we can personally assist you in making your future stay 4 star quality.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Miami

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have to say I had the best time. I was surprised how comfortable it was for August. The location on Biscayne Bay catches the breeze and I felt like I was on the beach when I was at the pool.

The best of all was the staff in the Club Lounge. I had breakfast, tea and happy hour the entire time I was there. Florangel and her staff made me feel right at home. I want to go back to this hotel as soon as I can.

• Stayed: August 2012
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear 08000,

Thank you for the kind remarks. Indeed, we are located in the perfect location right on Biscayne Bay, offering the best of two worlds, beach and city. We are glad that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities in the Club InterContinental Lounge. We will let Florangel along with the rest of our staff know they made your stay a memorable one. We do hope you keep us in mind when returning to Miami and let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I am not a city person and was dreading attending a conference at this hotel in downtown Miami, but what a pleasant surprise I got. The hotel sits right on the water and is immediately adjacent to a waterfront park full of palm trees, a fountain, walking paths, and lots of shaded grassy areas. The front desk staff was friendly, efficient, and informative. My room was on the 19th floor and had a beautiful view of the water and the skyline. I could watch the cruise ships come in and out from there. The room was huge and looked like it had just been redecorated in a sleek modern style. The big picture window had electric sheer and darkening shades that you can control from the bed. The king sized bed was very comfortable. There was a big L-shaped desk, sofa, table, flat-screen tv, minibar with overpriced drinks and snacks, huge bathroom with closet, big roomy shower with a great shower head, and a safe. In addition to daily room cleaning, someone comes in during early evening to tidy up, close the window shade, turn on a light, and leave a few chocolates. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, but I wish they had stayed open later in the day. The restaurant in the lobby was pricey but very good. There is the Bayside Market a short walk away. It is a tourist trap and I didn't spend any time there but many of my colleagues went there every evening. I found many fabulous restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. The conference facilities were excellent. There is a spa there, too, but I couldn't afford to use it. The only negative mark I give this hotel was that there was a $12 a day charge to use the fitness room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Arminio R, Director of Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Jeanine D,

Thank you for your detailed review. Our hotel is truly an urban oasis and offers a breathtaking view of the bay as well as the Port of Miami, we are glad you had the opportunity to experience it. We also recently renovated our rooms to make them more modern and spacious for our guests. Indeed, we do charge for the fitness center at mySpa, but it grants access to steam, sauna, and other wonderful rejuvenating amenities. We are a top choice for groups and conferences precisely because we offer the best of both worlds: business and leisure! If your travels ever bring you back to Miami, we hope you choose the InterContinental Miami. Please let us know if we could be of assistance in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami for my birthday in May. We found the hotel to be beautiful. Our room was nicely decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom was extremely large with thick towels and a nice white robe. The staff was very professional and assisted us with all of our needs ranging from restaurants, hot spots, points of interest and transportation. Our room had a great view of the Bay followed by a spectacular sunrise in the morning. We also took advantage of the Club Lounge on the 29th floor. The food was delicious and also had a great view of downtown Miami as well. A special thank you goes to Leo in the Club Lounge for the birthday card, wine and cake. You went above and beyond!!! My wife was so impressed with the hotel that she recently returned with three others for a girls night out. Thank you - Bill R.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bill R,

Thank you for the wonderful review about your special stay at the InterContinental Miami. Our staff always goes above and beyond to ensure total guest satisfaction. We are glad to know we exceeded your expectations and we hope you had a wonderful birthday experience with us. We will make sure to let Leo and the rest of our staff know they contributed to an unforgettable experience. We look forward to having you back and please let us know if we can personally assist you in planning your future stay with us.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental Miami while attending a conference held there. the hotel and location are lovely. Right on the waterfront in downtown. They say that the hotel is undergoing renovations, and I am assuming our room (21st floor) had already been renovated. It was very spacious, and nicely decorated. The bathroom was the largest I have seen in a hotel, and spotless.
Some of the bells and whistles included power blinds on the window (controlled by buttons bedside) and the mini-bar refrigerator had sensors that automatically charged your bill when an item was lifted off it's base. I found this out when I questioned all the charges on my bill for items I had not used. They asked if I had moved things around. Yes - I had - so that I could fit my own bottles of water and soda! Big brother is watching...
Be aware that there is a daily charge for wifi (about $17) and also parking is $36/day!!! If you chose to use mass transit the metro-mover is right in front of the hotel, so you may not need a rental car.
I had several occasions to ask for help (first making my reservation, but also when the boarding pass computer wouldn't work and again with that question about the mini-bar). In each case the staff was extremely professional and helpful.
A note - marketplace is less than a 10 (beautiful) minuite walk. Also taking the MetroMover allows easy access to other parts of the city.
All told this is a fabulous hotel - just be aware your stay could cost a lot more that your room rate!

Room Tip: As for a room that has already been renovated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Coretlyou,

Thank you for staying with us and for your detailed review. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the mini-bar and we are glad it was fixed. Our newly renovated rooms were designed with the conveniences of modern comfort! Indeed, there are charges for wifi and parking which allow us to continue to provide the best services possible, there are way to navigate around the city on a budget and it’s great you shared them. It’s fairly easy to use public transportation to get around the main sights to see in the area!. If your travels bring you back to Miami, please let us know if we can personally assist you in planning your future stay at the InterContinental Miami.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was at this hotel on Oct 22 2011. Since the next day I was was off to my cruise. I arrive at about 9:30 pm. Check-in was quick and simple no problem. The night staff were very friendly and helping me out for finding where all the best local restaurant were at. It was a simple 5min taxi ride or a 10min walk in Bayfront Park ( I wanted to go to the Hard Rock Cafe) After I ate I went back to the hotel. For me the room I had was very nice the bed was comfortable, nice view of the ocean , pretty large bathroom , just perfect.

The breakfast buffet that I had at the hotel was very good especially the local Florida fruits. Check-out was also simple. No problems.

The only minor problem I have is not with the hotel itself but with the InterContinental new website design ( they took away the price of food in there menu. they only keep the "Meeting menu price" they could of kept it and just said price could change without notice. Pretty simple. And also the prices of the mini-bar is a little too expensive for what it is ( 5$for a bottle of coke, 9$ for a kit-kat bar) I know the hotel need to make money and all that but come on 14$ for those two things. For 14$ I could have have a those item and a lot more at the local 7-11.

For my final word this is a great hotel for a night stay if your planning a cruise the next day or going home the next day or something else.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Dear WingZeroX,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your accommodations, thank you for your comments and recommendation. Please know, we take all of our guest’s comments seriously and make sure their feedback is taken into account. We have let our meetings team know about the menu suggestions. We look forward to having you back; please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your future stay at the InterContinental Miami.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just returned from a conference that took place at the InterContinental. Loved my spacious room with a very comfortable bed, fine linens, and all the amenities you would expect of a luxury hotel, plus an alarm clock equipped with a port for one's ipod and elegant drapes that go up and down electronically, revealing a nice view of Biscayne Bay. All staff at the hotel were pleasant, from front desk to housekeepers to hostess at the restaurant. It is a 20 minute ride from the airport, and a 10 minute walk along the water leads to a shopping mall and dockside restaurants, where one can catch a sightseeing tour bus or rent a bicycle.

However, the dinner served at our Saturday night banquet was almost inedible. Petite filet mignon was so overcooked it tasted like liver. I think they should give the conference organizers a refund.

The salad I had for lunch in the lobby restaurant was fresh and tasty, but another day friends joined us at our table for dinner, ordered a hamburger, and after 45 minutes had to cancel their order to get to a film showing in time. The omelet I had at the breakfast buffet was made in front of me, but the eggs didn't taste fresh and the coffee is terrible (thankfully there's a Starbuck's on the premises). But the wait staff certainly try to please and there was a nice assortment of ripe fresh fruit, yogurts, meats and cheeses.

Bottom line: lovely place to get a good night's sleep but don't count on a good meal with prompt service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay in the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear HLaurie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with your dinner and lunch. We want you to know that we take your comments seriously and have addressed the issues you faced. Our goal is to ensure that each guest has a memorable experience. I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations and that our staff provided you with the best service possible. If your travels ever bring you back to Miami, we hope you come back to the InterContinental Miami. Please let us know if we can personally assist you in making your future stay a perfect one.